Sonar MIDI Groove Clips???

• Members

I know that with MIDI Groove Clips, you can "roll them out" in a track, and even edit subsequent instances of the initial clip, but I thought I read somewhere that MIDI Groove Clips can be made to remember the instrument / patch they have been assigned to - is this true or was I just misinformed by something I read on the World Wide Web?

• Members

Not that I know of. I think you may have confused midi groove clips with Apple Loops which I think does contain that info. Since I never have the need to switch instruments per track and Sonar remembers all that anyway when you hit save, it amounts to the same thing as far as I'm concerned.

• Members

Not that I know of. I think you may have confused midi groove clips with Apple Loops which I think does contain that info. Since I never have the need to switch instruments per track and Sonar remembers all that anyway when you hit save, it amounts to the same thing as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for the info. The reason I asked was because apparently, SHSXL6, which I'm thinking of getting, does not have MIDI Groove Clip support, and I wanted to know if I could live without it...

Did some research and in a review of Sonar 3, someone said something about the clip having instrument information embedded in it, like Apple Instrument Loops, as you mentioned.

This would actually be a cool feature, because if you saved the MIDI Groove clip outside of a project, if you imported into a new project, it would sound just the way you saved it - with the VSTi/DXi instrument/patch/settings associated with it.

• Members

I see two problems with saving MIDI clips with embedded instrument and patch information.

1. What happens if you save a bunch of clips using your favorite piano or drum patch, only to purchase a new VSTi a week later with better drums or piano? You have to edit every clip.

2. What happens if you string a part together using severial different clips and those clips are saved with different instrument, but you want to keep the instrument consistent throughout the part? You have to edit or override all the patch information stored in the clips.

It is much easier to keep let your host save the instrument and patch information and you patterns remain portable.

• Members

I see two problems with saving MIDI clips with embedded instrument and patch information.

1. What happens if you save a bunch of clips using your favorite piano or drum patch, only to purchase a new VSTi a week later with better drums or piano? You have to edit every clip.

2. What happens if you string a part together using severial different clips and those clips are saved with different instrument, but you want to keep the instrument consistent throughout the part? You have to edit or override all the patch information stored in the clips.

It is much easier to keep let your host save the instrument and patch information and you patterns remain portable.

This will be resolved in Sonar release 6.7 with the the MIDI Groove Clip|Save as |with New Instrument command, and the Track|Override MIDI Groove Clip Instrument command. :D

Archived