INXS...What Really Happened?

• Members

So I'm listening to my "best rock ever" playlist on my Zen, and a couple INXS songs come up...they were a really kickass band, tight and funky. But the whole thing surrounding Michael Hutchence seems really strange. He killed himself, then his wife (Paula Yates, who I think was a journalist in Britain at one point) killed herself or ODed or something...and didn't they have a couple of kids? What happened to them? Did the Hutchence self-destruct from drugs, or fame, or...?

I know we have some Aussies on the boards here, so what's the real story on what happened with INXS? It seems pretty bizarre.

• Members

So I'm listening to my "best rock ever" playlist on my Zen, and a couple INXS songs come up...they were a really kickass band, tight and funky. But the whole thing surrounding Michael Hutchence seems really strange. He killed himself, then his wife (Paula Yates, who I think was a journalist in Britain at one point) killed herself or ODed or something...and didn't they have a couple of kids? What happened to them? Did the Hutchence self-destruct from drugs, or fame, or...?

I know we have some Aussies on the boards here, so what's the real story on what happened with INXS? It seems pretty bizarre.

Some folks say Bob Geldoff did both of em in:eek: ...Yates was married to Geldoff as well.....i'm not saying this is true but i've read it this conspriacy theory more then once.:eek:

• Members

Yates had three kids with Geldof and one to Hutchence. I have heard the same story as above about Hutchence. Yates was fighting over the Hutchence estate and with his parents about custody of Tiger ( the daughter). It then came out that Yates was not Jess Yate's(Dad) daugther. She was the spawn of a game show host I think by the name of Green. This sent her over he edge, so the story goes, and she OD'd on heroine.

Geldof then adopted Tiger to keep the sisters together.

Yates always contended that Hutchence did not committ suicide, but was killed and it was made to look like a suicide. Nothing ever came of that.

I do have a question about INXS, what ever became of the band that reformed and auditioned the new singer. I didn't follow it because I hate shows like that, but I wanted to see what the final product became. It must not have been that good. I didn't hear a whole lot about it.

• Members

Thanks Brewgoodbeer, I knew someone would have the answer :)

As to the reformed band, I don't think it went anywhere. A shame, really, because even without a charismatic lead singer INXS is a tight little group. But it's like of like the Doors without Jim Morrison...the sound might be there, but the raison d'etre isn't.

• Members

About a year ago, the local radio stations were playing a single from the "new" INXS. I think it was called "It Ain't Pretty". Sounded unremarkable & maybe that's for the best.

I liked Hutchence. He really had quite a powerful set of pipes, that guy. You could always tell it was an INXS tune after the first few words he'd sing. Damn shame he's gone.

• Members

In the 80's INXS was MY band :thu:

Hope you have "Running Down The Mountain" CRANKED or whatever it was called. They really did it for me back then. Almost 2 years ago when INXS had their reality show or whatever it was "looking for a new singer" show, they were camped out at Westlake Audio Studio "D" (my home turf) in Hollywood. I got to pop in over the weekend for a quick peek.

Russ

Nashville

• Members

As to the reformed band, I don't think it went anywhere. A shame, really, because even without a charismatic lead singer INXS is a tight little group. But it's like of like the Doors without Jim Morrison...the sound might be there, but the raison d'etre isn't.

yeah, without googling... name another mamber of INXS. INXS was a good bad with some good songs, but it was Hutchence that made that band. no one can really take his place. the band needs to stop defaming the legacy of it all.

• Members

I've never played in anything other than metal bands, but INXS is and always has been one of my favorite bands. When I was 13 or 14, my dad gave me a choice: I could go see INXS live (probably the "X" tour) or I could get an electric guitar. I went with the guitar, which was ultimately the better choice, but I do regret never seeing INXS.

Listen Like Thieves is a fantastic album, although all of them had some great songs.

• Members

yeah, without googling... name another mamber of INXS. INXS was a good bad with some good songs, but it was Hutchence that made that band. no one can really take his place. the band needs to stop defaming the legacy of it all.

The Farriss Brothers, Kirk Pengilly and Gary Gary Beers? :)

Though I forgot the name of the gameshow winner who's singing for them now, heh.

The years from "Shabooh Shoobah" and "Kick" were the best INXS, IMO. Everytime I hear the intro to "The One Thing" or "Original Sin" or "New Sensation" I think of total badassness.

Also, am I not the only one who thinks Madonna's "Material Girl" was a rip-off "I Send A Message?"

• Members

The Farriss Brothers, Kirk Pengilly and Gary Gary Beers?
:)

i would have to google to see if you are right :confused:

i did see them live a few times... they were quite good back in the day. had many great songs as well.

• Members

Couple of notes: daughter's full name Heavenly Hiraani Tiger Lily (!), Paula's proven natural father was former UK gameshow host Hughie Green (yuk), Geldof bump them off? No way. He's a blagger, Bob the Gob, not the friggin' CIA. Paula was widely misunderstood by the press, and given a hard time by the tabloids. A sad tale indeed.

Archived