Concert tickets - why is it legal for us to be ripped off?

• Members

So, as many of you know, it's nerxt to impossible to buy tickets for a high profile concert these days for face value.

When I was a kid, if you wanted good seats to a concert, you spent the night in line waiting to buy them...and there was a limit as to how many you could buy! Now, any decent concert that gets announced, all the tickets vanish within a few minutes of going on sale...and the lion's share of them seem to end up in the hands of organizations that are more than happy to charge exponentially more than the face value of the tickets. Search the internet for any show - you'll find a whole ton of these organizations, each one with access to a veritable slew of seats...at insane prices.

If you want to see The Police in LA in June, there's plenty of tickets available. You just have to be willing to pay a ridiculous amount. Decent floor seats at the Staples are going for more than $1000 per ticket. Close floor seats are going for closer to $2k per ticket. :freak:

How is this allowed to happen? Isn't this majorly illegal? And who the hell has money/lack of brains enough to pay four figures for a freaking concert ticket? :mad:

dB

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you want to see The Police in LA in June, there's plenty of tickets available. You just have to be willing to pay a ridiculous amount. Decent floor seats at the Staples are going for more than $1000 per ticket. Close floor seats are going for closer to $2k per ticket.
:freak:

How is this allowed to happen? Isn't this majorly illegal? And who the hell has money/lack of brains enough to pay four figures for a freaking concert ticket?
:mad:

dB

Don't you remember the quote? "There's a sucker born every minute".

:D

The Police are DEFINITELY NOT WORTH $1000 or $2000. :rolleyes:

Saw them in '81...they were good, but not spectacular.

Only Hendrix and The Beatles are worth prices like that. Everybody else, $30 max.

• Members

How is this allowed to happen? Isn't this majorly illegal? And who the hell has money/lack of brains enough to pay four figures for a freaking concert ticket?

These days, if I want to see a concert, I buy the DVD. Less expensive, no parking issues, rewind, better audio...

... better audio...

I certainly do not agree with the audio thing. I have bought a lot of DVDs lately, from Pink Floyd's "Pulse" to the last Depeche Mode gig and the audio comes over-compressed. Ugly.

... unless, of course, it is because of the "region 4" thing for latin american DVDs...

And about the prices, {censored}... $1k for a gig? No freaking way.

• Members

This relates to sports tickets, but it's the same sham

According to court filings, the company believes the price complied with the antiscalping law because most of the $420 markup was for acceptable expenses. In court yesterday, Admit One lawyer Joel G. Beckman said his client does not spread its expenses equally across all the tickets it sells, but instead allocates a greater portion to tickets to the most popular events , like Red Sox-Yankees games.

Judge Mark S. Coven reacted with skepticism. He asked whether the law would be rendered meaningless if a ticket reseller could allocate expenses as it saw fit. Coven also asked Beckman if his client might allocate as much 80 percent of its expenses to the most popular games.

"Theoretically, perhaps," Beckman said.

The exchange came as Admit One and Dorchester resident Colman Herman tangled over how much Admit One should disclose about where it gets its tickets and how much it pays for them. Herman, representing himself, is suing Admit One, claiming the company violates the antiscalping law.

The case is providing a rare glimpse into the inner workings of ticket agencies at a time when state lawmakers are saying the antiscalping law is unworkable and should be revamped or scrapped. One pending bill would allow resellers like Admit One to sell tickets for three times face value.

• Members

Craig wrote: "These days, if I want to see a concert, I buy the DVD. Less expensive, no parking issues, rewind, better audio..."

...no teenagers puking on your shoes or slam dancing against you, no frisking by surly security guards, no one groping your girlfriend, no six dollar budweisers after waiting in line for thirty minutes....

I used to feel guilty (and elderly) about favoring concert DVDs over actual live concerts. But if Craig Anderton does it too, then it must be OK. Thanks dude.

• Members

I was very lucky to get tickets for the Police show (in Seattle) the morning they went on sale. "Lucky" in that I "only" paid face value for the seats at $225 each. The same seats are selling for about a grand each now, if I felt like turning them around to make a quick buck.

Is it illegal? Only if it goes against the current laws of scalping, which are generally still based on ticket sales within a certain physical proximity to the venue. We all know that's a totally outdated concept at this point.

But I'll throw this out there, as so many people have in different circumstances: if it was too much money, people wouldn't pay it. So, blame the folks who do write checks for a few grand to see a stupid concert.

• Members

I was very lucky to get tickets for the Police show (in Seattle) the morning they went on sale. "Lucky" in that I "only" paid face value for the seats at $225 each.

Nothing short of the resurrection of the Beatles would be worth $225 a ticket, imo. I had an opportunity to get tix for their Chicago show for considerably less, but the seats were crappy and they were still too much money. I passed.

But I'll throw this out there, as so many people have in different circumstances: if it was too much money, people wouldn't pay it. So, blame the folks who do write checks for a few grand to see a stupid concert.

It just means that the well-off are the ones who get to go. The idea of some kid with his/her paper route money going to see the Police and maybe being inspired by seeing these guys in action isn't going to happen. It's sad, really.

Let's hope the DVD is good.

• Moderators

:mad:

dB

Welcome to free enterprise. :o

If the auditorium fills up with idiots who bought $1000 tickets, then I guess the concert experience was worth $1,000. If it doesn't, then the scalpers will take a bath and eat a lot of the tickets they bought in bulk.

Think of it like airline demand pricing.

In any given plane on the way to anywhere, you have a huge number of different seat prices paid. Some people were willing to risk flying standby, they have the cheapest seats, along with those who were flexible and bought their tickets months in advance, with no refund if cancelled. Other people with too much money and too little time valued convenience over price and just bought tickets the day before.

The airlines have this down to a science. I'm sure if the concert promoters don't already, they soon will.

:wave:

Terry D.

• Members

If fans ever finally wise up (don't hold your breath), many "sold out" concerts will have tiny audiences made up of only the original, face-value ticket buyers. That would wake up more than a few artists to how they are being taken, as well.

Rick

• Members

In any given plane on the way to anywhere, you have a huge number of different seat prices paid. Some people were willing to risk flying standby, they have the cheapest seats, along with those who were flexible and bought their tickets months in advance, with no refund if cancelled. Other people with too much money and too little time valued convenience over price and just bought tickets the day before.

The airlines have this down to a science. I'm sure if the concert promoters don't already, they soon will.

:wave:

Terry D.

Doesn't equate. For one thing, airlines have an unfortunate tendency to go bankrupt and/or out of business. When I was a kid the biggest airlines were Pan Am and Eastern. Taken any flights with them recently?

The reason concert, sports, and theatre tickets go like this is because of the uniqueness and comparative rarity of the event demands a premium, which is being taken by a secondary market of re-sellers. Do you see scalping of movie tickets? No, people wait for the next showing. What are you going to do - wait for the next Police reunion?

I think the first step toward circumventing the re-sellers is the direct marketing pre-selling. I've bought online tickets via TicketMaster, and now I get my e-mail stuffed with their pre-buy offers to pay a little extra in advance to guarantee that I get a ticket when the general sale opens. There are also affiliate programs like radio stations and cultural groups like museum and library patronage clubs doing this.

• Members

what's the evidence that these mega-expensive tickets are mainly being bought by well-off but misguided individuals?

is it not more likely that corporations are buying them for corporate entertaining/(senior) staff incentives?

that way nobody actually pays for them except the customers or shareholders of the corporation. and what they don't know doesn't hurt them.

perfect. :wave:

• Members

What I want to know is how the scalpers (and let's not fool ourselves - that's what they are) are getting pretty much all the tickets within minutes of them going on sale.

I contend that there's no way for them to do it without the cooperation of the organizations originally responsible for selling them. If that is in fact the case, I can't help but wonder how something like that isn't illegal.

dB

• Members

What I want to know is how the scalpers (and let's not fool ourselves - that's what they are) are getting pretty much all the tickets within minutes of them going on sale.

I contend that there's no way for them to do it without the cooperation of the organizations originally responsible for selling them. If that is in fact the case, I can't help but wonder how something like that isn't illegal.

dB

That does smack of smoke-filled room price fixing.

• Members

I just bought two tickets to see Jet,with the surcharges they cost $60 for the two.I went to stub-hub just for the heck of it and they were already charging $124 per ticket.This reinforces the notion..."sho me da money",or "anything's available for a price"......I just hope our youth learn that there is something greater than this crap!!!

• Members

You wanna know? Here's how it works.

The scalping agency hires "street teams"... kids who do what everyone else does (log into Ticketmaster or whatever), but they flood the system. They each buy the maximum number of tickets and get a commission for it. Then the tickets are legally re-sold to the scalping agency, who offers them for 5x the face value.

That's why it's so hard to get through to Ticketmaster when a big event goes on sale. The site is disproportionately busy since people from everywhere can log in and buy tix. Because of the internet, they're easily saleable from everywhere. So, normal folks are lucky to even have the chance to buy tix for face value.

I was just going to give a long winded answer explaining how they get kids to stand in line and buy as many tix as they can, then resell those... but I see Jeff beat me to it.

Even at marked prices, tickets to many shows are just way overpriced these days IMHO. :(

• Members

I was very lucky to get tickets for the Police show (in Seattle) the morning they went on sale. "Lucky" in that I "only" paid face value for the seats at $225 each.

What does your cost per ticket end up as with the airfare/lodging/rental car (your profile says Redondo Beach)?

Aren't The Police playing in southern California?

• Members

Ticketmaster blocks out a certain amount of prime tickets for people buying at the venue. Then these scalper companies (ticket brokers ... bleh) hire people to stand in line and buy up the good seats.

I believe it is on purpose. If the ticketing company/venue charged "the real price", the artist/performer would demand more money up front. By placing a flat fee on a section, the real revenue is going to the ticket brokers. I'm sure somebody is getting kickback.

• Members

What does your cost per ticket end up as with the airfare/lodging/rental car (your profile says Redondo Beach)?

Yes, I live in Redondo (LA area, for those from elsewhere). I am seeing the show in Seattle at Key Arena because my lady love lives there, and we decided to plan our bi-monthly trip around the show. I'm not factoring that into the ticket price... I could have done the same thing for the LA show, and would be going to Seattle regardless of the show.

• Moderators

The reason concert, sports, and theatre tickets go like this is because of the uniqueness and comparative rarity of the event demands a premium, which is being taken by a secondary market of re-sellers. Do you see scalping of movie tickets? No, people wait for the next showing. What are you going to do - wait for the next Police reunion?.

That's spot on, and I think the perfect argument for the high ticket prices. Because the supply is inflexible, and the demand is high, of course the prices float upwards as they would for any market commodity.

Then the next step is what Craig alluded to, the search for a substitute commodity that fills the same need, which is in greater supply - e.g. stay home and watch a DVD.

Terry D.

• Members

Clearly, as others have noted here, the tickets are worth the high prices being paid for them. That's basic free market economics.

I am personally unwilling to spend the amount required to go to any of my favorite acts. This is a relatively new phenomenon, and I sure hope a solution comes. In any case, at least the kids nowadays will not have to worry as much about hearing loss from concerts they'll never attend...

What I don't understand is why the artists and their agents can't simply charge way more for the tickets in the first place.

The fact that middle men can routinely make more on the ticket than the combined total of everyone getting paid by the original ticket at face value is mind blowing.

Archived