Fountains Of Wayne fans... New album

You can't get it yet. It's due out April 3rd.

I've heard it. No, I can't get you a copy, and I can't tell you where or how I heard it. But I CAN tell you I'll be buying a copy as soon as it's released. :phil:

The single ("Someone To Love") is pretty cool. Other notable songs IMO include "Strapped For Cash" and "Planet Of Weed" (which is hilarious!), but I think my favorite is "I-95". As usual, great songcraft - they really understand how to write a great song. It's a very well crafted record too IMO.

You can pre-order the album here. :wave:

• Members

I'm hoping it's good, though I don't think FoW is improving as they make more albums. The last single ("Maureen") was pretty awful. I did really like the tune "The Girl I Can't Forget" from the semi-recent collection they put out. That almost rises to the level of classic FoW.

One more complaint: their recordings are getting progressively crappier and more squashed sounding. Utopia Parkway sounds really cool--almost vintage, but still exciting and loud. Welcome Interstate Managers is listenable, but heavily squashed. Maureen sounded like it was mastered with a Big Muff. Any bets on what the new album will sound like?

• Moderators

I'm sure it'll be good. Lee, you eagerly anticipating this too?

I don't know if you're refering to Flier or Knight, but I'll be buying it. I loved Managers. I think the lyrics are so original and the tunesmithing is first rate. My favorite band that's still together. Well Crowded House is together again so... either of those are tops.

FOW!

• Members

Oh man, I just love FOW! Can't wait for the new album. I remember one song in particular on the last one; "I'll do the driving from now on" I think it was. Read in the liner notes that the song really pissed off the songwriter's wife.

I just LOL! Funny lyrics just make my day. I put FOW up there with Barenaked Ladies, Randy Neuman and Harry Neilson in that department!

• Members

I'm SO in.

Like Barenaked Ladies (or with my oldest daughter, Ben Folds), FoW is a band that I appreciate on one level and my kids on another, so we can have a shared music experience. They have "Utopia Parkway", "Welcome Interstate Managers" and "Out Of State Plates" in their iPods.

Looks like they are playing 3 dates only in Boston, NYC, and Philly in late April. Maybe they'll be on the road this summer?

• Members

I don't know if you're refering to Flier or Knight, but I'll be buying it. I loved Managers. I think the lyrics are so original and the tunesmithing is first rate. My favorite band that's still together. Well Crowded House is together again so... either of those are tops.

FOW!

Flier...I didn't know that you liked them too, or I may have written "Lees". :D

• Members

Welcome Interstate Managers has worn well me. Never blew my mind, but never drifted far from circulation either. I'll probabaly certainly check out the new one.

BTW, was there ever any doubt that "All Kinds of Time" would eventually be used in an NFL promotional spot? Ha! What I love about that song is that it is so unambiguously about football--not football as a pop metaphor for courtship, sex, or imperialist acts of aggression, but simply football. It is simply, and purely about a pro quarterback coming into his own, written at the point of maturation, suddenly grokking it, the game slowing down for him. God, I wish Eli would have that moment.

• Members

I've been a huge FOW fan since the first album. I actually sat outside a record store waiting for it to open the day that Utopia Parkway came out.

Of all the great power pop bands that popped up in the mid to late 90's with clever songwriting and timeless melodies, Fountains of Wayne is definitely one of the best.

• Moderators

Welcome Interstate Managers has worn well me. Never blew my mind, but never drifted far from circulation either. I'll probabaly certainly check out the new one.

BTW, was there ever any doubt that "All Kinds of Time" would eventually be used in an NFL promotional spot? Ha! What I love about that song is that it is so unambiguously about football--not football as a pop metaphor for courtship, sex, or imperialist acts of aggression, but simply football. It is simply, and purely about a pro quarterback coming into his own, written at the point of maturation, suddenly grokking it, the game slowing down for him. God, I wish Eli would have that moment.

I had the same thought about it the other day while listening for the 100th time. It's just a slow mo moment of him. Looking for a open man, not sweating, lost in his own focus of what he's doing. That's what I love about their stuff. He creates a specific situation then writes it. Like waiting for a waitress to bring a frickin' cup of coffee already, or the tension of a new job, or getting a tattoo to impress a girl, or driving your van to a laser light show, or falling in love with your girlfriend's mom when you're a kid, or getting cabin fever during the east coast winter and knowing the one you love must have it too and to hang in there, or being on a tour bus heading to the valley of malls, or being reduced to just a hat and feet since you've gone, or hating your asshole boss but it's worth it 'cause you love your girl.

I love them.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I finaly got around to picking this up and I'm very happy. I love the way I can hear other genres and styles blended into thier songs. They've picked up 60's era Herb Alpert, I hear China Grove from the Doobies, 70's synth squigly touches... and very clever lyrics. Strapped For Cash is wonderful, the one about the couple traveling hits a home run too. I like it a lot though I'm only on my sencond time through it.

Interesting ommision. There is not a single reference to booze on this one and there was on almost every track on Managers. Weed gets a nod. Still... plenty of cultural references like the DMV, Coldplay, King of Queens. Lots of great McCartney like bass work too. :thu:

• Members

Hummm, I'm going to be the dissenter here.

Loved Welcome Interstate Managers. I like the new one. I thought the last album had 5-6 inspired tracks and the rest were well crafted songs. With the new album, I hear the craft (in spades), but I don't feel the inspiration.

But I do have my tickets to see FOW in June.

js

• Moderators

Hummm, I'm going to be the dissenter here.

Loved Welcome Interstate Managers. I like the new one. I thought the last album had 5-6 inspired tracks and the rest were well crafted songs. With the new album, I hear the craft (in spades), but I don't feel the inspiration.

But I do have my tickets to see FOW in June.

js

I hear that too. I still love it because I really dig their ideas. Still, what I love most about them is their ability to come up with a unique idea for a song lyric.

A very tired couple travelling but still time to say I love you.

A guy that owes money and doesn't have any.

What would the planet of weed be like?

Falling for the chick that works at the DMV.

Two news anchors hitting on each other using news cliches.

All this stuff is pure FOW and I love them for it. When they get a chord sequence and melody to punch their lyrics a certain way... they kill me..

Archived