National Teacher of the Year is a MUSIC Teacher!

Billster

• Members

You mean that some schools still have music teachers?

Y'know, over at the Frankfurt show, there's a whole emphasis on kids. There's a music for kids program, the School Jam contest (the winner will be playing at the Austin NAMM show), and during public day, entire classes of kids are checking out pianos and guitars and such. Music is still a very important part of school curricula.

Ah, the luxuries you can afford when 43% of your taxes DON'T go to defense...

• Members

Our teachers, in general, amaze me...Our music people are some of the hardest working I have ever seen. Congrats to them AND the award winners.

Some days, I listen near the music rooms, and the train wreck of noise coming out of there is ear splitting....shortly, it gets tolerable. Shortly after, it gets good....all while these people who have perfect pitch, talent of their own and subjected to the clashes and banging of novice learners...

• Members

Unfortunately music is a prove what you can do for me, and then I will back your subject in schools. Once the principals see that you can get the school on the front page with a musical production or by winning a contest, they start to pour money your way. I just received funding a music lab. It was base on the tremendous outpouring of students who participated in a battle of the bands we held. Any student was able to participate playing any style of music. We are a school of 1200 students in grades 9-12. We had 100 entries involving 427 kids. That was over 30% of the student body. The prize was to play at the after prom this weekend. While it was not good, there were many really good performances. We also landed on the front page twice.

The winner was able to record a cd in the schools new music lab, (after is was established) which it now has been. Until there was proof, there was no pudding. Now we can move forward. The money is there, but you have to beg, borrow, and prove that you will make it work.

• Members

Unfortunately music is a prove what you can do for me, and then I will back your subject in schools. Once the principals see that you can get the school on the front page with a musical production or by winning a contest, they start to pour money your way. I just received funding a music lab. It was base on the tremendous outpouring of students who participated in a battle of the bands we held. Any student was able to participate playing any style of music. We are a school of 1200 students in grades 9-12. We had 100 entries involving 427 kids. That was over 30% of the student body. The prize was to play at the after prom this weekend. While it was not good, there were many really good performances. We also landed on the front page twice.

The winner was able to record a cd in the schools new music lab, (after is was established) which it now has been. Until there was proof, there was no pudding. Now we can move forward. The money is there, but you have to beg, borrow, and prove that you will make it work.

Imagine if the athletic department had to win a few football games with a volunteer staff and donated equipment before they got any funding.:o

• Members

Imagine if the athletic department had to win a few football games with a volunteer staff and donated equipment before they got any funding.
:o

Sounds like my high school's tennis team this year:o

And we don't even have a music program anymore. Meanwhile, the football fund just keeps growing...:mad:

I can see benefits of PT and sports programs - in an era of growing obesity among youth, such physical activities are important IMHO. But I don't understand the logic behind cutting musical education funding when studies repeatedly show that such programs are not only beneficial from an arts standpoint, but that students who participate in them have generally higher test scores in other academic areas and show better social skills.

IMHO, it's just sort-sighted to cut music education funding. :(

Glad to see the teacher of the year is a music educator. :phil:

• Members

Much of educational funding has been cut as a direct result of No Child Left Behind, which some educators snidely refer to as "No Child Left Untested". This includes Sp. Ed., as well as many of the areas mentioned here in this thread. If anyone ever thought that education had less political buffoonery, think again.

Archived