Great soudning new soft synth

• Members

Heck, I am earthy sort of musician who sups at the trough of the Beatles, Tom Waits, Astor Piazzolla, Duke Ellington, the Kinks, and Pavement...

But I love programming synths. Love designing sounds and learning new synth architectures, though its amazing how rarely my synthesis creations find their way into my music...it almost a separate pursuit with separate payoffs. For now at least.

Anyway, there's a newish softsynth out there called Sylenth1 that will liekly shock you with the solidity and thickness of its essential sound. Archiecturally, it's nothing novel at all, though it is pretty well designed and has good if basic subtractive stytle functionality. But the sound, I'm telling you. I A-B'd the demo against the demo of the GForce Minimosta (which was previoulsy my idea of the best sounding analog-style softy) and both sound great but Sylenth wins for substance, roundness and that molten rubber solidity that is my aesthetic definition of "analog." I then A-B'd with the analog oscs on my mono Evolver and, well let's just say that Sylenth is right there.

I don't work for the company. In fact, I went on the company forum at KVR to note that I find the price point to be too high for what the synth does. I'm either waiting for a price adjustment or a nice group buy.

I'd post it at the keys forum down below. But I don't like it there. They all like Pink Floyd too much.

Here's the link:

http://www.lennardigital.com/modules/home/

• Members

Lemme know when the price point drops to free...

:D

I still have a handful of new soft synths to explore... I guess I just burned myself out. I keep thinking I'm about back around but the old magic just isn't there, yet... This is cyclic with me. I think I feel like I went as far with the whole downtempo/folktronica thing as I could back around the turn of the century...

• Members

Lemme know when the price point drops to free...

I still have a handful of new soft synths to explore... I guess I just burned myself out. I keep thinking I'm about back around but the old magic just isn't there, yet... This is cyclic with me. I think I feel like I went as far with the whole downtempo/folktronica thing as I could back around the turn of the century...

I hear you. I've been disinterested in the softies for a while too. Its cyclic AND viral. It comes back and next thing you know you're gassing for a new softsynth or softsamp.

I ended up buying the damn Cameleon 5000 becuase they've dropped the price to 99 bucks for the next month, and it is a fascinating instrument. Doesn't suit my sound aeasthetics as much as Sylenth, but, as I said above, i do it more for the satisfaction of the porgramming process, not necessarily the usability of the results, and Cameleon 5000 is an absolute gas.

• Members

I've listened to the Clementines more than a few times and I've yet to hear a synth... I'm listening to Wormwood now and I'm thinking there might be considerable more room for a synth there... but no synth in the track I'm listening to, I don't think. (It's mighty cool, though! Very postmodern but... dang, all those real instruments!)

Point me somewhere I can hear some of your synth explorations...

BTW... my insistence on free has more to do with my particular circumstances right at this dot in time rather than my sense that synth developers (just like the rest of us software guys, musicians, photogs, artists, etc) should be compensated for their work when people use/consume it.

• Members

I've listened to the Clementines more than a few times and I've yet to hear a synth... I'm listening to Wormwood now and I'm thinking there might be considerable more room for a synth there... but no synth in the track I'm listening to, I don't think. (It's might cool, though! Very postmodern but... dang, all those
real
instruments!)

Point me somewhere I can hear some of your synth explorations...

Cool man! I've listened to your stuff quite a bit as well. I believe I've mentioned that to you before...

Anyway, I've actually done an awful lot of composing with synths and (esp.) samplers and sample playback units, some for local theater and most of it for the audio theater troupe that I'm a member of, The Magnificent Glass Pelican.

There's a random couple of MGP tracks online (this, from 15 years of weekly broadcasts...) at http://www.myspace.com/magnificentglasspelican. I don't manage this page and have nothing to do with what gets put there. Theme #3 is a fairly little typical song of mine that we use as theme song, but its all samples with a little bit of synth thrown in (ReBirth if I'm not mistaken...). There's lots more, but I am nowhere near the electronic sonic adventurer (in a songwriter context) that you are. Most of my more sonically advenutrous stuff is stuck on my hard drive.

• Members

Why else do you think I'm blowing smoke under your tail, here? You don't think I actually care about other people's music do you? :D :D :D

J/K

Audio theatre troupe... now THAT sounds cool.

I'm a big Firesign Theatre fan... I was a TV baby, for sure, but radio theatre was still really big when I was a kid. I remember The Whistler, Inner Sanctum, Johnny Dollar... and then all those soaps my great grandmother used to listen to (she had this time matrix grid all plotted out... she could get through about 85% of the day without having to be deprived of ongoing, wildly convoluted, intertwined plots -- she was 88 when she passed in 1962 [meaning she was born less than ten years after the end of the American Civil War... roll that around in your head] and she could not only keep all the radio soap plots straight -- she could keep the completely separate plots of the TV versions of her favorite shows straight, too. I used to ask her for updates on the couple I sort of followed [one was Edge of Night -- it was the "noire" soap -- but still plenty soapy] and she always had it down cold).

Uh... where was I...?

• Members

I'm digging Theme #3... pretty cool. The vox are a tad buried... for once I actually wanted to make out the words.

I like the composition a lot and the mellotrony feel to a lot of the pads... nice.

I got a good laugh from the bits. (I didn't get all the way through "Bill Burroughs" doing the Charles in Charge theme... since I'd never heard the song the Burroughs imitation was the main draw.) Tommi and Writing definitely gave me a few chuckles.

"'The'... that's a good start... definitive..."

Yeah.

• Members
I A-B'd the demo against the demo of the GForce Minimosta (which was previoulsy my idea of the best sounding analog-style softy)

You should also check out Terratec's Komplexer. Currently my fave analog Type VI, and very reasonably priced, and it loads Waldorf Micro-Q banks. There's a demo on their .ftp ftp://ftp.terratec.de/Producer/KOMPLEXER/Updates/

Archived