Someone sent me 3 books about mixing...

boosh

• Members

So this morning when I checked my mail I received three PDF files.

I have no clue who the person is that send them to me. Weird action.

The Pdfs are

1/ How to mix a popsong from scratch

2/ Mix pro audio series - The Mixing Engineer's Handbook - Bobby Owsinski

3/ Mastering Audio - Bob Katz

Now I have a few questions:

1/Can the person who send me these PDFs tell who he or she is? Emails bounce back.

2/Did you send these PDFs because you think I can't mix or did you send them to help me learn?

3/To all other people: Have anyone of you ever read these books and are they helpful?

Booshy

• Members

A mystery gift.

You can share them if you want by forwarding the PDF's to me.

How's life in Holland. I'll be visiting there soon again to see all my friends that I used to work with at Philips. Very nice place to live and gig.

If you ain't Dutch, you ain't much - my Philips friends always try and tell me...

• CMS Author

PDFs of the whole books, or PDFs about the books? I have a copy of the Katz book and it's a really good read and an occasoinal handy reference. But the only part about it that will help you mix better is that it emphasizes that you can't mix right what you can't hear right, and there's a fair amount of material on what you should be concerned about to get better monitoring - but not always how to do it.

• Members

A mystery gift.

You can share them if you want by forwarding the PDF's to me.

How's life in Holland. I'll be visiting there soon again to see all my friends that I used to work with at Philips. Very nice place to live and gig.

If you ain't Dutch, you ain't much - my Philips friends always try and tell me...

Life in Holland is great except for the weather allthough global warming is a nice gift for us.

About sharing the PDFs,..... I don't think that's legal so sorry,..

There was a time I downloaded warez and apps but after a long conversation with Anderson and Klopmeyer I realized that was not the way to run my bussiness.

• Members

PDFs of the whole books, or PDFs about the books? I have a copy of the Katz book and it's a really good read and an occasoinal handy reference. But the only part about it that will help you mix better is that it emphasizes that you can't mix right what you can't hear right, and there's a fair amount of material on what you should be concerned about to get better monitoring - but not always how to do it.

I haven't really looked into them but from what I see they are the complete books.

• Members

Hey Booshi,

C O O L after Christmas gift for ya my friend.

I'd be interested in reading what Bob Katz has to say.

A few years ago I sent him an album I'd just finished, so I'd check out his pdf.

While your at it I saw in the pictures of your Studio, that it was pretty clean ... can you come over and help me clean mine, to make it look more like yours :wave: Ha!! Ha!!

Russ

Nashville

• Members

I have no clue who the person is that send them to me. Weird action.

The Pdfs are

Now I have a few questions:

1/Can the person who send me these PDFs tell who he or she is? Emails bounce back.

2/Did you send these PDFs because you think I can't mix or did you send them to help me learn?

3/To all other people: Have anyone of you ever read these books and are they helpful?

Booshy

To paraphrase an old US TV advert about halitosis ("bad breath") -- "Sometimes even your best friend won't tell you to your face."

:D :D :D

• CMS Author
I haven't really looked into them but from what I see they are the complete books.

In that case you should probalby delete them immediately and say three Hail Marys. As far as I know, none of those books has been (legally) distributed as PDF files. Nice gift if you keep it, though - if you like reading a book on your computer or have a lot of paper to make your own printed copy.

• Members

In that case you should probalby delete them immediately and say three Hail Marys. As far as I know, none of those books has been (legally) distributed as PDF files. Nice gift if you keep it, though - if you like reading a book on your computer or have a lot of paper to make your own printed copy.

The books are scanned into the computer.

I'll skip through them but have little time to read everything.

I'm not religious so I skip the Hail MaryJanes too.

The books are scanned into the computer.

... that was a guy with a lot of time in his hands...

Booshie, even with your minimal equipment you can get great sounding mixes, besides of the fact your music is also good. so you should not think anything wrong for getting such gifts.

Even if it was an act of envy or whatever, just keep the books.

That one from Bob Katz is simply a great read even for experienced people.

• Members

The second and third books on your list are both very good and worth buying - I've never heard of the first one before, so no comment on that one.

Agreed, I have both and they are good, indeed. Never seen the first one, too.

• Members

... that was a guy with a lot of time in his hands...

Booshie, even with your minimal equipment you can get great sounding mixes, besides of the fact your music is also good. so you should not think anything wrong for getting such gifts.

Even if it was an act of envy or whatever, just keep the books.

That one from Bob Katz is simply a great read even for experienced people.

I found out who did it. It's not someone from the forum but a Dutch studio-owner I know. He thought I might be interested in the reading material and he keeps scanned copies of all his books because he's afraid of housefires(weird one).

I'm reading the Mixing engineers handbook for now,mainly because it has a part about Bruce in it.

Very Cool Book!,... Next to read is the Bob Katz one.

There's a lot of stuff in the book I allready work with and I see that I use the same strategies as the Pros. EQ I never use however because I don't know diddly about cutting or boosting frequencies. Here's where the books come in very handy.

Hey Guz,... by the way,... when will we share a bottle of Tequila again? It's allmost been 3 years since we've met in person and that was way too short.

Booshy

• Members

There's quite a lot of useful information & tips in Bob's book that can be applied to mixing.

In particular, the Ying/Yang of EQ'ing is tops on my list. But, there are many other gems on compression, parallel compression, K-System metering (which I find exceptionally useful every day), cailbrated monitoring and a proper monitor set-up, the chapter on depth and dimension (haas effect, etc...)

Archived