External hard drive won't read

LiveMusic

• Members

Anyone have any idea whatsoever? I have a Simpletech 160gb external hard drive. My laptop only has usb1 (the drive supports it and usb2.) The external drive has worked before to where I could read it. Now, when I plug in the cable and try to read it to get a file, the hour glass keeps showing like it is reading. And I let it go for several minutes. Surely it's not trying to read every file on there, is it? Like, maybe 5gb to 10gb on there.

• Members

I had a western digital 160Gb external USB drive that went bad. It was out of warranty (one year....from the date of manufacture?!). They offer condolences and recommend some outrageously priced labs that can recover your data.

I let it sit for a while, then one day when I had some time I cracked it open to discover (as I suspected) it's just a standard IDE drive attached to a USB interface. I put the drive into one of my computers and was happy to discover the drive worked fine.

• Members

Simple troubleshooting: Try it on another computer.

If it doesn't work, it's busted. If it works on another computer then it's your computer's fault.

(see, it's simple logic to find computer faults, not magic....)

P.S. All drives die. It's not a matter of IF but WHEN... they're just iron-oxide rust on an aluminum plate spinning at 300mph.

Archived