Will you win using your age as a weapon?

• Members

Well, most of us over here are, I would say, not in their 20.

I'm working with several young performers and singers and I can tell there is a great difference between me in their age and them. I think there are better prepared to win the prize - whatever it is, like a hit song or great performance. Still I can provide some input, especially in music theory, studio technology, recording skills and knowledge. They are very appreciative and I was told several times to try to publish my own music.

While I can see the point I'm not sure that in my age - almost 50 - it worth trying hard to get there. Of course it's nice (in Borat language) to make a hit song again, but is it really possible to start over in this age using all your skills and knowledge and to make for example a Top 10 hit?

Recording is part-hobby, part-job for me. I'm making some money, but it is more for fun. But, it's so tempting :) What do you think?

• Members

nothing ventured nothing gained! so you chart at 102 for a week or even a one hit wonder would be even better.

laugh, smile or cringe when you hear it on the radio, it's all good.

go for it.

• Moderators

This is why I've been spending my time producing local acts. It is such a wonderful experience to be able to help in a mutual goal. I have very pertinent suggestions and they have the "my rock life's ahead of me" thing going for them.

I get to go backstage when a band I'm producing plays House of Blues for instance. Next week the wife and I will play the "that's our producer and his wife" role. It's great. I'm silverhaired, balding... and have a wealth of musical experience.

This is a great way to keep my love of making music alive.

• Members

use all your skills and provide value to whomever you are working with, the older we get the more valuable experience and insight we have. We may not be young and attractive and music video material, but for everyone one IN a music video there are many, many people working around them to make it happen!!

• Moderators

Buddist's think the act of washing dishes is as important as the clean dishes themselves. To aspire toward a goal is wonderful. To just do though, is magic. The act is it. If it all hinges on a particular outcome, it most likely won't be met. Even if it is met.

Comprende Grasshopper?

• Members

Getting there is always a goal for me, but "there" is a moving target. "There" used to be topping the pop charts and playing in front of 50,000. Sometimes "there" is having a CD of origional music played at my funeral. Most often "there" is somewhere in between.

But this does make me think back to the days when I was the kid in the bands. Many times I played with people 20+ years older than me. They always had my respect and I never saw a reason for them not to try and make it. Musicians are more tolerant of age than AR people seem to be.

Robert

• Members

Close your eyes, and listen to the music, whether it's played/produced/recorded/engineered by an 8 or 80 yr old, makes no difference. All that matters is the impact it has on you and on your audience.

If you can be a part of that (as most all of us on this board are), it's a beautiful thing IMO.

I wish everyone the best in their creative endeavours, so far so good, I'd like to see everyone here push each other to play and record great music, regardless of age or other obstacles. This is definitely much better than continuing to complain about the current state of what's on the radio/tv/etc and doing nothing about it.

• Members

My first live concert experience was Andres Segovia, and I think he was in his 70s or 80s at the time. So from the gitgo, I just figured if you have something cool to present, you're valid regardless of age.

• Members

Dude, don't give up!

The dynamic for this business is changing and reshaping itself into something different from what weve been used to. Right now it's a hideous(and not to profitable) monster. On the other side of the change, who knows what opportunities will await you?!

I can guarantee you one thing though... there's simply no replacement for great songs! There always has been, and always will be a need for great material...somewhere! Keep at it, and maybe you can do a couple collaboration projects(produced by you) with a few young vocalists in your area, and then use whatever contacts you have to try to present your music to a few music supervisors and get a song placed on a indy movie soundtrack. Not so easy, but it will be fun!

Now go kick some ass!!

• Members

My first live concert experience was Andres Segovia, and I think he was in his 70s or 80s at the time. So from the gitgo, I just figured if you have something cool to present, you're valid regardless of age.

+1 :thu:

Archived