Remote recording

temnov

• Members

I have a question and if you can share you experience it will be great.

I'll make a recording for jazz duet, where a sax-player is in Russia and the keyboard guy is in US. While they know each other and I made some of their recording before they are concern that it won't be a "real thing" if we record them part by part, not at once. I'm trying to find a solution to make their recording over the net. I'm using Cubase SX3.1 or Cubase 4, my friend in Russia will probably be using the same software.

So, I think we're talking about some kind of plugin with delay compensation during recording and monitoring.

Did you do that kind of recording over the Internet and what tools did you use?

Thanks.

• Members

Man don't you think that if it was possible the guys from Newsnetwork didn't use it?

Watch CNN when they have someone on ait who's on the other side of the world,... notice the delay.

If this could be fixed with a simple plugin don't ya think these guys wouldn't use it right away?

If you go one way it's possible.

Let's say the guy in Russia starts playing and you in the States starts half a second later,... you could jam along with him. He can't hear you because the audio you produce has to get back at him and that takes time.

It's just impossible over such a distance.

• CMS Author

Man don't you think that if it was possible the guys from Newsnetwork didn't use it?

Watch CNN when they have someone on ait who's on the other side of the world,... notice the delay.

If this could be fixed with a simple plugin don't ya think these guys wouldn't use it right away?

It doesn't work for interactive jamming, but people "phone in" overdub parts quite frequently now. It's all in adjusing the monitor delay on the receiving end. And, in fact, one that I saw at the NAMM show a couple of years back was actually built to work with ProTools. It worked through a dedicated server (you paid for server time as well as the program) and what you actually heard was audio in a compressed format, but you recorded a real PCM file. When the "producer" receives the PCM file via FTP or some other file transfer process, he drops it in to the project.

For talent-challanged people like me, they had a demo system set up for doing a voice-over. I played the role of the VO talent, communicated via voice (like studio talkback) with the producer who was actually (so they told me) in an office in downtown LA, we did a run-through, changed the script in a couple of places, and then put down the part. She played it back to me, I punched in a sentence, and then I got bored with the demo, but it clearly was workable.

(a) I can't remember the name of the system

(b) They didn't show up again the next year

I can't see this working for a jazz duo however.

• Members

Thanks you, Mike. It's jazz and musicians are very good and for them the feel of playing together is the most important.

Well, I made some research and found those sites. eJamming was the one that I saw on web sometime ago. I'll probably try it for my project.

http://www.masternewmedia.org/music_collaboration/music_jamming/online_music_collaboration_software_eJamming_20050928.htm

http://www.ejamming.com/

What do you think about this, Boosh?

• Members

kidding, right?

no - I've played music to people over skype and they could have sung along - If I had bothered to record it I could have played it back. Skype is VIOP, it doesn't use the standard telephone lines - it's puter to puter and the quality is way above the telephone quality.

It's the only system I know of that you could try to get want you want.

sorry if you think it's silly.

• Members

no - I've played music to people over skype and they could have sung along

If you go one way it allways works no matter what the delay is but if you want to jam simultaniously it just won't work.

The saxplayer has to play,...then the sound has to go all the way to the other side of the world where the keyboardplayer gets it and plays along.

There is no problem there,...the delay that occurs won't be disturbing. for the keyboard player but it will be when the saxplayer gets the keyboard back,...

You're dealing with a two way delay then which is just to large to deal with for live musicians.

What he could try is use that Ejamming thinghy and instead of using a real sax use a midisax.

Archived