Eulogy for an Old and Trusted Friend

• Members

Eulogy for an Old and Trusted Friend

Today I mourn the passing of an old and trusted friend. When I was 16 years old, about 12 years ago, I purchased a barely-used Tascam 424 Portastudio cassette-based 4-track recorder to record the horrible songs I was writing with my newly acquired guitar 'skills'. Many many cassettes did I go through, using them until they sounded so bad I had to replace them. I think I've still got some of those around, more's the pity. And unfortunately, I know there's at least a couple copies still out there of the compilation of my songs I gave out to some friends when I graduated high school and moved to Seattle. If you, or someone you know has one of those, please burn it.

It wasn't long before I and my trusty Tascam were enlisted to help with recording the band some of my friends were in. The guy I bought it from also threw in two books on home recording, my first introdution to the world of audio engineering. I bought a few mics, and with a collection of other mics and mixers and doohickeys and whatchamacalits from various people, we got at least mildly proficient at ghetto-style garage band recording. I started using a ski bag to carry my equipment: the lower compartment (intended for ski boots) housed the Tascam and the recording books, while the upper compartment housed the array of mics and cords and adapters and random {censored} that accumulated. Eventually I had enough things in that bag that if something was needed, I could whip it out in a second, earning me the nickname Felix, for I could pull anything out of my bag of tricks (apparently Felix the Cat had a bag of tricks, I can't speak to the truthfulness of this statement myself.)

I continued to use the Tascam for years, recording the bands that I could on it. When I acquired my first keyboard, I even attempted to make techno songs on it, sans sequencer. This is very difficult, I assure you. Eventually, however, I bought a computer so I could have a real sequencer and DAW. The trusty Tascam didn't go away, though. I have continued to use it as a mixer for synths and DAW outputs, and as a headphone monitoring path for the past 5 1/2 years. He's seen a lot of action over the years. The rewind button is mashed in; it still works, you just have to press it right. Most of the pots are noisy, and it's had numerous things spilled on it. The tape transport isn't very stable anymore, the speed fluctuates, but it's been a long time since I tried to use it anyway. The input jacks are pretty worn: a couple of them are hard to get a plug into, and a couple others have to be tapped in the right way to get a connection.

The trusty Portastudio has hung on longer than anyone should expect it to. He would be willing to go a few extra miles, but I decided to let him rest in peace. I have bought a small Soundcraft mixer to take his place, but I won't forget him. What skills I have as an engineer began with that little grey guy and the books that came with him. And there are others who won't forget him either. The friends of mine whose bands I recorded, or whose solo work I recorded back in high school will surely remember him as fondly as I do. You've done us well, Tascam 424 Portastudio, and now you may rest in peace.

424.jpg

• Moderators

I see you've got the newer cooler model. :) I had the 244 and my buddy had the 144. What a fantastic thing they were. The power to actually work up an arrangement in my bedroom and present it to the band in it's full, double speed, dbx'ed, sweepable mid glory was a Godsend. That was power.

• Members

Kids these days with their 64 tracks on their home computer can't appreciate what a godsend these machines were in their day. Oh yeah, followed on the heels of their older reel-to-reel brothers, like the 3340 and 2340, but here, you had an easily accessible format (cassette) and the whole thing in one box, and you could take it anywhere!!! Sure, only 4 tracks, but, heck, we all knew how to bounce tracks. Of course you lost fidelity, but you could get creative as hell!!!

• Members

You're fortunate that you got the Tascam models. I bought a Fostex X-28 way back in the day and it was a dog from day one. It was a beautiful thing when I was finally able to replace it with computers.

It recalls an issue I've stressed over a little from time to time. Back when I got that 4-track recorder I'd never had a device like that. I was trying to learn to use it and although channel 4 seemed weak it was hard for me to determine whether the unit was faulty or was it just because I just didn't know what I was doing? The warranty expired before I realized there was actually something wrong with the unit.

I've had similar feelings since then when I bought a new mixer or keyboard. The units are so packed with features and options it seems like a guy could be using them for a long time before he found something about the unit that didn't work properly!

• Members

My first multi-track was a 3340 "knifeblade-switch" model (no servos... forcing you to switch from RW to FF momentarily before hitting the stop button... if you wanted to keep your tape from stretching or worse, anyhow).

And I loved that thing. I wore the heads down to nubbins. I then replaced it with a couple of 3440s but the magic was never the same. My only remaining R2R deck (unless I missed something) is a TASCAM 40-4 and, though I've never really given it a big workout, it's always seemed like a pretty solid deck.

(The deck that wrecked it all for me was a used and undependable 70-8 that I sunk a couple grand in just around the time the ADAT was announced. By the time the ADAT was out, the 70-8 had been in the shop about 80% of the time I owned it and I was oh-so-ready to move on.)

• Members

Hey Veracohr,

Your story is just about like mine.

In 1982 I bought a Fostex X-15 4-trk cassette recorder and mine

is about in the same condition as yours !!! However, it was the very machine that launched my entire career (which has been going 25 years professionally) and to this day is the most life changing piece of gear I've ever bought. I still keep that machine as a little memento of where I've been, along with a couple award winning Mackie 1604's and a couple speakers ripped out of the back of my car !!!

Maybe if I get a chance, I can post a picture and tell you a bit more of the story. Nice :)

Good luck to you,

Russ Ragsdale

Nashville

• Members

Yamaha MT2X for me.

4-track.jpg

Boy that was sure cool the first time you recorded a track, and then laid down another one and played it back. It's like, "Wow, this is starting to sound like a band!". I had a lot of fun with it. Unfortunately, I loaned it to a friend and it was never the same after I got it back. There's a lesson there somewhere.

My last recording setup was a couple of Roland VSR-880's and a VM-7200 mixer. Nice gear, but I recently sold it off since I'm not really doing anything with it these days. It was a little grandiose for my applications anyways.

Eventually I'll set up something simple for my computer based around Audition or maybe Sonar. My needs are really pretty basic, and I know people who own the fancy stuff if I feel the need to go crazy.

There was something to be said about those 4-track cassette machines. They were simple. You plug em in, turn em on and you're ready to go. Simple and to the point.

• Members

Interesting, I always used a fresh tape.

If you, or someone you know has one of those, please burn it.

...on CD, so I can share it with the forum. ;)

You've done us well, Tascam 424 Portastudio, and now you may rest in peace.

:thu: :thu: Great story, man. :cry:

424.jpg

That's a beautiful little buddy you got there! He's so sweet! :love::cry:

RIP :flowers:

• Members

Another of the wonderful toys of that golden age (recording the old high school band in the garage) is sitting just a few feet from me. It's something called a Multivox Analog Echo, it belongs to a friend. I remember playing with it until I got some more or less whale-song sorts of sounds out of it when it was applied to the vocals through the practice P.A. I don't think it works anymore. In fact, I just picked it up and something is clunking around inside. I should take a look at it and see if I can fix it. It doesn't sound good, not even passable really, but it was fun.

• Members

:cry: :cry: :cry:

RIP dear friend...

The Rainbow Bridge

There is a bridge connecting Heaven & Earth.

It is called the Rainbow Bridge because of its colors.

Just this side of the Rainbow Bridge there is a land of

meadows, hills and valleys with lush green grass.

When beloved recording gear dies, the gear goes to this place.

There is always a smoke free environment and clean power.

The old and frail electronics are young again. Those who

are broken are made whole. They play together all day.

There is only one thing missing: They are not with

their special person who loved them on Earth.

Each day they run and play until the day comes

when one suddenly stops playing and looks up!

The buttons twitch! The meters are a flutter! The LEDs are staring!

And this one suddenly runs from the group.

You have been seen, and when you and your special friend meet,

you take your gear in your arms and embrace.

Your kiss your gear again and again, and you look once

more into the LEDs of your trusting friend.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together,

never again to be separated.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

• Moderators

You have been seen, and when you and your special friend meet,

you take your gear in your arms and embrace.

Your kiss your gear again and again, and you look once

more into the LEDs of your trusting friend.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together,

never again to be separated.

Is this true? If it is I may be wearing a disguise when I arrive. I don' want my no name 1970 EB-O copy to find me. :eek:

If it's just recording gear... I think I'm safe??? :confused:

• Members

I still have my Akai MG1214. For you young guys it is a 12 track recorder based on Beta format tapes. It make great recordings. I just can't get rid of it. I just bought a flight case for it (they are pretty big) to keep it safe. There is still one place that I know of that will service it. I sure hope that never happens....I feel your pain.

• Members

Is this true? If it is I may be wearing a disguise when I arrive. I don' want my no name 1970 EB-O copy to find me.
:eek:

If it's just recording gear... I think I'm safe???
:confused:

I've got a feeling that particular piece was used for timber in the building of The Rainbow Bridge.

:thu:

• Moderators

I've got a feeling that particular
piece
was used for timber in the building of The Rainbow Bridge.

:thu:

Let's hope so. I think it was a Fernando, or a Fernandes, Ferdinand or a Ferngully or something like that. If it isn't part of the bridge maybe I can duck when I hear the bass riff to Space Truckin'. That would be him for sure. :)

• Members

I still have my Akai MG1214. For you young guys it is a 12 track recorder based on Beta format tapes. It make great recordings. I just can't get rid of it. I just bought a flight case for it (they are pretty big) to keep it safe. There is still one place that I know of that will service it. I sure hope that never happens....I feel your pain.

I have one of those that is in operating condition as well. It does make great recordings, and if the tapes were available, I'd still recommend it to people since you can get them for nothing and it sounds better than most people's DAWs. I'm going to try and transfer all my old tapes over to Pro Tools and then get rid of it (I have a really sweet-sounding DAW system, so I'm okay with that).

I'm assuming that the service place you are talking about VST in Pasadena? Great people over there.

• Members

I have one of those that is in operating condition as well. It does make great recordings, and if the tapes were available, I'd still recommend it to people since you can get them for nothing and it sounds better than most people's DAWs. I'm going to try and transfer all my old tapes over to Pro Tools and then get rid of it (I have a really sweet-sounding DAW system, so I'm okay with that).

I'm assuming that the service place you are talking about VST in Pasadena? Great people over there.

I am lucky enough to still have 19 tapes (7 still in plastic). I did the same thing. I moved my old Akai tracks over to Pro Tools. I had a bunch of tapes I did in college in the early 80s. Classic stuff. They are all preserved digitally now but I still love the sound from those beta tapes. I haven't used it to record anything lately but now I am interested in what it can do vs PTLE. I'm gonna keep mine for the nostalgia. It will be cool to pull out in 20 or 30 years.

The service place I'm talking about is in Arlington Heights, Illinois.

Archived