Brad Delp - Suicide

ggm1960

• Members

Accomplishments don't usually have much to do with it, for manic depressives -- or whatever you want to call moody artists (and non-artists, of course).

Those with mood disorders tend to have multiple inner chemical cycles that spin out of balance and occasionally those cycles just all line up in such a way to make the compulsion to "end it all" seem like a soothing siren song.

So many creative people are subject to mood disorders that we've come to think of it almost as part of the creative profile.

Everytime I listen to a slug of Elliot Smith I find myself thinking... well, at least he recorded like a mother------ before he plunged that knife into his heart...

At least Delp tried to be responsible and prevent people from being harmed physically or coming on the body unexpectedly.

As a moody guy, I give him 10 points for trying to go out relatively gracefully instead of leaving a big, psychodrama mess for loved ones to find...

• Members

I agree it's difficult to comprehend why someone with so much would do something like this.

My kid's pediatrician's wife recently did the same thing. I saw her picture in the paper, she was a beautiful woman close to my age, sounds like she had meaningful work, two children, and a doctor for a husband who has always seemed to me like a super nice guy.

I have to ask, what more could anyone want???? And yet, this poor girl has tried several times to do this and finally succeeded. I can't imagine what the family is going through.

I've suffered with depression over my life, at times so debilitating that I could do very little outside of staying in my bed, but I have never been to a point where the idea of ending my life has had any appeal to it. It's a difficult thing to understand. But I guess for some people it's very real.

Archived