Anyone else having problems with viewing Flash videos?

Ani

• Members

Since my last upgrade to FlashPlayer, I have had about as much downtime with the player as I have uptime. I've redownloaded and reinstalled the player a couple of times hoping to correct the bugs, but to no avail.

Videos will only play intermittantly. This morning all is working fine, but yesterday everytime I tried to access anything that had videos, I got the x boxes instead of the videos. I got prompts to download the latest player and etc. Having done nothing yesterday, my Flash sites are working fine again today. I've noticed this a LOT recently since the first installation of the latest upgrade. Anyone else having problems with their Flash media player?

• Members

Do you by any chance use both IE and Firefox? One thing that I've noticed is that I have to update Flash for both of them.

Also, in IE I tend to have all kinds of intermittent problems with all kinds of video...

I've defended IE for a long time -- even as I switched to the slower loading and rendering Firefox for convenience and safety reasons -- but I have to say that, for me, IE 7 is all but unusable.

I was just at the CNN site and its jumble of media players and media types makes using ANY browser a crapshoot. Their WMP-oriented player keeps telling me I need to update to WMP 9 (I'm on version 10!) when I'm in Firefox. When I try to view the same player/video in IE, about half the time I get NO AUDIO whatsoever. Other times I do.

I imagine this is, to some extent, the fault of the bozos at CNN, which has a pretty crappy website, considering the 800 lb gorilla status of that "news" organization (it's a disgraceful shadow of its once great self, I would say, looking back over the last several decades). I certainly don't have nearly that level of problems at other sites. In fact, I've generally given up on CNN -- and their coverage of the Virginia Tech shootings pretty well seals the deal. I almost expected them to bring on that loser-gasbag Larry King to interview students... I'm sure that sorry sight will happen in time.

Anyhow... it's just gonna get MORE interesting since MS is bringing out yet ANOTHER streaming video/vector image format to compete directly with the near-universally accepted Flash. (They've trotted it out at the NAB show.)

I think we can probably expect MORE incompetence and confusion all around in the wake of that...

• Members

I did upgrade the IE at the same time I upgraded the FlashPlayer. My kids run some type of MySpace software that is invasive as hell. I haven't pulled out my disks yet to restore my Outlook, but whenever I click on a link inside an email, it pops up a MYSPACE signin box that prompts you to configure it....

The kids are not allowed to touch my newer computer, but I don't have that one connected to the Internet.... doubtful that I will either because it's designated for music and photography.

• Members

Ani, all of the poor suckers who rely on me for computer expertise have been experiencing problems with Flash lately. Adobe is in complete denial, though if you search their knowledge base, you will find the Flash uninstaller, active-X controller remover. if you run that, you should get a nice clean Flash install afterwards. I have to do after everytime I run Ace Utitlities registry cleaner. My son has to do it every few days. We both keep the Flash uninstaller on our desktops...

If you can't find the uninstaller of which I speak (and it is rather buried on the adobe site, 'cause they're in denial...), PM and I'll email it you

• Members

I have a new pc, so I've had to download new plugins. I had a problem with the flashplayer, but I've been using Netscape 7.2, and there turned out to be a known problem with N/S 7.2 and Flash 9.0.28. A new release came out a day later (9.0.45) which worked with N/S, but in the mean time, I had downloaded a copy of version 8 which worked. I didn't have any problem with IE. The problem with N/S was that almost every page would crash with 9.0.28 installed.

If any of this is pertinent to your situation, check out my forum discussion on the topic here: http://sillydog.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=84215#84215

Archived