Recent albums you'd listen to from beginning to end...?

rasputin1963

• Members

I don't know that it's conceptual in the way that you describe, but in my opinion, Red Hot Chili Peppers "Stadium Arcadium" plays quite well all the way through, all the more impressive as it's a 2-CD release!!

I think you're just rooting for the home town LA folks! :D

• Members

I don't think I listen to anything all the way through with intention except for Beethoven Piano Sonatas or Brahms Symphonies. Even then I sometimes zone out, actually.

Nah....not even Sgt Pepper. I skip through "She's Leaving Home" and "Being For The Benefit of Mr Kite". And I always wished that the White Album had been edited down to one LP.

I can't be cured.

nat whilk ii

• Members

It seems rarer today that popular musical artistes conceive an album to be a "concept" or a "song cycle" or a "Gesamtkunstwerk" designed to be listened to IN ORDER, from beginning to end... Maybe that very concept is a relic of the 60's and 70's...

I think you're right, there aren't any I can think of other than American Idiot by Green Day or Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots from the Flaming Lips, and that's kind of pushing it. They just don't make 'em like Tommy, DSOTM or Thick As A Brick anymore. :(

• Moderators

John Mayer's latest

Rod Stewart doing cover versions of 70's and 80's songs. It's cool from the point of view of interpretation. He does a suprisingly good job. There is zero creativity in the arrangements but that still works because it's like the world's greatest cover band led by Kenny Aranof. It absolutely doesn't suck like you think it might. I heard it in Borders and made an impulse buy. It's cool.

Ray Lamontagne's Trouble

Miles' Kind of Blue again and again

Peter Gabriel's drippy face. "I am.... the intruder" :thu:

Lot's a Bach piano (Gould still rules)

Maria Callas Puccinni Arias

And for my daughter, All American Rejects, which is not that different from taking a hammer and tapping your forehead for 45 minutes.

All of these front to back.

• Members

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium

Pearl Jam - Pearl Jam

Incubus - A Crow Left of the Murder

Incubus - Light Grenades

Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf

System of a Down - Mezmerize/Hypnotize

Mark Lanegan - Field Songs

Jack Johnson - In Between Dreams

Calexico - Feast of Wire

Beck - Sea Change

BTW, neither is really a "concept album", but I have recently listened to each of them all the way through, with no skipping of songs or interuptions.

I'm afraid that the "album format as art form" is, if not dead at the moment, pretty close to it in this day and age of user compiled / burned CD's, iPods, iTunes, etc.

Archived