most famous 6 seconds of music EVER!

alphajerk

• Members

The 'Amen beat' - nice. I'm not sure that every example given was actually lifted off that same 1969 record. As a anti copyright, anti Zero-G argument, i'm not sure it's the best example. All the James Brown samples are more well known and exploited. The basic 'rock beat' is probably far more important and ubiquitous.

There are only 12 notes - I wonder when some bastard lawyers are going to trademark each one and start claiming royalties from every artist who ever used middle "C" ... Certain companies 'own' certain colors, so it's not so laughable. Try using purple to sell chocolate, and Cadbury will sue your ass ... it's just a matter of time. Total anarchy seems like a good solution to the problem ...

• Members

the amen beat is in [seemingly] EVERYTHING... i have heard it a million times +1 in songs. never really put it all together since i saw this. apparently its more lifted than james brown and the meters combined.

its not really an anti-copyright arguement, well maybe in the video it is portrayed that way, but i was more amazed how frequently it has been used rather than any copyright infringements.

• Members

Yes, very interesting. This fellow has done his homework. I know the Winstons' record "Color Him Father".... it can be found on the excellent Rhino compendium of 70's R&B called DIDN'T IT BLOW YOUR MIND? Very sentimental song!

I must confess: I hadn't noticed this particular break in TV commercials, but I don't doubt that they've used it....

Our narrator doesn't specify, however, the ethnic/rhythmic derivation of this drum groove, though: It's an Afro-Cuban "boogaloo" beat, derived from Spanish >. very prevalent in the hits of the late-60's, early-70's. other excellent examplars of this particular groove are:

"(Let Me Stand Next To Your) Fire" by Jimi Hendrix

"The Game Of Love" by Wayne Fontana & The Mindbenders

"Tighter, Tighter" by Alive 'N' Kicking (Tommy James)

• Members

The main use of the Amen break is in drum'n'bass music. This is a genre of music, normally 135-200 BPM, with the Amen break sliced up, resequenced and played at double time with 808 mulitpitched kiks underneath. There are different subgenres within drum'n'bass.

• Members

That was my main complaint when I saw this. Other than showing a couple of pictures, all you see is footage of a record playing on a turntable. The guy who produced this could've really put together a slick production, with a real host, rather than narrator, and maybe even an interview or two. As it is now, it may as well just be part of a radio show.

• Members

That was my main complaint when I saw this. Other than showing a couple of pictures, all you see is footage of a record playing on a turntable. The guy who produced this could've really put together a slick production, with a real host, rather than narrator, and maybe even an interview or two. As it is now, it may as well just be part of a radio show.

the video is documentation of an exhibit.

Can I Get An Amen?, 2004

recording on acetate, turntable, PA system, paper documents

dimensions variable

total run time 17 minutes, 46 seconds

http://nkhstudio.com/pages/popup_amen.html

• Members

What's the big deal? It's only a simple fatback beat that any drummer can play with little or no difficulty....

the fact that is has been sampled so many times and was the base set of hits for an entire genre....

ah {censored}, they say it way better than i do:

Can I Get An Amen? is an audio installation that unfolds a critical perspective of perhaps the most sampled drum beat in the history of recorded music, the Amen Break. It begins with the pop track Amen Brother by 60's soul band The Winstons, and traces the transformation of their drum solo from its original context as part of a 'B' side vinyl single into its use as a key aural ingredient in contemporary cultural expression. The work attempts to bring into scrutiny the techno-utopian notion that 'information wants to be free'- it questions its effectiveness as a democratizing agent. This as well as other issues are foregrounded through a history of the Amen Break and its peculiar relationship to current copyright law.

• Members

Our narrator doesn't specify, however, the ethnic/rhythmic derivation of this drum groove, though: It's an Afro-Cuban "boogaloo" beat, derived from Spanish >. very prevalent in the hits of the late-60's, early-70's. other excellent examplars of this particular groove are:

Let's not forget "Tighten Up" by Archie Bell & the Drells...

Archived