OT: Do you listen to music at 'work'?

echoshock

• Moderators

I listen to Classical or Jazz. Bach mostly, or Miles. McCoy Tyner... It seems I can concentrate on work and the music and they both feed off each other. Anything else and I get the wrong part of my brain involved and I mentally stumble.

Having a forum or two open down on the taskbar works well too. It's like looking out the window for a little mental break. But that's more of a diversion.

• Members

I have a Creative 20Gb mp3 player that I run into my Bose Wave cd player.

The music is important to my work area...I am a phlebotomist, and having music playing in my lab helps put people at ease.

I usually keep it on my 60 and 70s pop collection which is about 5Gb's in size...put it on shuffle, and I don't hear any repeats between Monday and Thursday.

• Members

I've always been a person that either listened to music... or didn't. As in, if I was working, I'm doing it in silence, and if I'm listening to music, I'm not working. Hey, it's hard to have a conference call when Iron Maiden is screaming in the background. And it's hard to listen to Iron Maiden when some yokel is jabbering in your ear about profit margins. :)

Lately, I've found myself getting into leaving ambient music on while I work, especially while I'm writing or creating artwork. Not new age, not light jazz (puke!), not techno... ambient.

I like this streaming station: http://www.radioio.com/radioioambient.php

Try it.. you might like it too.

- Jeff

I can not put music as "background noise".

If I like it, I sing, dance, tap my fingers and feet to the rhythm or plainly stop doing whatever I do to listen to it. Yeah, even air drumming goes with it.

If I do not like it, I turn it off. Or Puke. Or both. I can get really mad if there is some "bad" (for my tastes) music around.

That is why whenever as possible, I do never work while "listening" music. Or TV.

Unless of course, I'm recording, mixing, scoring something :D

• Members

For all of you with day jobs... Do you listen to music at work? And if you do, can you NOT be distracted by it?

I'm finding it difficult. Although the air drumming on my desk sure makes me look cool.
:freak:

I often listen to music while I design and code sites and apps but if I find myself unable to concentrate I either turn it off or change it.

Since I'm a big jazz fan, that works out well. But I'm ALSO going through a real bluegrass jag and I'll put on a big slug of Louvins, Stanleys, Flatt & Scrugs -- but after a while all those songs about murdered girlfriends, snake-bit babies, et al, after a while I have to go back to jazz. ;)

• Members

I rarely listen to music outside of work. In the car, it's generally talk radio.

One of the reasons I stopped taking clients -- aside from the fact that I simply couldn't charge enough money to live on.

I'd stop working on someone else's music and go park myself in front of the idiot box... and I found my desire to work on anyone's music -- including my own -- slipping away.

If you feel like that, you can't do a good job for anyone, including yourself.

Some of us were MADE to have day jobs. ;)

• Members

Yes. Sometimes I get too busy and forget to turn it on but usually I have music on. I never listen to commercial radio because I find it distracting. For a few years I had XM in my office but dumped it a few months ago when they dropped Luna. Now I have an external drive with my 1300+ CD's ripped at good quality, and a set of MAudio speakers. A bunch of smart playlists in iTunes works well for me.

Robert

• Members

Depends on the day and my brain-state. Like today, I'm doing computer maintenance and updates and it's raining outside so it's a great day for some droney-glitchy-ambienty stuff filling out the background.

At other unpredictable times I'm super distraction-intolerant, so music is out until my mood changes. Especially music with a lot of voices and crammed lyrics. Like Elvis Costello or Cake or any hip-hop.

That's not to say I don't have my days when I work best at complex stuff with Led Zeppelin pounding away.

Lucky I work alone, huh?

nat whilk ii

• Members

I have the radio on constantly at work. Thing is, I cannot stand listening to commercials. :mad: They are uber irritating. When they come on, I usually turn down the volume. And before someone suggests I get satellite radio, I get really lousy reception in my room, with zero option of an outside antenna.

Archived