im needing an 8ch DI box. what are my other options

• Members

ive been looking at the behringer DI800. now, the price is right, but...ive never been a fan of behringer so much. second thing is there is one feature im not fond of. it dosnt have rear 1/4 inputs, which means i would not be able to route stuff all in back of the rack. i need this for live as im going to be running bass, synth, and a harddisk player all to the pa. (thats gonna take 5 channels)

by the way, im going to be flying with this in as small a rack as possible. gonna be a 4 space shock mount. so 1u rack unit is optimal.

are there any other options out there?

thanks!

• Members

ive been looking at the behringer DI800. now, the price is right, but...ive never been a fan of behringer so much. second thing is there is one feature im not fond of. it dosnt have rear 1/4 inputs, which means i would not be able to route stuff all in back of the rack. i need this for live as im going to be running bass, synth, and a harddisk player all to the pa. (thats gonna take 5 channels)

by the way, im going to be flying with this in as small a rack as possible. gonna be a 4 space shock mount. so 1u rack unit is optimal.

are there any other options out there?

thanks!

I've recently done a fair amount of research on this myself. I went with the DI800 for a couple reasons. Price, of course, but also because it's active it eliminated the need for a second piece of gear for the line level boost I needed in one of my applications. Yes it sucks about running wires through or around the case and I also had to get several XLR(F)-TRS connectors but it seems you can't have it all easy. Coming in a close second for me even though it's passive was the Art T8 which is most reasonably priced here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;jsessionid=GlMJ2Yx6ks!-1011307019!1176849556888?ci=1&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=directPage.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t&shs=art+t8

I can understand your apprehension about Behringer but I can tell you as an electronic technician the insides of their boxes are often very similar to units costing far more. Of the several pieces of Behringer gear I have I really can't complain about their performance except for the mixers but let me explain that as well.....

Inside all the low to mid priced mixers that have become so popular (this includes the companies from which Behringer........uhhhh..... got inspiration for their designs) they've used cheap ribbon cables that are really designed for computer equipment and need to be gently pressed down occaisionally.

• Members

Coming in a close second for me even though it's passive was the Art T8 which is most reasonably priced here:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home;jsessionid=GlMJ2Yx6ks!-1011307019!1176849556888?ci=1&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=directPage.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t&shs=art+t8

i can see a shortcoming of the ART piece in that (if my eyes are correct) it does not have gain attenuation knobs but rather what looks to just be most likely pad switches or similar. i may just get the behringer and hope it doesnt break (itll be shock mounted but still...baggage handlers :freak: ) and if it does break in any way or form, upon arrival otto the soundman will just have to round us up 5 or 6 individual DI boxes. ;)

this unit is primarily for THEIR convenience anyhow. :o

• Members

Stay away from the Behringer junk. While they may look similiar inside, one of the reasons their stuff is so cheap is they buy rejected components from other companies (many they have stolen or come very close to the other's designs), and the quality control of Behringer products is nonexistant.

The Radial is totally worth the money if you have it. Wirlwind makes a 4 channel passive that's decent, obviously you'd need 2. Very reliable, good quality.

• Moderators

As a side note here...

I used my Radial J48 for bass tracking with the intention of later reamping. We plugged in a Music Man Stingray and I have never heard that bass quite like that. None of the "choke" I'm used too. Choke that I didn't really even notice before. But with it gone... beautiful. Then we plugged in his fretless 5 string that's also active. I wasn't looking forward to dealing with this beast... but there it was. Wide, open, and solid. All the things you would not associate with an active, fretless 5 string. Think Graceland.

The Radial makes me weep.

• Members

Stay away from the Behringer junk. While they may look similiar inside, one of the reasons their stuff is so cheap is they buy rejected components from other companies

What components?

That's a fairly serious allegation, do you have a source for that?

Archived