Can't open a 1,2 GB .wav-file on XP

• Members

What kind of program are you trying to use to open it?

Cubase.

Then I tried the Media Player.

It's 16 tracks that size, three on one DVD.

One DVDshows the tracks, doesn't open it though.

One DVD doesn't even show the tracks.

:cry:

• Members

What program created the .WAV file?

Is it a 24-bit linear PCM .WAV file?

FYI - Windows Media Player cannot play 24-bit .WAV files unless you have a special codec - or unless you are using Vista.

I don't know.

The guy has a Mac5 with Logic on it.

Cubase says the file is {censored}ed or it's a not supported format.

Thanks. :)

• Members

There are a couple of possibilities. I don't know if Cubase is one (I doubt it), but some programs try to buffer the entire file into RAM first.

Did you copy the entire file to your hard drive first? If not, try that. Optical storage doesn't buffer the same as hard drives do.

if it's 24 bit stereo, that works out to about 1 hr 15 minutes of audio.

for a quick test, try creating and saving a wav of that length. Silence would be good enough - - it has the same number of bytes. If your program will load that, the problem is that the file you want to open is corrupted.

• Moderators

Macs and PCs handle ISO 9660 multisegment files differently. There is a 2GB limit on single segment files for the PC, that shouldn't be a problem on the PC end, but if it was written multi segment on a Mac you would have problems reading it on a PC.

First, leave the application software completely out of it. Try to copy it to your hard drive from the DVD. If it won't copy just by dragging and dropping, the file format got screwed up coming from the Mac to the PC, most likely. Have your friend rewrite a DVD with a non multi-segment (level 2?) 9660 format.

Terry D.

• Members

There are a couple of possibilities. I don't know if Cubase is one (I doubt it), but some programs try to buffer the entire file into RAM first.

Did you copy the entire file to your hard drive first? If not, try that. Optical storage doesn't buffer the same as hard drives do.

if it's 24 bit stereo, that works out to about 1 hr 15 minutes of audio.

for a quick test, try creating and saving a wav of that length. Silence would be good enough - - it has the same number of bytes. If your program will load that, the problem is that the file you want to open is corrupted.

I tried cpying to the hard drive first, yes.

It's 2 1/2 hours mono, I did the same thing before, loading a whole show on 16 mono tracks into Cubase, worked nice.

• Members

Macs and PCs handle ISO 9660 multisegment files differently. There is a 2GB limit on single segment files for the PC, that shouldn't be a problem on the PC end, but if it was written multi segment on a Mac you would have problems reading it on a PC.

First, leave the application software completely out of it. Try to copy it to your hard drive from the DVD. If it won't copy just by dragging and dropping, the file format got screwed up coming from the Mac to the PC, most likely. Have your friend rewrite a DVD with a non multi-segment (level 2?) 9660 format.

Terry D.

:confused:

OK, thanks, I hope the Mac guy understands that. :o

There's three files on each DVD, one does show the files, but doesn't let me open them, one doesn't even start running. :confused: :confused:

The Mac guy said on the phone that each DVD and the files on them opened and worked on his PC.

:cry:

Thanks, MrKnobs :wave::love:

• Members

Um, yeah, a 3 year old post reporting an anomoly that no one confirmed on an earlier OS (Panther) and ealier version of Logic Pro (6). Yeah, that's a safe bet
:freak:

ISO issue is far more likely

I beg to differ.

I bet there is a bug in Logic (or perhaps in Digi

• Members

Did the OP say anything about TDM? And if there were bug in TDM that wasn't visible in Logic, how is that a Logic bug?

Google pulled up a 3 year old post regarding TDM on a previous generation of of OSX and a previous generation of Logic. Gee, maybe the real problem is microsoft's limit of 640K memory! Want me to google it? I'm pretty sure that was a problem! Is it relevant?

But did you read the post that said the logic guy had already been able to open the files from the DVD on a PC?

But I'm sure you're right. Logic does have bugs - they may not be relevant to this issue, but that doesn't matter. Windows certainly doesn't have bugs, and it's well documented that Cubase has never had a bug in its entire history. And I'm sure it couldn't be the way the DVD was burned, since we all know that there has never been incompatibliities on standards in the history of mankind. It's the fine print people usually skip over in Genesis that says, "One the first day God said, 'Let there be light ( and let it write to optical discs per ISO standards)'".

Archived