Why is "Open Jam" a part of Harmony Central? What's the point of it's existence?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Same reason for the poli forum. Keeps everything in it's place. The problem isn't open jam, it's the neo-troll collective that keep a tight grip on it. They think they're funny, but they aren't. I lurk a lot and most of it's the same joke over and over. One percent of it's funny. If it wasn't for Knobs, I wouldn't even go in. I do like Cranky Bastard and the H--ku (Spelling optional) guy that got banned, too.

I remember a forum that smelled like a gym locker room and it was good when it was good. I didn't even catch half the point, from lack of immersion. Some of the running jokes still puzzle me to this day. People think I'm wierd, but they got me started. They were weird. I'm kind of bummed. I seem to only rate 50% on the Utter BS scale. :(

The Open Jam is like the Seinfeld of forums. There is no point. Balance, as noted by the wise Owl.

NP: Van Halen II

• Members

because of the balance of life. for every pompous pretentious professional, there must be an irreverent caution to the wind crude and juvenile counterpart. neither is better, and neither stays static. it's all like water seeking it's level.

Yes grasshopper, for every ying there must be a yang or the universe would collapse into a regenerative time flux.

Peace out.

• Members

i like it there.... i think it is a great forum, childish... but fun. i think a lot of times people take things FAR too seriously, and that place is definately a release of all seriousness. course its hard to keep up in there with threads... and the changing the name slightly threads joke is annoying. but its great to have that.

• Members

The OJ is unique, you can't deny that, and it is mostly a younger, and sometimes, much younger group of people. I think. It's hard to tell sometimes, but yeah, it's for young people, and/or the eternally young at heart, and of course there's an established clique there, like there is everywhere, but there's no reason for it. It just is. Hope this was helpful.

• Members

I'm just curious as to Why "Open Jam" is part of Harmony Central. Just curious.

What's the meaning and reason the reason it exist.

Audioicon

I'm thinking its purpose is much the same as the politics forum -- to keep all that crap out of this forum.

;)

[Winking, maybe, but not joking.]

• Members

The OJ is unique, you can't deny that, and it is mostly a younger, and sometimes, much younger group of people. I think.

Heh...

I'm 42 and rather enjoy letting off steam by browsing OJ and sometimes contributing to the childishness.

:D

It's simply an outlet.

:thu:

• Members

What's the point of asking why a forum exists? If you don't like it, you don't have to read it - that's why HC has other forums. I don't understand why some people seem to think that if they don't like something personally, it shouldn't exist. Open Jam is a very popular forum and has been here a long time, so it ain't goin anywhere.

• Members

What's the point of asking why a forum exists? If you don't like it, you don't have to read it - that's why HC has other forums. I don't understand why some people seem to think that if they don't like something personally, it shouldn't exist. Open Jam is a very popular forum and has been here a long time, so it ain't goin anywhere.

I'm not sure you were quoting me but I don't hate/dislike OJ but I don't know if I like it either.

I think to be fair to everyone reading this post I should state why I asked about OJ. Before joining Harmony Central, I thought Harmony Central was a place for musicians or at least people interested in music. This is a direct quote from Google search results. Harmony Central: "A musician's community with discussion forums." Please I'm NOT saying Harmony Central should be for only musicians. I'm not saying HC is not a great place. I'm not saying Craig Anderton is not a cool guy! :D

I have no problem with OJ, I guess it's another addition to the main dish.

AI

• Members
I'm not sure you were quoting me but I don't hate/dislike OJ but I don't know if I like it either.

I think to be fair to everyone reading this post I should state why I asked about OJ. Before joining Harmony Central, I thought Harmony Central was a place for musicians or at least people interested in music. This is a direct quote from Google search results. Harmony Central: "A musician's community with discussion forums." Please I'm NOT saying Harmony Central should be for only musicians. I'm not saying HC is not a great place. I'm not saying Craig Anderton is not a cool guy!
:D

I have no problem with OJ, I guess it's another addition to the main dish.

AI

The people who post in Open Jam are musicians too :idea:

• Members

I'm HAPPY the OJ exists.

I'm just glad that we're allowed to be silly here, too. ;)

I guess I was responding to the vitriol I've seen on occasion when I've gone there -- which reminded me more than a little of the political forum but without the "excuse" of supposedly being about something important. Maybe I just was there on the wrong day. But, you know, I think it's great that it's there. And that here is... here.

• Members

Pat;

One way to understand the "why" question might be to reflect on your personal journey and how you find yourself using the internet (what sort of topics you may forward here or there, what you may blog about, etc)

how that might relate to your music;

maybe how, even non-musically, you might find that 'expressive impetus' of a musician might be present in those other uses (and so a musician community might have something to offer there)

and even just as an 'established commuity' musician or not) -- a watering hole where folks gather and how one might find an audience for communication

tha way, it might not seem so alien, so much a "them" but rather an "us" and

"their" motivations might be seen in the light of our own

Archived