The Germs drummer arrested for...soap?

• Members

Has anyone heard about this? Wild story. I actually know Don Bolles, and have played a couple of gigs with him some years back at the PCH Club. I don't know how this soap would test positive for a date-rape drug. It has occasionally tested positive for THC because of the hemp, but a date-rape drug???

Velvet Rope Link

Punk Rocker Caught in Soap Opera (LA Times Article)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

from NORA KEYES (this is on the Velvet Rope web site and numerous other forums/web sites):

Body: This past Wednesday night Don Bolles suffered a bizarre and unfortunate interception with the Newport Police Department. He was stopped for a broken tail light. We believe his unconventional looks and old army green van made him the victim of police profiling in this very affluent, quiet town. They searched his van. The only thing they found was a bottle of Dr Bronner

• Members

Wow.

Newport Beach police have a reputation for not liking outsiders and especially not liking outsiders who don't look like they have a lot of dough (and it is a reputation that in my long experience in and around OC is pretty well earned). But that's just wacky.

Best of luck to Don. I saw him in a million bands and his one-of--a-kind countenance made a real impression three decades ago.

This from the LA Times article is heartening though:

Bolles insisted the soap was only soap. "I've been using Dr. Bronner's for 35 years," he said Tuesday, adding that the organic ingredients help give him the complexion of a 15-year-old girl.

Executives at Dr. Bronner's rushed to Bolles' defense, hiring attorney Bruce Margolin, who specializes in marijuana cases, to represent the musician.

I wish I had the complexion of a 15 year old girl... no, wait. I didn't say that out loud.

;)

Glad to see Dr. B's people are stepping up to help out a loyal customer.

Again, that's just bizarre. I hope he sues the NBPD. It won't be the first time they'll get a judgement against them for walking over people's rights.

[That said, I actually did okay last time I had a run in with them, which was back around '85, the guy treated me pretty decently, all in all. No ticket. No jail. And a chance to show how very well I can recite the alphabet backwards. And, no... I never practiced. That's a bust... you should pardon the expression. But they can tell when a guy flys through it, that he's been in training for just such a perhaps pivotal moment. I always improvised. And I retired undefeated. Then again, I don't think I ever got caught with Dr. Bronner's soap. His corn chips, yes. But, you know, they smell like corn chips. Actually might have saved me once out in Palm Springs.]

• Members

... oh gringos...
:freak:

Meaning...?

BTW, I probably wouldn't have posted this except that I actually have played music with the guy and hung out at KXLU when he guest-DJ'd with one of my friends. We'll find out what's going on with the soap. Hopefully he didn't swap it out for something else.

Meaning...?

.. meaning that your "you are innocent until proven guilty" is a joke. Absurd test, results and pathetic acting from the police based on a test on a bottle of soap.

What... with it he could poison thousands of "innocent tennagers" and conduct them to the horrible hell of drugs... or even worse, could he destroy the White House while using it as a terrorist weapon?

Those officers must be frustrated musicians and found someone to pay for it.

• Members

Has anyone heard about this? Wild story. I actually know Don Bolles, and have played a couple of gigs with him some years back at the PCH Club. I don't know how this soap would test positive for a date-rape drug. It has occasionally tested positive for THC because of the hemp, but a date-rape drug???

And the "collateral damage" of the War on Drugs continues to mount. Up to 20 years for a bar of {censored}ing soap. Yeah, rest easy world, we're going to bring our special brand of FREEDOM to a theatre (of war) near you!

• Members

I didn't know that you can get psychoactive with soap. I hope the manufacturer of the cleansing agent doesn't get in trouble, and has to close the company. I hope he has an U.S. 'Marihuana' production permit."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Producer_of_marihuana.jpg

In the U.S.A., hemp cultivation is legally prohibited, but during World War II farmers were encouraged to grow hemp for cordage, to replace manila hemp previously obtained from Japanese-controlled areas. The U.S. government produced a film explaining the uses of hemp called "Hemp for Victory"

• Members

It's a complete joke unless Mr. Bolles swapped it out for something else. If you've ever seen the Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap bottle, you know that it looks odd. It's stuffed full of Dr. Bronner's writing and rants and looks slightly odd. But still, have they never seen this before? What would make them even single out the soap for field testing? At any rate, I'm surprised at a couple of things right now: 1.) the reason for the arrest, and 2.) that Bolles apparently showers and bathes now :D Hopefully he didn't do anything wrong and will go free.

And yes, there is a film coming out about the Germs, and I believe Don Bolles and the other surviving Germs were in it. Furthermore, if memory serves, the guy who plays Darby Crash in the movie apparently sings in The Germs now (for those who don't know, singer Darby Crash died years ago).

• Members

.. meaning that your
"you are innocent until proven guilty"
is a joke. Absurd test, results and pathetic acting from the police based on a test on a bottle of soap.

Yeah the sooner you learn that the better. Anytime you see those cheeries in your rearview mirror you just lost. At best you'll be coughing up cash, at worst you'll cough up cash and spend time in the slammer.

• Members

(Sorry, can't help myself from gettin a wee bit political. But I have to say this) When the police run roadside tests on a bottle of soap found in a car stopped for a broken tail light, the the drug war has gotten totally out of control. Its time to end this war also.

• Members

On what grounds did the police base the car search on? I mean.... :confused: really..... do they just automatically go in and search a vehicle for a broken tail light without a justified cause? A positive reading on a breathalizer, driving on expired tags, invalid insurance, or SOMETHING to validify their reasons for going further than just issuing a ticket for a broken tail light???????? :freak:

I'm glad that the vendor is stepping in to assist....

• Members

More info:

LA City Beat article

It was just another average day in the flamboyantly messy life of Don Bolles, once the drummer for the legendarily messy, flamboyant Los Angeles punk band, the Germs. On April 4, Bolles had picked up his girlfriend, the 21-year-old drummer for a band called Civet who goes by the name Cat Scandal, from a Newport Beach rehab, where she had, as he put it,

• Members

Thankfully, he's cleared of this ludicrous charge.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

article

More tests show punk rocker's soap is clean of 'date rape' drug

The Associated Press

Article Launched: 04/17/2007 05:12:25 AM PDT

NEWPORT BEACH, Calif.- A punk rocker arrested on suspicion of possessing a "date rape drug" will be cleared of all charges after additional testing of his suspect bottle of liquid peppermint soap came up clean.

Germs drummer Don Bolles was arrested after Newport Police said they found gamma-hydroxybutyrate, or GHB, inside a bottle of Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap taken from Bolles' vehicle.

The drug is often called a "date-rape drug" because it leaves people groggy and powerless.

Bolles, whose real name is Jimmy Michael Giorsetti, had been pulled over by police for a broken taillight April 4. Police found the bottle of the soap in a toiletry kit and conducted a field test.

On Monday, officials said more sophisticated testing at the Orange County Sheriff's Department crime lab detected no GHB in the soap. All charges against Bolles will be dismissed, a spokeswoman for the Orange County district attorney's office said.

The Germs, a punk band formed in Los Angeles in the 1970s, are credited with influencing generations of musicians and popularizing mohawks. Bolles took his stage name from an Arizona Republic journalist who was killed in 1976 by a car bomb while investigating corruption.

Bolles did not return calls from the Los Angeles Times seeking comment Monday.

• Members

I'd like to think he'll be able to sue but I wonder...

And I don't think -- even if he prevails -- it will change the Newport Beach PD's super-aggressive "xenophobia."

They've been doing it -- and getting sued for it -- since I was a kid in the 60's. (First time I ever got cuffed or ended up in the back of a police car was not far from my summer job. I got a ticket -- for taking a sip of wine from a jug that was passed to me -- and released after a fairly long spell. As the judge said, there was a sign "as big as you are" warning against just such an illegal activity. So there they had me fair and square.)

Archived