HC Forums Podcasting Network :-)

modul8

• Members

Please forgive me if I've missed the boat on this one but, isn't it about time HC forums began a padcast? A series of podcasts really?

This seems like a missed opportunity. I've become a bit of a TWiT.tv junkie of late with Macbreak Weekly and net@nite. It just seems that with the resources HC has available in terms of knowledge and experience (Craig, Bruce, Phil...), that something great is bound to come out of a meeting of the minds.

With technologies such as Skype and Talkshoe, round table discussions including participants from literally around the globe can happen quite economically. It's not like anyone involved would be put out for the cost of recording the discussions ;-)

Suggestions anyone?

Perhaps a supplement to Pro Reviews including discussions with designers/engineers/company representatives.

The best stories/experiences of S.S.S : Who doesn't like to hear what Bruce has to say on this subject?

Tips and tricks: One of my favorite aspects of Sound on Sound is their software tips for major apps and their Mix Rescue series. I think a great number of visitor to the HC forums would appreciate and benefit from this type of a resource.

Recording, though and art, has a layer of technological abstraction that can cloud learning and growth (Logic Pro VI interfaces?). Not everyone can get an internship in a decent studio environment or afford an institutional education of questionable value.

The industry is radically changing and I see this as an opportunity to manage that change back toward the wisdom and experience of the artisans away from the wake of marketing nonsense.

Am I alone here?

Heck, I might even be willing to donate time for editing duties.

• Members

Good food for thought!

I used to participate from time to time in online "open mics" with a number of musicians from the old Mp3.com through one of the pre-Skype online audio chat services (sorry, I can't remember which one though I'm probably still a member)...

The technology was still a bit shaky... only one person could talk at a time (wait -- THAT's a good thing, innit? :D ) but they had a little text chat window, too, which was actually kind of fun because while someone was playing (very lo fi, I might add) the rest of us could be backchatting and cracking jokes... sometimes people would try to make you laugh in the middle of a song. It was great fun. (Even though Skype can sound pretty good for voice -- its "background noise reduction" technology makes music come out pretty skranky... I was a bit disappointed on that front.)

But I like a lot of your ideas and some of them could certainly be implemented.

BBs are well-liked (by some) for a lot of reasons: they're a blend of non-realtime and near-realtime interaction; you can come and go at your own discretion without upsetting the social fabric (as a rule); they've been exteneded to some extent to encompass online multimedia.

But there's no reason the kind of social interaction they offer can't be further extended in ways we may not have even thought of yet.

Archived