Hiring Lifeguards- No Midgets

myshkin

• Members

So... what precisely are you saying?

I'm just stressing we're not going to be hiring any midgets. I'm not trying to insult anyone; I'm just saying to any midgets out there, don't go wasting my {censored}ing time.

• Members

Deeply sorry you didn't find it funny chaps. In pc America just not the done thing, eh Ustad? We must do dinner some time. I find you hilarious and not in any sense up your self-righteous anal self. You can't please all the people all the time though, and if you're gonna piss off someone, it might as well be a self-adoring herd mentality fun guy like yourself. Am I right or am I right?

As for that comic timing, you'll probably agree that it is indeed quite an elusive art when it comes to the written word as opposed to the spoken one. But here's a tip anyway; read very very slowly and that way, your eyes won't be too quick for your brain.

• Members

It's not the PC thing at all. It's just not funny.

I know you're really hung up on that PC thing, but that's far more about you than it is about me.

How you read (or in the case of previous posts, MISread) other people's comments tells us far more about you than it does about us.

• Members

If this is about the jazz/black people ad casting thing... not only is the analogy not particularly funny [unless one is of the intellectual mindset that finds small people inherently humorous] -- it simply doesn't hold.

One could certainly argue that a small person (midget or dwarf) could face special challenges as a lifeguard that might, quite reasonably argue against hiring him for that duty.

OTOH, I dont' think there's anything about being a jazz musician or playing one in an advert that would be inherently outside the abilities of a black person.

In fact, it could certainly be argued that African-Americans, most of them black, were instrumental in the establishment of that musical tradition. While there have been a number of non-black jazz musicians of renown, few other genres are as linked historically and culturally to African American blacks.

It's kind of like saying, "Hi, we're casting a country and western band but -- due to the sensibilities of our target audience we're excluding any white people from auditioning." It might or might not be legal -- but it would sure piss me off.

Maybe if the Japanese audience is so inherently racist/xenophobic -- and I'm not so sure they are -- these assholes in the American advertising outfit doing this casting ought to just cast Japanese people in it and get it over with.

• Members

It's not the PC thing at all. It's just not
funny

I know you're really hung up on that PC thing, but that's far more about you than it is about me.

How you read (or in the case of previous posts, MISread) other people's comments tells us far more about you than it does about us.

As said, Ustad, you can't please all the people all the time. It is of course utterly escaping your notice that you're the one again who has decided to initiate personal sarcasm, the first time because I had the nerve to say that a certain type of "music" was {censored}. So you felt you had perfect freedom to get personal, and wonder of wonders, I responded in kind. I'm not misreading other comments at all. If we stripped away the layers of all this, it comes down to my opinions being in conflict with the hyper-liberalism philosophy of "It's all good"; a kind of variation on the Old Man of the Mountain's famous dictum, "Nothing is true, everything is permitted." Which in the misplaced attempt to exalt all, amounts to all being equally worthless. Which is essentially a herd-mentality, but of course, there is nothing surer than one will always be attacked by a voice or two of the herd. But as Nietzsche says about these attacks from the self-righteous herd, "How could you be just towards me. I choose your injustice as my portion."

• Members

As said, Ustad, you can't please all the people all the time. It is of course utterly escaping your notice that you're the one again who has decided to initiate personal sarcasm, the first time because I had the nerve to say that a certain type of "music" was {censored}. So you felt you had perfect freedom to get personal, and wonder of wonders, I responded in kind. I'm not misreading other comments at all. If we stripped away the layers of all this, it comes down to my opinions being in conflict with the hyper-liberalism philosophy of "It's all good"; a kind of variation on the Old Man of the Mountain's famous dictum, "Nothing is true, everything is permitted." Which in the misplaced attempt to exalt all, amounts to all being equally worthless. Which is essentially a herd-mentality, but of course, there is nothing surer than one will always be attacked by a voice or two of the herd. But as Nietzsche says about these attacks from the self-righteous herd, "How could you be just towards me. I choose your injustice as my portion."

As I said, MISreading (or misinterpreting?) previous posts. I never said that "it's all good"; YOU said that I said that. There's lots of music that I think just utterly blows. If you had read (or perhaps more accurately, understood) my posts, you would get that.

As far as the personal remarks, it was actually you who launched the first assault, misunderstanding what I said, saying "Though if utter crap is someone's thing who am I to argue" and calling me "one of the brain-washed millions" and "anal" and painting everything Jeff and I said as "PC" or "liberal".

As I said, this constant painting of things as "PC" speaks volumes about how you view your polarized world and less about what is actually said, moving the discussion from what the person is actually saying to assumptions about their philosophies and character.

• Members

As I said, MISreading (or misinterpreting?) previous posts. I never said that "it's all good"; YOU said that I said that. There's lots of music that I think just utterly blows. If you had read (or perhaps more accurately,
understood
) my posts, you would get that.

As far as the personal remarks, it was actually you who launched the first assault, misunderstanding what I said, saying "Though if utter crap is someone's thing who am I to argue" and calling me "one of the brain-washed millions" and "anal" and painting everything Jeff and I said as "PC" or "liberal".

As I said, this constant painting of things as "PC" speaks volumes about how you view your polarized world and less about what is actually said, moving the discussion from what the person is actually saying to assumptions about their philosophies and character.

If you return to that other thread, you'lll find you decided to get personal and sarcastic and I responded in kind. Seeing as you agree with the premise that some types of music is crap, then I fail to see why, without provocation, you decided to make the tone nasty and personal, while seemingly imagining I would be content to not respond. And as for moving the discussions to the character of the person rather than what they said...hmm.....what was it you first chose to say in this thread again? Was it a harmless well-meant pleasantry? Or was it a sarcastic jibe? If you feel that when you consider a comment to be not humorous when meant as such, and that you are justified in sarcastic unfriendly comments, then I presume if I scrolled through the forum, I would find a very considerable amount of such comments by yours truly, as of course most "humorous" comments aren't exactly hilarious. If I was sufficiently bored as to put this to the test, what would be the outcome, I wonder?

• Members

I'm trying to figure out what midgets have to do with black jazz musicians, but I just can't make the connection.

Some of the finest black jazz musicians have been scientifically proven to have been midgets.

• Members

I'm trying to figure out what midgets have to do with black jazz musicians, but I just can't make the connection.

I think Myshkin thought he was trying to make some sort of putatively clever analogy.

Unfortunately, he appears to be substantially incapable of such -- based on observed performance, at any rate.

Archived