TC, E-MU, Yamaha, or Focusrite!!!

aboammar

• Members

Hi every one ... :)

After what I heared about the Onyex F400, I decided to play it safe and go with other brand.

Dear Anderton .. or any one, I have decided to go with one of the folowing, and I appreciate very much any to help chose the one for my needs:

1- Focusrite Saffire LE

2- Yamaha GO46

3- TC Electronic Konnekt 24D

4- TC Electronic Konnekt 8

5- E-MU 1616M PCI

I will be using it ONLY with Windows based system, and the main DAW is Sony Acid 6 Pro.

PLease note that all I care about is the sonic quality, stability and durabilty (in other word Quality with zero problem)

Also, built in DSP is not big deal to me as I will never use it. I like to monitor directly via my DAW as my PC is powerfull, and I do not think I will face any latteny problems. Here is the basic spec of my new PC, in case someone has a comment:

- Alienware Area-51 ALX Workstation

- Intel Core2 Extreme QX6700 2.66GHz (Quad Core) 8MB Cache 1066MHz FSB & High-Performance Liquid Cooling

- 4GB DDR2 Performance SDRAM at 800MHz

- 500GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7,200 RPM w/ 16MB Cache (System HDD)

- 500GB (2 x 250GB) Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7,200 RPM w/ 2 x 8MB Cache (Extreme Performance (RAID 0) AV HDD)

- 768MB NVIDIA

• Members

Out of what you listed, the Focusrite is not only the safest bet, but has the most solid drivers and the Pre's/Converters sound nice. My brother has the EMU which is ok(but......)(uses it on a spare desktop and the 1820M on another), we returned the TC(not ready for prime time yet) but didn't try the Yamaha you mention and wound up getting the Focusrite for one laptop, and the PreSonus FireBox for another. That's our experience. All the stuff we bought was tested with both AMD/Intel desktops and laptops and different chipsets(Nforce 2/Via Kt800/ULi/Intel 950/ATi).

• Members

Originally posted by Alndln2

Out of what you listed, the Focusrite is not only the safest bet, but has the most solid drivers and the Pre's/Converters sound nice. My brother has the EMU which is ok(but......)(uses it on a spare desktop and the 1820M on another), we returned the TC(not ready for prime time yet) but didn't try the Yamaha you mention and wound up getting the Focusrite for one laptop, and the PreSonus FireBox for another. That's our experience. All the stuff we bought was tested with both AMD/Intel desktops and laptops and different chipsets(Nforce 2/Via Kt800/ULi/Intel 950/ATi).

Thank you very much Alndln2 for your help :)

On the other hand, I have dicreased my options into only two:

1- Focusrite Saffire LE ($299.99)

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SaffireLE/

2- Yamaha GO46 ($379.99)

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GO46/

Which one is better in term of sonic quality, and stability in Acid 6 Pro (Windows XP SP2)?

Normally, I trust Yamaha in term of build quality & durabilty, but I could not find any review about it, thus I have no idea how it sonds in compare to Focusrite Saffire LE. Any idea?

• Members

I'm not sure about the "Sonic Quality" part of your question.

Sonic quality can be a very subjective matter.

I recently used the Mackie 400F, in my minority opinion it has the best Pre-Amp "on an interface" that I have heard.

If I were you, I will go to a store with a good return policy, buy one interface bring it home, record several songs on it, take it back, exchanged it for another one, record the same songs again.

Do it until you have recorded songs an all the interfaces you have expressed interest in. Then listen to the sound and make your decision.

Interfaces are not "hypocrites" they'll show their true color in the first few tries. To me this is the only way to come to a conclusion of what will truely work for you.

I recently recorded a song with the 400F and I find it hard convincing myself that I used the 400F. It sounds "great" and I am my biggest critic.

I could tell you the Yamaha is good based on their history but it's all subjective.

Audioicon

• Members

One thing about the 1616: It does have a cardbus option for laptops. That gives lower latency than FireWire-based devices and can also be used without the dock if you just want really good playback.

Regarding the comment on the FireBox above...I've found that its main charm is that it will work with anything. Seems very solid and stable with any program and any computer.

• Members

Thank you very much audioicon for your help :)

However, your recomendation is ideal, but it can not be done, as this kind of products is not availble in my country, so the only way to buy is via online copnaies, normally Sweetwater. I guess this give you guys the idea why I am asking.

I purshased the Saffire from sweetwater, so I know how it sounds, and I like it, however it had some problems (making strange noises!!) which Focusrite was unable to solve, so they asked me to return it.

Most often I will go with the LE version of Saffire, if it is better than the Yamaha, but how can I tell if none availble in my country?

Anderton, have you tested the Yamaha, or by chance know someone who did?

• Members

Well it's very unfortunate, just so you know you can call Yamaha/Focusrite/TC/E-MU and ask if they have authorized dealers in your country.

Authorized dealer can be anyone, for example an authorized dealer could be an electronic store that's not related to only music instrument.

But you know where you live better then me so I'll leave it there.

Some interfaces give whinning noise, these noise usually don't get into the audio it self.

If the noise is little and you can bear it and it doesn't get in the audio, then I'll say use the interface.

Your concern about noise should be focus on the audio.

What noise are you having?

Audioicon

• Members

Thanks audioicon for your help :)

Well, I did go to authorised dealers in Yemen, but they do not stock such items, THey will have to order it for me, and no refund.

About your concern about Saffire, that was a strange noise that comes and go, and it does get into my recording. I sent an MP3 file to Focusrite, and the asked me to send it back becouse it seems a defectiv unit.

I will replace it with either Yamaha, or Saffire LE, becouse the Saffire (with DSP) is no use to me, since they both use the same preamp. I just want to know if the Yamaha has even better preamp?

• Members

When it comes to Pre-Amps I'll say Focusrite has a better history of the specific product. If Focusrite made Keyboards and Pianos and I wanted to buy a keyboard/piano between Yamaha and Focusrite, I'll go with Yamaha because they have more knowledge and a long/better history with the product.

This doesn't mean Yamaha does not have a better Pre-Amp, but Focusrite "lives pre-amp.

If you were looking for my vote, I'll go with Yamaha, just love their products and their support.

Audioicon.

• Members

THanks audioicon again for your support :)

I just want to how good the preamps of Saffire LE compairing to the Yamaha one? If it is just a littel better, I mean not a huge diffrence, then I would go with Yamaha, becouse I trust Yamaha built quality.

Lookin forward for any information >>>>>

• Members

To be honest with you, it's all subjective, I use to be one of the people thinking you needed to have $10000.0000.0000 to get a decent pre-amp but Mackie changed all that with the Onyx.

If you are looking at pres then go with the Mackie Satellite.

BTW, the noise on the 400F has been rectified.

Regardless what I tell you, "Sound quality is very subjective."

Only you can make your judgement.

I have not used anyone of those, Yamaha/Focusrite, so cannot tell you the difference.

Audioicon

• Members

Well ... thanks audioicon for your help anyway. I still read posts about the F400 problems even with a new units, and I would like to play it safe ....

I think Iwill go with Yamaha, and I will pray to God that it is better than the Saffire ...

THanks again for your help :)

Archived