What's the big deal with Sanjaya?

elsongs

• Members

It's been my opinion (while listening to the various criticisms by the 'judges') that if Barry Manilow, Kenny Rodgers, Diana Ross or some of the others were to compete as unknowns, they'd likely be voted off in the early rounds. Of course these name personalities came up throught the ranks, the longer, harder way.

I think that with some vocal coaching and training, Sanjaya could be a really good pop singer. Of course he'll never get any of my money.

• Members

I think this is the most entertaining season of American Idol just because of Sanjaya. If he gets voted off, there is no reason to watch anymore. Melinda Doolittle is soooo much better than any of the other contestants it wouldn't be any fun watching if he was gone.

Who ever said you had to be the best singer to be the most popular???

• Members

I think this is the most entertaining season of American Idol just because of Sanjaya. If he gets voted off, there is no reason to watch anymore. Melinda Doolittle is soooo much better than any of the other contestants it wouldn't be any fun watching if he was gone.

Who ever said you had to be the best singer to be the most popular???

Exactly. The music industry runs on star quality over talent anyway.:)

Sanjaya's a born entertainer. What he lacks in vocal chops he makes up for in presence. You either have it or you dont and he has it.

I hope he wins. :cool:

• Members

What is strange is he sang pretty well in the qualifying rounds. When the competition reached a point that the public starts to vote he started sounding horrible. The last show was the first time he sounded half way decent on stage with the band.

• Members

Exactly. The music industry runs on star quality over talent anyway.
:)

Sanjaya's a born entertainer. What he lacks in vocal chops he makes up for in presence. You either have it or you dont and he has it.

She certainly agrees:

snipshot_d41c068vkvb0.jpg

• Members

I guess I just feel like American Idol and its imitators (of course, I realize AI is a clone of a Brit show) have about as much to do with talent and music as Rush Limbaugh has to do with insightful political commentary.

Oh, no one's disagreeing with you. It's not American Idol. It's American Image. And AI is still a contest (if not a game show) lest we ever forget that.

Why are people so shocked?

It's been done over 20 years ago...

The crowd's young. :cry:

• Members

Exactly. The music industry runs on star quality over talent anyway.
:)

I hope he wins.
:cool:

Presence? :lol:

• Members

It's been my opinion (while listening to the various criticisms by the 'judges') that if Barry Manilow, Kenny Rodgers, Diana Ross or some of the others were to compete as unknowns, they'd likely be voted off in the early rounds. Of course these name personalities came up throught the ranks, the longer, harder way.

I think that with some vocal coaching and training, Sanjaya could be a really good pop singer. Of course he'll never get any of my money.

Your statement show exactely why today's music is screwed up. What's wrong with the way he sings? Se the problem is todays music is so based on standards created by the "Flask Pisser" that most songs sound better in rehearsal then after actual recording and implementation of so call recording standards.

Most of the criticisms is based on his looks not his voice. Do I think he has the best voice? No! Do I think he's okay, yes. What most people don't understand is that these contestants are singing other peoples music, we have heard these songs over and over and are use to hearing them a certain way, so when other people tries to sing them it sounds different and may appear as though they are not good singers.

Why don't we call Michael Jackson and let him sing a Barry White song and then based your judgment on his performance. I swear you'll say Michael needs vocal coaching. Let people be natural, let them sing the way they hear it and I tell music will be much better.

AI

• Members

It's been my opinion (while listening to the various criticisms by the 'judges') that if Barry Manilow, Kenny Rodgers, Diana Ross or some of the others were to compete as unknowns, they'd likely be voted off.

That's exactly what I'm saying. I personally think American Idol will be a better show if people are allowed to sing their own "new" music.

No something the world has listen to over and over for the past 50 years.

AI

• Members

That's exactly what I'm saying. I personally think American Idol will be a better show if people are allowed to sing their own "new" music.

No something the world has listen to over and over for the past 50 years.

AI

It's a singing competition, not a song competition. Besides, I highly doubt that a majority of the contestants on American Idol would have any "new" music to sing, if given the opportunity. Most of them have probably never written a song in their life. Many probably don't even know how to play an instrument. There's nothing wrong with that, but what I'm saying is that it's a different crowd of people on Idol than the average working musician. They are more concerned with being a "star" than with the music. They have no problem singing empty pop songs if it'll make them famous. Most musicians probably would not be comfortable with the kind of compromises they'd have to make as "Idol" alumni.

That's why Taylor Hicks didn't end up as successful as he could've been, but also why I believe he was the most deserving contestant to win. He was a real working musician who'd already been plugging away for ten years. In a way, winning "Idol" worked out for him though, as he used the exposure he gained from the show to fuel what he'd already been doing. If I decided to do "Idol", that would probably be my reason for it.

• Members

It is proven, that when you show a face for a couple of times on nationwide tv, that you can sell this face on a music CD, and make millions. That is nothing new, but new is that the tv producers also make the music now. Since circa two years, all request to us producing a young artist include in the concept months advance planned tv shows, already booked, this before the music is produced, or the public even know, or heard the name of this new artist.

• Members

Sanjaya would be sooooo much better if he used his voice .... more dynamics, etc... instead of singing every frigging song like Frank Sanatra!

It bugs me! Its frustrating becuse you can tell he has the voice but he doesn;t use it to his full potential and he picks crap songs to sing to top it off. Must just be his taste in music or something.

This season sucks ... I see more talent at the local hole in the wall on kareoke night. Melinda is great but too cliche for me ... nothing special.

For me, my favs are Jordon, The beat box dude and Sanjaya if he starts using his voice to its full potential and picks good tunes.

Can't stand the nasely sounding boy band dude .... forgot his name. And for some reason melinda bothers me.

Archived