Mastering, how to get the sound of "Herb Powers" for less.

• Members

Ship that job overseas!

Offshore mastering is the NEXT big thing!

Pretty soon we'll see spam for offshore mastering labs every morning here instead of sports shoe spam...

:D

My take on this ish is budget -- if you've got a sufficient budget, then send that mastering out to someone you have reason to trust. (How you find him/her/them is up to you, mind you. ;) ) But if you haven't got a budget and the project is going to be released as one-off CDs or demos... well... I'll bet you have a compressor and an EQ and a couple pair of monitors (as well as some friends with a range of playback setups you can tour for reference checks). Just try to be too "pro" and squash every bit of life and sparkle out of it chasing competitive loudness.

One thing I've thought about: mastering clubs.

One of the things that ME's tend to cite as a benefit of their process is "fresh ears." Your pals (online and in the 3DW) may not have $40K compressors and computer designed monitoring environments but they do have "fresh ears" -- a different monitoring environment and loudspeakers (and even the same loudspeakers in a different environment will tend to sound different, of course) and different ears and values and perceptions.

You do one for him. He does one for you. It's not ideal -- but it doesn't cost hundreds an hour, either.

• Members

Audiocon,

Goodness Gracious .. this guy ought to be able to charge whatever he wants.

Great looking sight. He's definitely got a niche.

If you're interested PM me and let me know what kind of budget you are willing to work with and I can then let you know what the "most BANG for the buck" looks like. I've got some pretty sweet connections over the years.

Russ

Nashville (No we're not just country music) Ha!! Ha!!

• Members
Okay, lets get one thing straight, I cannot afford this guy's mastering services and so I was wondering if anyone knew who could master my album with the same quality for less.

Audioicon

Well the truth is unless the person who masters your project has the same gear, the same room, the same ablitiy, the same ears and same experience you probably won't get the same quality for any price.

• CMS Author
Okay, lets get one thing straight, I cannot afford this guy's mastering services and so I was wondering if anyone knew who could master my album with the same quality for less.

Buy Craig Anderton's book on Audio Mastering (if it's still being published).

• Members

Well the truth is unless the person who masters your project has the same gear, the same room, the same ablitiy, the same ears and same experience you probably won't get the same quality for any price.

Very true. See the reason I was looking at Herb Powers is this, all his master fits right into my genre or the range of music I produce. But I was wow by his portfolio.

Audioicon

• Members

Buy Craig Anderton's book on Audio Mastering (if it's still being published).

Honestly, mastering is something I don't want to get involved with myself.

But I could give it a read if I had a copy.

Patrick

• Members

Honestly, mastering is something I don't want to get involved with myself.

But I could give it a read if I had a copy.

Patrick

You are not doing yourself any favours then.

Knowledge is power. If you understand the issues that arise in mastering, you can take steps to eliminate most of them in all the processes that lead up to it.

Recording/mixing and mastering are not buttons you push.

It is a fickle process that benifits from experience and knowledge of the entire process from all involved.

But hey it's your music.:)

• Members

I like to sit down with mastering guys once they do the 1st couple songs and kinda 'go over' things just make sure were on the same page. This way I don't get back one of those horror stories you read about over at gearsluts.

So, in that light I'd suggest you stick to someone local or someone out of state that's highly recommended by people who have the same sonic tastes as you. Oh and yes, I met Herb Powers many years ago. He was on panel at the very 1st music convention I ever attended. The guys knows his sheet, but I dont have to tell you that!

• Members

You are not doing yourself any favours then.

Knowledge is power. If you understand the issues that arise in mastering, you can take steps to eliminate most of them in all the processes that lead up to it.

Recording/mixing and mastering are not buttons you push.

It is a fickle process that benefits from experience and knowledge of the entire process from all involved.

But hey it's your music.
:)

Very well said my friend, I agree with you. I was reading several articles today that talks about what and what not to do during a mix in order to get a good master. So I agree, if I read those books/articles, I could get lots of first hand knowledge.

Thanks

Audioicon

• Members

Why Herb Powers? His stuff can get insanely loud...

Then again, that's usually up to the producer.

I don't believe he made those disc as loud on his own, Herb is from the old days before they had the "Notorious" Maximizers plug-ins that is sending our society deaf or before they started abusing compression as a deafening tool.

I'm sure the producers made him do it that way, he has a lot of stuff that are not as loud as others.

Audioicon

• Members

Very well said my friend, I agree with you. I was reading several articles today that talks about what and what not to do during a mix in order to get a good master. So I agree, if I read those books/articles, I could get lots of first hand knowledge.

Thanks

Audioicon

Yes, you must know that mastering is a series of comprimises to fix problems with the existing product and they all take their toll.

There are the simple things like max loudness and equally leveling tunes, sequencing etc but the bulk of it is usually repair, so it is a drag to lose quality at that stage due to mistakes or overlooked issues from mixing or trakking.

In todays world where alot of stuff is done by semi professionals it is undeniable that even a little bit of the understanding of the mastering process will help your music.

I am trying to be helpful so even if you get it already i will give an example for others reading that is most common:

The low mid range of the stereo file is not right, so it has to be tweaked to fix the muddy-ness.

In fixing the low register if the boomy guitars etc you thin out what was the perfectly EQ'd vocal, the most important part, and a serious comprimise is made! the better the mastering engineer the less you will hear it.

It's just one example but these are the things that happen, you can hear these things even in major label stuff.

• Members

I don't believe he made those disc as loud on his own, Herb is from the old days before they had the "Notorious" Maximizers plug-ins that is sending our society deaf or before they started abusing compression as a deafening tool.

I'm sure the producers made him do it that way, he has a lot of stuff that are not as loud as others.

Audioicon

Well I can say this: that Jennifer Lopez album in 2002 was, well... Godawfully loud even in commercial terms. It didn't sound nasty or distorted which was a plus, but it was hard to listen to.

Again, all I do is :blah: , but see for yourself. I'm sure Cory Rooney + the label (Epic in this case) had more to do with it than Powers. (Also: I like some of production on that record but FFS how loud can you mix a snare?)

Isn't "mastering" another word for "loud" these days?

Not always. Film scores, if they have a wise producer and ME, can have an absolutely beautiful dynamic range. Then again, I heard the soundtrack to Advent Children and they squashed the living daylights out of a song by the name of Tenrai. It was strictly an orchestra piece... Shivers (the bad, cold ones) ran down my spine.

I'd really hate to see the loudness seep too heavily into music that REQUIRES a wide dynamic range. It is happening though. SAVE US, MUSIC GOD(S), SAVE US! :cry:

Also, Imogen Heap's last solo record wasn't heavy on the compression either. She's pretty poppy...

• Members

Hopefully you'll be surprised... Herb is a great guy and I'm sure he would be willing to talk with you directly about your project and how you guys can meet your budget. If he's still out of your budget range consider contacting Ricardo Gutierrez at zonedigi.com. Ricardo has been Herb's right hand man for several years now and he's a fabulous mastering engineer in his own right.

Good luck!

Archived