I know no one's talking about this, but...

kurdy

• Members

What do you all think of that American Idol songwriting competition? I'm surprised how little buzz there's been. I'm guessing they deliberately kept it low key, so that they wouldn't have to sort through millions of crap demos from delusional wannabes in order to find something decent.

I have a song which is one of those big pop ballads they seem to be so fond of on that show. I wrote it six or seven years ago, and I don't think I could bring myself to writing that type of song today, so I figured someone else may find some use for it. Anyway, I kept meaning to send it in, but kept putting it off, and the deadline was the 17th. Damn procrastination! Next year, there may be more publicity, making for stiffer competition, so I kinda feel like I missed out on an opportunity. (And I realize I'm probably making my chances even slimmer by mentioning it here :D)

Just curious about people's thoughts on it. Did anyone enter? Is it worth it? Are we supposed to talk about it? If not, then pretend I never brought it up. ;)

• Members

As my daughter (a big AI fan) said, "You should send something in, Dad." Well I don't exactlly write AI-type material, so I took it as a challenge and wrote a song in 48 hours and submitted it, just before the deadline. They charged $10 to enter a song -- just enough to keep out the riffraff :)

I actually ended up thinking I did a pretty good job, and I'm proud of the song. The next thing they do is choose the top 20 submissions, and people vote for them online. If I get chosen, you can bet I'll be spamming every forum in existence asking people to vote for me...it's a long shot, to be sure, but you'll never find out if you don't try.

I believe there were under 10,000 submissions (they said on the show there were "thousands of submissions"), so the odds are definitely better than the lottery! (And it was mentioned quite a few times on the show itself, they were definitely encouraging people to enter.)

• Members

I have to say I've never had much use for paid-entry songwriting contests. Which is most of what there is out there, of course. I understand the riffraff barrier angle but I'm simply not inclined to pay people to listen to my music. It's expensive enough to make.

But good luck to you guys!

• Members

I have to say I've never had much use for paid-entry songwriting contests. Which is most of what there is out there, of course. I understand the riffraff barrier angle but I'm simply not inclined to pay people to listen to my music. It's expensive enough to make.

I agree, I've never done it myself until now. But I have sympathy for what the AI guys would have had to wade through if they hadn't charged something. And I don't think they did it as a profit center, considering the millions the show makes...even if they made $60,000, I'm not sure that would even cover the expenses of setting up a separate competition and paying people to listen to all that music.

We'll see what happens :) AFAIC it's all in good fun.

• Members

Break into what?

Break into Canada. Those Canadian customs guys are a tough lot. ;)

But seriously...

It might be fun...if I wrote dramatic pop-schmaltz songs that were of the type sung by Whitney Houston or Celine Dion I might have a chance of winning. But I don't. So I won't.

• Members

They received around 25,000 entries.

I registered to vote so if Craig is selected I am ready!

From the website:

"Right now, our panel of experts is finalizing a shortlist of the top 20 strongest and most suitable songs for American Idol. These songs will then be showcased online from May 2 and you

• Members

Break into what.....

Man the last 3 winners up here get huge radio play and are working pretty hard. I would not be offended if a tune of mine got so annoyingly overplayed as they do with any hit. It's better then me selling a couple of CD's here and there... You don't want to know, but the last Cd I sold was at the local..... Damn this is embarrassing.... Farmers Market.... And I consider myself a rocker! :eek:

I recorded two demos for that contest - one from one of my longtime clients, and one from one of my daughters. I didn't bother writing a song myself, but I did help my daughter a bit with hers and played the guiar for her (gtr / vox) demo.

Last heard, there were over 5K entries, but that was before the contest deadline. I have no idea what the final count was.

Archived