Who here's into RSS, podcasts, etc.?

Lee Knight

• Members

I put in what felt like the better part of two weeks learning enough to get my blog theoretically reported out into the blogosphere and get its podcast component to show up in the iTunes podcast listings... and then I forgot everything.

:D

But I searched my bookmarks and this looked like the only really informative thing in there: http://publisher.yahoo.com/help.php#dontchange

And here's Yahoo's podcast search thang -- it's been in beta for close to two years, I guess they ARE mimicking Google: http://podcasts.yahoo.com/ [And I have to say that it certainly is not doing its job all that well... I searched on myself and only found less than half listed, with no rhyme or reason to why (I was afraid they went up to a certain point where I changed something but, no, they just kind of jump around). But you might find some decent general info if you poke around there. There was 15 minutes once a few years back when I thought Yahoo might actually make something of themselves but... I dunno. When they bought my subscription music service that just got way worse. My Yahoo Calendar has SOMEONE ELSE posting in it. (And mine is NOT an open calendar. I'm the only one with access -- or at least supposed to be.) Anyhow... sorry to digress.]

• Members

I'm doing some podcasts - video and audio for the World Trade Center. It's pretty easy - it's just a way of learning and using some new tools. When I started I read some info on iTunes and yahoo. For RSS I'm using Podifier

http://www.podifier.com/

For video I used Pinniacle Studio Plus 10 but now I'm switching to Sony Vegas 7.

Audio editing is made in Cubase SX 3.1 and Wavelab 6.

• Members

I'm looking to better understand RSS, Podcasts, and the like and I 'm wodering if any of you here are up on the subject. Any recommendations for getting up to speed. Books? Websites?

In terms of accessing? producing/distributing? SW dev ?

• Moderators

In terms of accessing? producing/distributing? SW dev ?

Yes. ;)

I want to understand the basics of the technology. From producing, to posting to accessing, etc. RSS seems to be popping up everywhere and I'm in the dark.

Blue - Nice resources. I'll look deeper into these.

Temnov - You too. I've read a little about Podifier and I will dig in more.

Thanks everyone.

• Members

Yes.
;)

I want to understand the basics of the technology. From producing, to posting to accessing, etc.

just so I'm clear, the basics from a SW dev standpoint (ie coding apps to read podcasts, extending the use of RSS technology - extensibility and whatnot, etc -- the innards) is of interest to you ?

or is it more from a "user" prspective (ie learning to distribute and accesss)?

"All of it" can get a bit monkey paw with a lot of that kind of stuff

• Moderators

just so I'm clear, the basics from a SW dev standpoint (ie coding apps to read podcasts, extending the use of RSS technology - extensibility and whatnot, etc -- the innards) is of interest to you ?

or is it more from a "user" prspective (ie learning to distribute and accesss)?

"All of it" can get a bit monkey paw with a lot of that kind of stuff

Whoa! And thanks for clarifying... no coding. I want to get some material that will explain how to set up Podcast subscriptions. For instance, someone wants to offer their employees a weekly "radio show" podcast of the CEO doing his company updates, HR updates, etc. I'd like to be able to understand enough to enable them not just record weekly, but to post the podcast.

Whatever that means. And that's why I'm looking to educate myself. It looks like a very interesting technology that could be used in many ways that it isn't yet.

I bought Hacks for Poscasting. It's a start but leans to heavily on coding. I don't want to head in that direction. It also talks about micing etc, and I don't need that.

How do you provide podcasts that can be subscribed to. I really know nothing of this stuff and am looking to get my feet wet.

Edit: And by the way, the Yahoo RSS guide suggested by Blue looks like what I need. Any book suggestions are more than welcome.

• Members

Because one of the things I've done for other people is develop web database content management/e-commerce, I considered for a while doing my own content manager -- and in some ways I wish I had (I came up with the bright idea for my blog less than a week before I wanted to start it, on the fall equinox in 2005 so I wasn't crazy about that kind of project rush -- particularly when I was trying to earn a living -- it wasn't so much the database work that put me off -- it was trying to unravel the ball of confusion surrounding RSS -- and the hassles peculiar to getting things listed in iTunes, which has its own idiosyncratic requirements).

But I ended up using the services of Google's www.blogger.com for the basic CMS and RSS management (I still had to figure out iTunes podcast listing requirements and tinker things into shape for that -- unfortunately, it's all a blank. PSD, I guess. Hopefully it's all better documented, now.) That got me up and running pretty fast (iTunes notwithstanding) but it was not without tradeoffs -- like so many Google services, there are some quirks to Blogger, to be sure. You CAN customize the "templates" quite a bit but the way the archiving works is a bit rigid -- and they no lnoger have a calendar interface -- which is, as far as I'm concerned, a near-fatal lack. One tip: the Blogger interface seems to be a better fit with FireFox... but because of bugs/limitations in FF1.5x that make working harder (no search in posts, etc) it's probably best to get FF2.x

Archived