non-quantitative monitoring level

dahkter

• Members

Hello

I've read several threads on these boards where people say they monitor at a specific db level when tracking or mixing.

As I do not presently own an instrument to measure this, can someone please give me a ballpark understanding of what the sound level should be like in the studio when mixing tracks for an extended period of time?

Should I be able to easily here the persons voice next to me? What if they are on the other side of the room?

Should I be feeling any of the bass coming out of the sub, or just hearing it?

Thanks for some guidance/comments/tips on this matter.

Take care,

Jason

• Members

Those would be pretty subjective answers... the key to the issue, I think is consistency. So that when you're monitoring at your "normal" level the actual volume of sound is more or less consistent with what was "normal" yesterday and the day before. (As well as 20 minutes before... which is where the rubber really meets the road.)

Basically, you're trying to set your levels so that you're not inadvertantly comparing two sounds at very different effective output levels. (And as we all should know by now -- and heaven help you if you don't -- our simple-minded little psychoacoustic systems tend to equate "louder" with "better sounding" [at least up to a point].)

• Members

Just between you me and the neighbor's wall... I've never been particularly sanguine in my appraisal of the ability of a RS SPL meter to accurately gauge levels across a range of tone that its microphone almost certainly cannot pick up...

But it is a step in the right direction as long as you don't, you know, assume it's accurate.

• Members

Frankly softer is probably better. If it sounds good soft, it will probably sound good loud.

The one thing to be careful about is adding too much bass when listening softly.

But find a comfortable working level and then cross check with occasional loud playback.

Less ear fatigue this way, too.

• CMS Author

Hello

I've read several threads on these boards where people say they monitor at a specific db level when tracking or mixing.

As I do not presently own an instrument to measure this . . .

Well, you could, for under $50. The Radio Shack sound level meter is practically the low budget "standard" and it's remarkably accurate for general audio measurements. The analog model is more useful than the digital model because you can take an "eyeball average" of readings more easily.

pRS1C-2266249w345.jpg

can someone please give me a ballpark understanding of what the sound level should be like in the studio when mixing tracks for an extended period of time?

The most important thing is that it shouldn't be uncomfortable and fatiguing. But this can be a function of your monitors and your room as well as the level at which you're listening. Some monitors will make you tired after an hour barely above conversational level.

Should I be able to easily here the persons voice next to me? What if they are on the other side of the room?

The monitor level should never be so loud, except for a brief check when everyone is paying attention to what it sounds like very loud, that you can't hear live voices. But then you really shouldn't be carrying on a meaningful conversation when trying to pay attention to what's coming out of the monitors.

Should I be feeling any of the bass coming out of the sub, or just hearing it?

Chances are you'll feel it before you really hear it, unless your subwoofer is really good.

You really should pick up a sound level meter. It's a cheap investment that can help save your hearing, make adjustments, learn what different loudness levels sound like, and you might even use it to help plan acoustical upgrages to your listening room. I don't recall the brand names now, but if $50 will bust your budget, there are a couple of copies of the original version of the original Radio Shack meter for $30, and the Radio Shack meters show up on eBay now and then.

• Members

One thing you could do - -

Get wav files of pink noise at 0 dBFS and -10 dBFS.

Use the 0 dB one to set up your gain staging with the monitors off:

Set everything to just barely light the clip indicators on each channel of your mixer, and on each mix bus. Mark the fader & attenuator positions with small triangles of white tape (or something similar). Setting the Aux bus sends to 'just barely clipping' at this time is also a good idea.

Then turn on your monitors and play back the -10 dB one, and set your monitor amp so you get about 82 dB SPL from each speaker (as measured at your mixing position). Turning on both speakers will give you 3 dB more, so you'll have 85 dB in stereo. Now mark the monitor amp level controls with tape again.

This will give a reference point to use when starting a mix down or mastering session. As long as your room, speakers or other gear in the path doesn't change, you're good to go. Just setting everything to the marks will get both your gain staging and mix level set up - - a real time saver.

I generally mix much quieter than 85 dB by pulling the submix faders for the monitors down, and occasionally bring it up to that level to check the way it sounds at full volume. This avoids unnecessary ear fatigue, and makes it much easier to hear subtle differences in levels.

Hope this helps...

Archived