Any NAB news?

Ed A.

• Members

If Soundtrack Pro had all the virtual instruments that Logic Pro has, then I'd rather use that instead of Logic. It's got a better UI and it has all of Logic Pro's effects already. There are some rumors that Apple will revamp Logic to have a simpler UI like Soundtrack Pro or GarageBand. If they used Soundtrack Pro as a starting point, they wouldn't have too far to go.

• Members

I need to spend more time with Soundtrack Pro. I put it on a client's machine and ran out the door.

(but. hey, if Walter Murch likes it...)

FLAC support on the Sound Devices Recorders

http://www.sounddevices.com/news/badger.htm

Sound Devices Previews the Next Release of Software for 7-Series Recorders at NAB 2007

Sound Devices >News

REEDSBURG, Wisconsin

• CMS Author
If Soundtrack Pro had all the virtual instruments that Logic Pro has, then I'd rather use that instead of Logic.

What's the limitation? If it supports MIDI and it supports virtual instruments, and it has as many tracks as you need, it seems that it would support all the virtual instruments you can use. Or by "had all the virtual instruments" do you mean that there are a lot of instrument sounds included with the program?

• CMS Author

The exhibition part of NAB doesn't start until Monday 4/16.

I only know this since I have to get on a plane to go there very early that morning.
:mad:

Will you be hanging out anyplace in particular at the show?

My plane doesn't leave until after noon Monday, but then my first free dinner isn't until Tuesday (unless one of your clients would like to offer to buy me dinner Monday night).

• Members

What's the limitation? If it supports MIDI and it supports virtual instruments, and it has as many tracks as you need, it seems that it would support all the virtual instruments you can use. Or by "had all the virtual instruments" do you mean that there are a lot of instrument sounds included with the program?

Yes, it doesn't have Logic Pro's Sculpture, ES2, Ultrabeat, etc. Sculpture is the synth that I use most often. The only thing remotely like it is Tassman, but I prefer Sculpture for a physical modeling synth.

Also, I don't think Soundtrack Pro is really made for multi-track recording as it is now.

• CMS Author

Yes, it doesn't have Logic Pro's Sculpture, ES2, Ultrabeat, etc. Sculpture is the synth that I use most often. The only thing remotely like it is Tassman, but I prefer Sculpture for a physical modeling synth.

Also, I don't think Soundtrack Pro is really made for multi-track recording as it is now.

I'm speaking from general knowledge but total Mac ignorance, so forgive me if I'm missing something obvious, but aren't they just plug-ins? If you already have Logic, you already have the plug-ins, so can't you just load them in Soundtrack? When I'm running Wavelab, I can use the VST plug-ins that came with Tracktion.

The fact that it's not multitrack could be a definite limitation, but what makes you think it isn't? I've never paid enough attention to it, but I remember that at the NAB show a couple of years ago, TASCAM was pleasantly surprised when they saw one of their mixing control surfaces in use with Soundtrack Pro at the Apple booth.

• Members

The virtual instruments and effect plugins in Logic are part of the program and unfortunately can't be used as plugins in another app. The same is true of the plugins in Soundtrack Pro.

Soundtrack Pro is as the name implies, more for creating music for film or video. It looks like it can do multi-tracking, but it doesn't seem to be the typical DAW design most musicians are used to, which might creatively be a good thing.

• Members

Thow your Mac out the window and buy a PC.

Dead18.gif

Mike, I've always had the utmost respect for you and your posts.

Dude, it's 2007, and you've never used Logic, so you are hardly in a position to evaluate the advantages of a Windows box over a Mac. Just because Logic has some truly killer virtual instruments that are proprietary, you think the hardware is not as good as what, a Dell?

I've got news for you. a Mac Pro runs Windows XP just fine, and it's compatible with as much hardware as Vista is...meaning that they both have some growing pains to deal with.

• CMS Author

Dude, it's 2007, and you've never used Logic, so you are hardly in a position to evaluate the advantages of a Windows box over a Mac. Just because Logic has some truly killer virtual instruments that are proprietary, you think the hardware is not as good as what, a Dell?

Not at all. Didn't you get the "smiley" or did you check your sense of humor at the door? The usual response to a PC user who has a seemingly insurmountable problem is "Get a Mac."

I always believe that you should choose your application first, and then get the appropriate hardware on which to run it. However, it's not so easy to choose intelligently between a Mac-only application and a PC-only application. Most people choose the platform first, then find the best application for their needs that will run on that platform.

So in a sense, because you've tied yourself to certain proprietary virtual instruments, you've locked yourself into Logic, and hence into a Mac. Unless you were to get a PC and started playing around with PC programs, you really don't have the ability to explore the possibilities offered with those programs or as universal plug-ins. I can understand your feelings though. If you're a trombone player and all your music is based around trombones, you probalby don't need to hear from someone who suggests that you should give up the trombone and instead play the saxophone, guitar, and drums.

Personally, I think that the use of a few virtual instruments that will only work with one program is a not in general a good reason to restrict your work to that program. The fact that it you're happy with the way it does a lot of other things means that it isn't really a bad choice for you. And (relevant to the immediate discussion at hand}, Soundtrack Pro might not be a good choice. But without having further information (which you later supplied):

You use certain virtual instruments

Those virtual instruments are available only in Logic and will not run under other Mac programs

The level of your experience

it initially appeared to me that Apple might have locked you into this one program, which is something that goes against the basic premise of computers - that they are programmable and hence are not restricted to specific functions. But If it fills all of your needs, and it seems that this is the case, then I have no problem with you using it.

Geez, lighten up!

• Members

But without having further information (which you later supplied):

• You use certain virtual instruments

• Those virtual instruments are available only in Logic and will not run under other Mac programs

• The level of your experience

Geez, lighten up!

Looks like a clear case of mistaken identity. ;)

I'm (Ed A.) the Logic virtual instrument user. Zeronyne posted the response to your "buy a PC" post.

It wasn't me.

Now, is there any other NAB 2007 news? :)

• Members

THE SHOW... HAS NOT... STARTED YET.

I repeat: the show starts tomorrow. The lack of news is due to the LACK OF SHOW until Monday 4/16.

Mike: I'll be at the Aphex booth most of the day, except when I'm not. They're my only client there, and I'm not looking for new business at the moment, so I'll be around there most of the time. Unless I'm not.

• CMS Author

Looks like a clear case of mistaken identity.
;)
I'm (Ed A.) the Logic virtual instrument user. Zeronyne posted the response to your "buy a PC" post.

Right you are. Maybe I should have just told him he was being an ignorant jerk and left it at that.

No NAB news from me until Tuesday, if at all. The only new product in the audio/recording field that I can recall being announced at NAB was two years ago when TASCAM introduced the X-48. Maybe this year they'll announce that it's shipping.

While there are a good number of audio equipment manufacturers exhibiting there, the focus is on broadcast, so there's a lot of big production consoles and high end workstations, not a lot that us duffers can afford. NAMM is where the new products are released. The audio exhibits at NAB are kind of nice to visit though, because with everyone distracted by all the video and "new media" exhibits, there aren't a lot of crowds around the audio gear as there are at AES and NAMM shows, and it's easier to get some quality time with the technical folks or just socializing.

• Members

It looks like Adobe and Apple have settled on the same strategy.

Sell a software bundle as big as your head.

Soundtrack 2 looks like it might have been inspired by Vegas and Audition. I thought that it was supposed to be the other way around.

[re-reading this - this does look like platform flamebait. But, really, I think pretty highly of Vegas and Audition and I'm sure that somebody at Apple does too. I still don't care for the bundlemania thing. I am far more demanding of my audio apps - why do I need to have professional equivalent parity for video and images?]

• Members

I think Soundtrack has its origins from somewhere other than Apple. They, like most of the other big multi-media competitors, have been acquiring smaller, niche companies with strong developement and IP to integrate into their suite of products.

Sony bought Sonic Foundry, Adobe snatched Macromedia and Syntrillium... It seems that once it was apparent that a unified workflow for all aspects of multi-media production was a desirable goal, the mad dash was on to grab the pieces and wedge them into a pipeline... but I'm not saying anything most everyone around here doesn't already know.

Soundtrack has the potential to be a strong sound deign tool. I hope this new version takes it closer to that promise.

• Members
Not at all. Didn't you get the "smiley" or did you check your sense of humor at the door? The usual response to a PC user who has a seemingly insurmountable problem is "Get a Mac."

I always believe that you should choose your application first, and then get the appropriate hardware on which to run it. However, it's not so easy to choose intelligently between a Mac-only application and a PC-only application. Most people choose the platform first, then find the best application for their needs that will run on that platform.

So in a sense, because you've tied yourself to certain proprietary virtual instruments, you've locked yourself into Logic, and hence into a Mac. Unless you were to get a PC and started playing around with PC programs, you really don't have the ability to explore the possibilities offered with those programs or as universal plug-ins. I can understand your feelings though. If you're a trombone player and all your music is based around trombones, you probalby don't need to hear from someone who suggests that you should give up the trombone and instead play the saxophone, guitar, and drums.

Personally, I think that the use of a few virtual instruments that will only work with one program is a not in general a good reason to restrict your work to that program. The fact that it you're happy with the way it does a lot of other things means that it isn't really a bad choice for you. And (relevant to the immediate discussion at hand}, Soundtrack Pro might not be a good choice. But without having further information (which you later supplied):

Sorry, Mike. I misinterpreted the non-standard smiley. I stand corrected.

• Members

I think Soundtrack has its origins from somewhere other than Apple. They, like most of the other big multi-media competitors, have been acquiring smaller, niche companies with strong developement and IP to integrate into their suite of products.

Sony bought Sonic Foundry, Adobe snatched Macromedia and Syntrillium... It seems that once it was apparent that a unified workflow for all aspects of multi-media production was a desirable goal, the mad dash was on to grab the pieces and wedge them into a pipeline... but I'm not saying anything most everyone around here doesn't already know.

Soundtrack has the potential to be a strong sound deign tool. I hope this new version takes it closer to that promise.

Good observation, around the time when Sony bought Sonic Foundry Apple hired the developers of Acid, the results were Soundtrack Pro, and Apple loops. Later they joined with the Emagic team for Garage Band, and to expand the Apple Loop format to include midi and virtual instrument metadata.

Soundtrack Pro is more of a mixing/compositing/editing tool. Doesn't do multitrack recording or midi(stereo only). Marketed to videographers, for easy soundtrack creation.

The nondestructive editing is interesting, with each edit or effect applied is sort of like a Photoshop layer that you can activate individually.

:cool:

• Members

Soundtrack Pro was a really nifty little audio editor. I bought the early stand-alone version, and was extremely disappointed when they rolled it up into Final Cut Pro - I wanted it for its audio editing capabilities, and I'm certainly not going to pay 4-5 times the price for a video editing suite that I have no use for. Shame...

Archived