Hi Craig, Holy cow I just read your EQ editorial

• Members

Hi Craig, Holy cow I just read your EQ editorial...

You must be pissed off at that moving company!! That was awesome... clearly they did your wrong personally? Or a close friend?

I mean... hah... it didnt have anything to do with music or recording and you printed it... respect for that.

• Members

I've used a moving company once, and thought it was fine but really expensive. The stuff that I really cared about, I packed myself. That'll never change.

I haven't read this editorial yet.

+1 Exactly my experience!

I'll have to get the EQ issue and see what happened.

• Members

I mean... hah... it didnt have anything to do with music or recording and you printed it... respect for that.

Actually, the whole point of it was exactly about music and recording! Your life is in your studio, and you better be damn careful if you ever have to move it.

The problems I referenced are, believe me, the tip of the iceberg. A little time spent googling will reveal the extent to which consumers have been ripped off, time and time again, and there is absolutely no recourse under the law due to the Carmack Amendment I referenced regarding interstate moving. My favorite involves a lady in San Francisco who ended up paying something like $34,000 to get her possessions moved and they were never moved, they stayed in storage. Then she couldn't get the stuff out without paying what was essentially ransom. She sued, and lost, despite the fact that her claims were never disputed and she had documentation for everything. She appealed, and lost on appeal as well.

Sure, the issues relate to more than just moving a studio. But if your couch gets trashed, you can get a new one. If all your data is trashed, you're not in as fortunate as position.

The attitudes expressed in this thread are correct: If you ever need to move your studio, do it yourself (preferably with one or two trusted friends).

• Members

Sure, the issues relate to more than just moving a studio. But if your couch gets trashed, you can get a new one. If all your data is trashed, you're not in as fortunate as position.

For some time, I've been thinking I should have off-site backups of all my important data. This thread is now making me feel stupid for not having it.

For those of you that back up off-site, how do you do it? What I thought of is having a saftey deposit box and put a couple hard drives in it about once a month or so. That's a hassle, but what other good options are there? Internet backup sites are generally quite expensive unless you don't have that much data to store.

• Members

I moved 3 times in the last 9 years and it was not fun. Every time, my studio had to be taken down and put back up. Not only did I do it myself, I wouldn`t even let trusted family members and friends carry my computers or gear.

My piano & armoir were scratched with two different companies. It bothered me but nowhere near someone losing my data or screwing with my gear!

Anyway, its just a good idea to make musicians and studio owners aware of this $h!t.

• Members

For some time, I've been thinking I should have off-site backups of all my important data. This thread is now making me feel stupid for not having it.

For those of you that back up off-site, how do you do it? What I thought of is having a saftey deposit box and put a couple hard drives in it about once a month or so. That's a hassle, but what other good options are there? Internet backup sites are generally quite expensive unless you don't have that much data to store.

You can get fireproof file boxes at most office supply stores, or also at a locksmith or hardware shop. Get a couple and keep one at home, and one at your brother/sister/father's house.

Or just throw it all away and start over when you move! :lol:

• Members

For those of you that back up off-site, how do you do it? What I thought of is having a saftey deposit box and put a couple hard drives in it about once a month or so. That's a hassle, but what other good options are there?

That's what I've been doing. The other thing is that I send backups of project data to clients, so unless they lose or mangle it, at least the data exists somewhere else.

• Members

Damn! Just looking at a few of those stories made me glad I moved myself! When I got my current job & moved our family from Atlanta to Roanoke, I rented large Penske trucks on 2 separate occasions, once hiring a friend to drive, second time I drove myself. (I've driven 20' trucks many times, loaded with PA equipment.)

It was a TON of work, but our move (4 BR house!) cost me about $6-7k, and my stuff was at my house when I was (and both of us relatively intact ;) ).

• Members

You can get fireproof file boxes at most office supply stores, or also at a locksmith or hardware shop. Get a couple and keep one at home, and one at your brother/sister/father's house.

Or just throw it all away and start over when you move!
:lol:

Billster and others,

If you want to store items such as DVD-Rs, CD-Rs, external HDs, etc. in a fireproof safe, a fireproof file box will not adequately protect them. You need a media fireproof box. A regular fireproof file box that you get at Target, Office Depot, Home Depot, etc. are typically for papers, which do not require nearly as much fireproofing as media.

• Members

Billster and others,

If you want to store items such as DVD-Rs, CD-Rs, external HDs, etc. in a fireproof safe, a fireproof file box will not adequately protect them. You need a media fireproof box. A regular fireproof file box that you get at Target, Office Depot, Home Depot, etc. are typically for papers, which do not require nearly as much fireproofing as media.

You speak from experience, I know. :cool:

Paper needs enough protection to not spontaneously combust (without spark that is - just from the temperature), but plastic will deform before that happens. A locksmith is your best bet for a quality home safe. It will cost a little more however.

• Members

I moved 3 times in the last 9 years and it was not fun.

Hmmm...by the end of this month I will have moved at least 5 times in 3 years. In the last 9 years, more like 8 or 9 times; three of those moves were greater than 1,000 miles, another two were one end of the country to the other.

The list of problems I have had with movers is so long I don't even want to think about it - and don't get me started on U-haul. (Though to be fair, the last time I used them they were wonderful.) I've managed to get marginal satisfaction for most problems, but not without a ton of stress and a lot of effort.

The best solution I have found is to pack sensitive stuff yourself (and move it yourself if possible). I've also had better luck renting trucks and hiring local labor (college kids are great) rather than use the big moving companies.

But even that's not a great solution....

• Members

A friend of mine moved from Brooklyn to a house in upstate NY. Her husband had to work unexpectedly the weekend of the move. When the movers were finished they wouldn't leave the house stating she owed more than what the printed billed said for "unexpected extras". She called me... I called 911. They left. Never got a penny more than the original bill stated.

Man I just thought to myself... Im glad Im not moving right now. Its like the worst 2 days of your life! Id rather have the flu!

• Members

I can`t even imagine.

btw- Mitch I`m glad you`re here so I can say thanks to you. I have learned so much from your writing over the years. Thanks.

EB

You're kind to say so, thank you very much!

• Members

and don't get me started on U-haul. (Though to be fair, the last time I used them they were wonderful.).

Forget U-Haul, they suck. Their trucks are almost always beat to {censored} (I can't even count how many burned U-Haul trucks I've seen on the side of the freeway!), and they stick you on the per-mile charges - you will NEVER get a truck for $24/day in reality.

Penske guarantees that their trucks are never more than 3 years old, and they send their best ones for long-distance rentals. I've used them several times, both for moving & for business rentals, and they have never let me down ONCE.

• Members

Mitch I`m glad you`re here so I can say thanks to you. I have learned so much from your writing over the years. Thanks.

EB

Yeah, it's always a treat when Mitch goes slumming and stops by :) It's a good thing he doesn't have his own forum, or I'd be spending way too much time there!

• Members

Hmmm...by the end of this month I will have moved at least 5 times in 3 years. In the last 9 years, more like 8 or 9 times; three of those moves were greater than 1,000 miles, another two were one end of the country to the other.

The list of problems I have had with movers is so long I don't even want to think about it - and don't get me started on U-haul. (Though to be fair, the last time I used them they were wonderful.) I've managed to get marginal satisfaction for most problems, but not without a ton of stress and a lot of effort.

The best solution I have found is to pack sensitive stuff yourself (and move it yourself if possible). I've also had better luck renting trucks and hiring local labor (college kids are great) rather than use the big moving companies.

But even that's not a great solution....

Mitch is the only guy who showed when I moved from my 1st to my 2nd house. Someone who shows up to help you move has character...:) Due to the geographic severity of his moves, I have been unable to re-pay the favor, but the offer stands IF he goes somewhere from Ft. Wayne (which I am sure SS will be hoping NEVER happens...) as I am now close enough to drive down.

Almost everyone I have known who has hired movers has lost something of value in the move, and by lost, I mean 'taken'. My father in law (ex rather) lost a Civil War sword that belonged to a relative of his that was used in the war and some other things. they basically had no recourse that would be monetarily in their favor.

Archived