How do you sell mp3s on a webpage?

boosh

• Members

Say I want to put up little snippets of mp3s on a website with a link to buy the whole mp3 for .99ct .

Is there a company that offers a solution for that?

I don't mean something like CDbabay or an outside link,..it has to be integrated in our website.

• Members

Wow, funny you mention this, I lucked into something on this yesterday. If Paypal charges $.30, that makes something like digstation look wonderful. Because it charges exactly that but they do all the work your own website would have to do to take the orders. And yes, they allow snippets of songs because that is how I found them. I've seen others that you get $.60 out of $.99 but with digstation, you get $.70.

• Members

as i understand it, PayPal charges 3% for transactions - that means only $0.03 per song sale. we are considering doing the same thing on one of our websites. we will post clips, and sell the entire songs via PayPal. after payment is confirmed, we will email the mp3 file to the buyer. multiple song sales will be distributed via a free FTP site.

• Members

Good thread.

I've seen two in the last week, one is snocap, founded by napster CEO, they get .39 out of every .99 cents. You can create a store on their website, and link it on your page. They write checks monthly after you've made 20 bucks. Free the first year, you have to pay them after that.. The other is soundclick, I believe they're getting .30 out of every .99 cents and send checks weekly.

• Members

You should definitely check out www.Soundclick.com -- it's probably the largest "open" site that allows artists to upload and sell their music (or give it away) with no up front charges. (Although they do have pay accounts that allow you to upload (and sell, if you want, longer, higher quality files.) The artist has the option of making his songs stream-only and even making them "snippets" (which ALWAYS ticks me off... let the seller beware).

The artist keeps 70% (far more than iTUnes, for instance) and -- unlike MySpace -- the infrastructure is well programmed and seems quite stable. (If you want to get your music on iTunes you might want to check out www.tunecore.com which will jump through the hoops for you for a relatively small flat fee.)

Soundclick has been around for about ten years but really took off after Vivendi Universal dismantled the old Mp3.com (and sold its nameplate to the often clueless CNET for a cool million. CNET proceeded to try to turn it into yet another corporate portal which apparently fell on its face and they now accept micro-indie artists once again -- but as far as I can tell there's no traffic. Unlike the old Mp3.com, though, they neither offer on-demand CD sales or DL sales. It's basically a ghost site, now.)

And Soundclick now offers "personal pages" for fans and artists alike (not unlike MySpace personal pages -- except that they aren't always breaking down and erroring out).

They've been pumping a lot of effort into adding features (and improving the artists' back end interface) lately and the changes are quite impressive. If you haven't been there in a while, it's worth checking out again.

• Members

looks cool, although, I don't know what their ccard fees are per $.99 download AND... there is no operable link to sign up that I can find. Crap like that on a webpage drives me nuts. You click the sign up page and there is no way to proceed that I found.

OMG... that is HILARIOUS.

Their sign-up page has no link for signing up. But it does have several links that say "sign up" and such that just reload the same page.

http://www.indietunes.com/create_artist.php?osCsid=80b7e6709f0e84dc73b2cce3580cb768

Woof!

THEN there's the "Downloading... 100%" image... it's just a fixed image. As is the whole page just one big image with some link maps. VERY My First Webpage, circa 1996.

DUMB.

• Members

That reminded me of this: Cartoon Network's Aqua Teen Hunger Force ( the people who brought you the rampant overreaction of the Boston area authorities) have a special low bandwidth site set up for the upcoming movie!

Aqua Teen Hunger Force Low bandwidth Site!

Whoa!

I had to leave before I was done because I was listening to an interview on creativity and neuroscience and I couldn't see how to turn off the page's autoplay audio.

But my first impression was, "Oh my!" :eek:

• Members

Well the idea Angelo is turn our website into a fundraiser.

We want to sell our own stuff to rent a place in which we can build a cheap recordingstudio for the poor people and especially Kids.

That's why I don't want to give up 33cts a Dollar.

If we can set up studio like that we can teach young people that have no money(haha just like us) hpw to record and mix their own music and think of other things in life than their problems at school or home.

• Members

Micropayments are still kind of problematic for the interweb as a whole (the larger transactions can absorb the processing cost of the individual transactions) from a profitability standpoint and the guys with the bigger operations have an economy of scale and processing relationships that you aren't really going to be able to individually access

[additional : poops! looks like some solutions to the micropayment stuff has been mentioned already]

Depending on the laws of your area, you may want to check into charitable organization status -- either way, as a legally recognized charitale org or advertising as/solicitng funds based on that premise -- watch to comingling

(ie "I want a studio where I can teach the kids, but I also want to use the studio for my own stuff") as that can get problematic

• Members

I want a studio where I can teach the kids, but I also want to use the studio for my own stuff - as that can get problematic

Those two things have to be strictly seperate.

The majority of things that need to be done to get my music recorded are done right here in our house.

We need a small space Like two our three rooms where we can work with the kids.

Free drum lessons. Free guitarlessons. Free recording and editing lessons etc etc.

• Members

Those two things have to be strictly seperate.

Most probably - I'd suggest securing counsel...as you are looking at doing it as a charitable endeavour...you can prob get some pro bono advice

The majority of things that need to be done to get my music recorded are done right here in our house.

just watch the "majority" v the "entirety" -- the slip (piercing the veil) happens oh so easily

We need a small space Like two our three rooms where we can work with the kids.

Free drum lessons. Free guitarlessons. Free recording and editing lessons etc etc.

wonderful! get a lawyer, seriously (esp as you are going to be doing fundraising) - there could be issues surrounding these activities of which we aren't immediately aware -- lawyers get a bad name the same way dentists do -- folks don't go until it's root canal time

• Members

You could sell only packages of 15 mp3 for $10.00

Well the idea Angelo is turn our website into a fundraiser.

We want to sell our own stuff to rent a place in which we can build a cheap recordingstudio for the poor people and especially Kids.

That's why I don't want to give up 33cts a Dollar.

If we can set up studio like that we can teach young people that have no money(haha just like us) hpw to record and mix their own music and think of other things in life than their problems at school or home.

Archived