is it cruel to put a bell on the collar of a cat?

• Members

You would be saving birds lives.

The bell may drive the kitty nuts, or not.

Would it be denying the cat the right to hunt?

Could it cause the cat to be more easily hunted?

etc

This is just pertaining to cats who actually have an area to roam in and see other wildlife, not apartment cats.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

While I understand there is environmental impact from felines - I don't really l know how the feral v truly domestic stuff works out so I can't really comment

FWIW - I've known a number of hunting cats that would go into "silent running" mode -- hey could move smoothly so their little bell wouldn't ring

Maybe that has to do with bell design and I've sure noticed a pretty big spread in terms of hunting talent in those critters

• Members

This might depend on the cats' personality.

Of my three, only one really seems to enjoy the post-hunt battle and thrash (I'm a pro at getting bird feathers out of the house :rolleyes:). The other two seem to enjoy the chase; afterwards, they kind of look at their prey, then around, then up at me, and ask "Now what?".

As to whether or not it drives the cat nuts, I wouldn't worry about that; it's payback for all the times they've planted their paws squarely in your crotch while you're sleeping. Our lovingly sunk their claws into your leg while you were eating. Or climbed up on the bed and stuck their ass in your face.

I won't put bells on my cats' collars, because they have a tendency for very early a.m. romp sessions. It's hard enough to sleep, as it is, trying to determine if the thump I just heard is a burglar or a fuzzy butt; bells would only add to the misery.

• Members

As slight-return mentioned, many cats can adapt and learn how to stalk their prey quite effectively while wearing bells on their collars. Some might consider that bad in that they are teaching the cat a new set of hunting skills. I don't have an opinion on it one way or the other, but my cats don't have bells on their collars.

• Members

The cat I adopted last fall was an all-indoor cat for most of her life (and is again). Her owner had a collar with tags on it that jingled.

The move was troubled, to say the least (I actually was just a tiny bit afraid she'd attack me in my sleep -- but we're best of pals now). So removing the collar wasn't even an option for a couple months. Besides, I wasn't sure that it might not upset her, a continuity thing.

And it was a supposed breakaway (yeah, sure, so how come it was almost impossible for ME to get it off?) but it was loose enough -- and we were finally on good enough terms -- that I decided I needed to deal with it lest it become a hazard.

When I finally got it off I put it aside. A few days later we were playing a little and I showed her the collar, holding it up. She seemed curious. I moved to hold it around her neck, seeing what she would do.

She immediately turned hostile and batted at me, claws out.

I figure -- in her case -- that said it all.

PS... one of my late (and still-lamented) cats, Dave, was a really good hunter but when when he started bringing birds into the house I decided it was time for him to get socialized. So I started removing any bird I found in his grasp, no matter what. Saved a few, had to euthanize at least one (I tend to put these things as far out of my mind as possible; I've had to euthanize a mouse or two, as well.) And -- since I talked to my cats all the time -- I talked to him; not angry, just my firm, patient, dad voice. (Mind you while his brother George had pretty good language skills, Dave's recognized words were pretty much "Dave," "George," "foodies," "backyard," and "no!") Anyhow, after a while, he stopped. I dunno why. Maybe he got tired of my patient, firm explanations about why it was wrong... ("Blah blah blah blah, Dave, blah blah blah perfectly good foodies blah blah blah poor little birdies blah blah good Christian cat blah blah blah...")

• Members

I think it's cruel to put a collar on a cat.

Side note: what are you feeding your guys? I've been trying people food but they hate potted meat product. Mixed reactions to vienna sausages, (Manx's dig it, tail hates it), they still love tuna but there's the mercury concerns. Sardines seem to be the best bet as they're low in mercury and the cats all dig em.

Back to the topic, my guys now are all inside dwellers and only go in the front yard with me and my sweetie sitting on the porch watching them. My last cat was a blue eyed white girl who was a champion hunter. She brought me birds, squirrels, and a rabbit way bigger than her. I could never sort out how she could catch squirrels until one day I watched her at the base of a tree with squirrels looking down and scolding her and she flew straight up that tree faster than most cats can run across the level ground. I don't think a bell would have made much difference with a cat as fast as her, but then again, I don't like collars on cats.

• Members

No but picking one up and putting a piece of Scotch tape on the bottom of each paw then setting it down is worth a laugh. You'll wish you had a video camera running when you do it....

Oh, this is so true.

And it's even funnier if you do it on a smooth, hard floor.

My favorite tape is the art tape, the white paper stuff that you can get at art supply stores, for holding artwork in place without tearing anything up; it also works well for marking your console channels.

• Members

Oh, this is
so
true.

And it's even funnier if you do it on a smooth, hard floor.

My favorite tape is the art tape, the white paper stuff that you can get at art supply stores, for holding artwork in place without tearing anything up; it also works well for marking your console channels.

My son likes to put tape on the paws of both cats; it's hilarious at times to watch them. Another thing that is really, really funny is when my daughter puts one of her hair clamps around the top of their tail. The clamps are not tight enough to restrict circulation, but they are just barely snug enough not to fall off easily. It's pretty entertaining to watch the cats chase their tail. It's every bit as entertaining to watch them bat the clamp around after they manage to shake it or wiggle it off of their tail.

• Members

As to whether or not it drives the cat nuts, I wouldn't worry about that; it's payback for all the times they've planted their paws squarely in your crotch while you're sleeping. Our lovingly sunk their claws into your leg while you were eating. Or climbed up on the bed and stuck their ass in your face.

I won't put bells on my cats' collars, because they have a tendency for very early a.m. romp sessions. It's hard enough to sleep, as it is, trying to determine if the thump I just heard is a burglar or a fuzzy butt; bells would only add to the misery.

It's payback. I like that. One of my cats shredded a brand new pair of workboots. Steel toe. $145. They look as if they went thru a tree shredder! Not your cat, I understand. That's OK. Put a bell on it. ;)

( Eyes puss and begins search for 3 foot rope of The Bells of Sarna.) :evil:

• Members

Cruel? For who?

If you are trying to save birds lives, you are already in denial. Birds die. Everyday.

If you are trying to keep the cat from eating them and getting parasites or something, I guess go for it. But, like the guy from Jurassic Park said, "Nature cannot be denied."

• Members

I think it's cruel to put a collar on a cat.

why???

I've always put a collar on my cat with a bell. I'm not talking about a studded leather 'doberman' type collar but something that's comfortable for the cat and not too tight.

I also leave him in at night, as they may look cute and cuddly, they are natural hunters and killers.

It's all part of being a responsible cat owner.

• Members

Side note: what are you feeding your guys?

Flint River Ranch. It's healthy, high-quality stuff that's not full of filler, so the cats eat less of it, and a bag lasts a while. It was recommended by a vet, and is available online.

• Members

It's another psych test.

HA LOL.

No It is not but frikkin hilariously enough, as i was writing it i was hit by the thought that someone may construe it that way as i have been on a minor rampage as of late.

No we have a little kitty who i absolutly adore. Mike is his name.

He likes to wander a bit as he explores, so sweety got him a collar for his name tag and it came with a nice sounding little bell. Quite nice sound actually, i may sample it!

Anyway i just wondered about the affect on his phsycological state.

Or, we could look at it like the cat is a metaphor for what we will all be in a few short years. Pets with bells around our necks, or reasonable facsimiles.

• Members

Indoor cats + bells = no problem, unless the cat really can't stand the bell.

Outdoor cats + bells =

a) What the heck's wrong with you? Unless it's a working cat (a mousecatcher), presumably it's your precious pet. Outside it is prone to all sorts of things: moving vehicles, cruel children, dogs, raccoons, fleas, ticks, mites, etc.... and its lifespan is significantly shorter. Get that poor thing indoors!

b) A BELL on such a cat screams TARGET! to all would-be predators. IF you're gonna be foolish enough to let your pet wander outdoors, it should NEVER be belled (or declawed).

• Members

I know they love it. I bring mine out from time to time - but I don't let them roam.

all my cats go outdoors. they LOVE it. i think its more abusive to keep them indoors.

I used to have a basset hound when I was a kid. Most folks think of them as lazy fireplace dogs... not this one. And apparently, the neighborhood cats also underestimated him. They'd jump the fence and wander in my yard. The dog would wake up, stalk a bit, and then ZOOM! This dog was so damn fast he even grabbed birds out of mid-air; he once got one right in front of me when I was on the riding mower.

The cats stood no chance. I saw him get two of them. Every few years I had to dig up the rose garden to remove all the cat and rabbit bones. A couple of neighbors who lost their cats complained - I felt bad but all I could tell them was "You need to make sure your cat is not coming into MY yard, your pet's safety is your own responsibility".

I never forgot the lesson of that. My cats, unless I'm out with them, stay indoors.

• Members

i have fairly large cats... which cars seem to pose more trouble than dogs, plus its wooded here so they have many "escape routes", my dog actually "treed" our neighbors cat some 50' in a tree... that was interesting getting it down. the fastest dogs i have seen cant out run a cat really.

i dunno, less i have to clean the litter box the better. i would keep them outside permanently if i could.

• Members

The size of the cats made no difference. The dog was fast and agile, complete surprises in a basset... he'd grab the poor cat or rabbit or bird and give one strong shake of his big head while still running. The unfortunate prey would simply turn to blood and guts at that moment, and he'd devour it. More than once I had to hose him down to clean the blood off after he staged a successful hunt.

i have fairly large cats... which cars seem to pose more trouble than dogs, plus its wooded here so they have many "escape routes", my dog actually "treed" our neighbors cat some 50' in a tree... that was interesting getting it down. the fastest dogs i have seen cant out run a cat really.

i dunno, less i have to clean the litter box the better. i would keep them outside permanently if i could.

Archived