HELP with KORG 01/W midi files on disks?

Jotown

• Members

I have a bunch of song files that were done on a KORG 01/W that a guy in my band used to have. He didn't back up any of this stuff to any other format and he no longer lives around me anyway so all I have are the disks.

I would like to archive these MIDI files but the disks are not readable on a PC.

Does anyone know how I can convert these files into a general midi or MIDI 0 file that I could load into a PC DAW?

I understand that the files cannot be opened up on another KORG workstation and saved to MIDI 0 format.

I am trying to find someone in the metro-Detroit area who owns a O1/w and has the upgrade that allows you to save the project files to midi files that can be read on a PC. I would gladly pay someone to do this.

Any info would be more than helpful.

Thanks in advance.

• Members

If I remember correctly, you can load it on the, X3, or N364, but the patches will be incorrect.

That would be ok. I don't need the patch info just the midi data.

I am trying to find out who the Korg rep in the Detroit area is so that I can contact him/her.

Thanks for your reply.

• Members

Take a look at this:

http://indra.com/~cliffcan/01files.htm#*.01w%20File

Since it is an oddball format you will want to move it into a diskimage.

The page above has links to a diskimage tool and a protocol for converting files

This is a link to another diskimage tool that works with a bunch of ancient formats:

http://www.shlock.co.uk/Utils/OmniFlop/OmniFlop.htm

There is a shareware tool called awave studio that may recognize the files.

more here:

http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/2006/FMJ-Software-Awave-Studio-10.html

I don't have an 01, so...uh - let us know how it goes. :)

• Members

Thanks a lot Spoken word.

I downloaded Omniflop and it looks like it might do the trick as it lists the 01/w as one of the file types it can translate. I just have to get my head around how it works.

Your knowledge of these things is amazing as you have helped me several times here.

Thanks a bunch. Your smart assitance is one of the very cool things about this forum. I have called Korg, Gtr Ctr, posted on Korgforum..... and right here at SSS one of our resident geniuses comes through again.

Blessings to you my friend. :phil:

• Members

Hey Spokenword:

On the Omniflop website it says:

The OmniFlop Wizard will let you archive a whole disk to a file on your PC and write such a file back onto a disk, formatting it if needed. This is great for handling the whole disk, but if you want to edit or alter the content of the disk (i.e. files, samples, data) on the disk you'll need a program which understands the (logical) format of the disk - i.e. the filing system

Some utilities allow you to edit the images of the disks - i.e. the files produced by the OmniFlop Wizard. Other utilities are integrated with the OmniFlop driver and can directly access the disks themselves - for these, you will need a version of the OmniFlop driver installed which has the necessary support - or a later version.

It also lists says that one of the file types it supports is:

Read, write, and format Korg 01/W format (720kB)

All I am trying to do is copy the 01/W disks and then save them as General MIDI files.

Do you think I will need another utility to do this?

Thanks in advance.

• Members

originally posted by
Jotown

All I am trying to do is copy the 01/W disks and then save them as General MIDI files.

Do you think I will need another utility to do this?

Yes. That is what I was suggesting. The disk imager (omniflop) just allows you to take a box of 01/W floppies and save their contents in image files that you can backup or email to a collaborator or whatever.

Making sense of those files will require one of the tools - some free, some shareware with a trial period - that you can find via the google link in my last post. The search words that I used for Google were "korg 01/W read midi files".

Archived