Hissy Noisy Cassette cleaning on PC

dahkter

• Members

Hi Guys and Gals,

I'm in the processing of mixing down a batch of files that were transferred from 8track Tascam Portastudio to .wav

They are hissy (normal cassette hiss) and noisy (some sort of computerish noise from an effects unit).

I have an old SF Noise Reduction plug in, works well at getting out the hiss, but it also destroys all of the sheen and sparkle in the high frequencies.

My DAW is Tracktion, it comes with a nice multiband compressor (final mix), possibly I can use this to selectively compress and eq the hats/vocals back out?

At work right now, so if anyone has thoughts or suggestions, it would be appreciated.

Best regards,

dahk

• Moderators

Use the Waves 30 day fully functioning demo of the Restoration plugins. The DeNoise plug is fantastic. It's a big part of my day gig cleaning up phone recordings, etc. It's a miracle. The key is to sample the right noise. Any glitches or non-steady state sound in your sample will then dig in too deep to your program material. Go easy on the reduction amount, play with the shelving control and... magic.

• Members

Hey Dahk,

I sent you an add request on Myspace. :wave:

I picked up Magix Audio Cleaning Lab for cheap-o clearance price at Best Buy or somewhere, but I haven't tried it for this application. I have used it for some other things and it is a pretty slick little program for $20 bucks or whatever I picked it up for-it was worth it for the plugs. Don't you love answers like these? An answer that isn't an answer. Would that be a question?

• Members

Use the Waves 30 day fully functioning demo of the Restoration plugins. The DeNoise plug is fantastic. It's a big part of my day gig cleaning up phone recordings, etc. It's a miracle. The key is to sample the right noise. Any glitches or non-steady state sound in your sample will then dig in too deep to your program material. Go easy on the reduction amount, play with the shelving control and... magic.

I use Bias SoundSoap in the same way (except I own it, not using a demo ;) )

"Learn Noise" and then tune the reduction amount. SoundSoap also has settings for "pop & click", rumble, 60hz hum, etc.

• Members

But the full functioning demo for a one time project? Do it. They're great plugins.

I did that with VocAlign. It's not a tool I need for most of my work, and too expensive for a one-time.

And I would never accuse you of cracking :wave:

• Members

Cool

Thanks extended SSS family,

A friend of mine also recommended the waves demo, I'm getting the hissy noisy wavs on Thursday and will give it whirl.

Best regards, and Stranger, what up brotha, I just added you over there, my first SSS friend on Myspace!

Best regards,

Dahkter

Archived