Monitors: please advise

DVaz

• Members

Hi folks,

I'm going to be getting some monitors pretty soon to complete my home studio (currently using some old B&W DM10s as monitors and sennheiser HD25s my most trusted represtentation: E-Mu 1616M is the DAS).

I have a significant problem in that I'm out in the sticks and cant really get to hear anything in person. I only have advise, specs and reputation to go on.

My budget is ideally about

• Members

Adams or Dynaudio BM5A's - not much else that I know is kick a$$ in your price range. Keep in mind that Mackies are old news and the Events (while ok) are not in the same league as the A7's or BM5A's. Since we US peeps cannot easily demo Questeds, I cannot say if they are a good buy.

• Members

I got the A7s a few months ago and I'm really happy with them. Some complain about a midrange bump, but I think the issue is that they don't have the midrange scoop that many monitors seem to have. My mixes are translating very well with these monitors.

Regards,

John

• Members

I A/B'd the monitors you mentioned, with the exception of the Questeds which I haven't heard. I bought the A7's and haven't regretted it for a minute. The Dyn's were also excellent, and the Yamaha HS80's were good for the price.

• Members

I just bought a pair of JBL LSR4326P nearfield monitors. they really sound good and seem well-balanced frequency-wise to my ears.

About $1000 US. What is that, around 850 pounds sterling?

Not to mention the kewl microphone-based auto-calibration they can do to suit your recording space.

• CMS Author

Quested S6 or maybe S7

Mackie HR824

Event SP6

Event TR8 or TR8XL

Adam A7

Have you listened to any of these? If so, what do YOU think? Probably the most important thing about choosing a monitor beyond that it doesn't just totally suck is how long you can listen to it without getting tired. You have to spend some time with them.

By the way, (my short NAB show report) Mackie has reworked the HR824 and 624 monitors. Over the many years that the 824 has been in production, its sound has changed somewhat. When they did the update, they went back to their "gold standard" HR824 with original components and used that as the baseline for the sound of the new version, the one on which the Mackie monitors built their reputation as an excellent product.. They didn't make the new one sound exactly the same as the original, but rather that basic sound with some tweaks to make it more "contemporary" sounding, whatever that means.

Being a Mackie product, I wouldn't hold my breath for a release date, but it's worth keeping in mind that depending on the vintage, there are some evolved differences in the sound of the monitors.

• Members

Mike, I cant practically listen to them. I live in the sticks.

Well folks, I got the A7s. Still honeymoon period, obviously, but so far they're very, very good. I cant be too analytical about them, though: I havent had them long enough.

Oh, they're merciless. A lot of music is sounding crap on them! And some they're bringing to life. But thats what I wanted: honest monitors. They're showing me whats there, not dressing it up. Thats very obvious about them.

Some other things that struck me:

Superb clarity, great soundstage, remarkable volume and bass for such little things. I really havent found a flaw yet. I thought the highs might be too much at first, but they seem to be breaking in really well. Listening now...not a single complaint.

Thanks for the input guys!

Edit: oh, yeah, some of my mixes I did on my sennheiser HD25s that I wrote off because they sounded rubbish on my B&Ws (old DM10s) are sounding pretty good on them! Maybe I was doing something right!?! Very encouraging. I see some good work being done on these!

• Members

Rasputin, you should try your LSRs with subwoofer, this set makes life much more easier. Do you have any treatment at your room? Bass traps would be very helpful, too.

My friend is using Adam S3 and is very happy with them, too. I'm thinking about getting A7 later this year, sweet dreams :)

Archived