shampoo

• Members

My local radio station (well it's in Sydney and I stream it) has just completed an experiment regarding the use of shampoo.

It has been suggested that your hair produces natural oils and when you constantly wash them away with shampoo they just increase the oil output to compensate.

On the other hand if you cease using shampoo the glands will continue to produce natural oils and your hair will become thick and greasy, BUT after around 6 weeks they settle down and return to their natural state.

So a group of around 400 listeners, including the show host decided to try this out. They gave themselves 6 weeks where they only washed their hair with water - no shampoo.

The result returned that over 80% of the testers believed that their hair was better after ceasing shampoo than before. Their hair felt clean and natural and all the natural lightness and bounce had returned. They concluded that there was no need to use shampoo.

The other day my ears blocked up due to ear wax and when I asked the doc why I got so much ear wax he said it was because I had hairy ears!

:idea: :idea:

I wonder if there is a relationship between ear wax buildup and the use of shampoo??

cheers

john

• Members

Okay, I'll ask again. How would your glands know how much oil is in your hair or scalp? I don't see how they could. It makes no sense to me.

It's like that bit about shaving off your mustache to get it to grow back thicker. It's not true. It's an old wives' tale.

• Members

It is true,...

I've had dreadlocks for years and years and never washed with shampoo. Only water nothing else.

People who touched and sniffed my dreadlocks because they thought them must be really dirty always were surprized how clean and good they felt.

I never wash with shampoo. Never.

• Members

The skin tells the nerves.

The nerves tell the blood.

The blood tells the glands.
;)

It's the shampoo who make the fish impotent in the lake

The urin tells the river

The river tells the ocean

The ocean tells the cloud

The rain tells the snow

The snow tells the ground water

The tap water tells you

Deformed fish pose mystery for scientists

http://www.swissinfo.org/eng/science_technology/detail/Deformed_fish_pose_mystery_for_scientists.html?siteSect=511&sid=769526&cKey=996474360000

Doctoral thesis on chemicals in Lake Thun

http://www.empa.ch/plugin/template/empa/1030/53170/---/l=2

Centre for Fish and Wildlife Health, University of Bern

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=15584420&dopt=Abstract

The occurrence of a large number of whitefish with morphologically altered gonads in Lake Thun (Switzerland) has been reported by commercial fishermen since the year 2000. Macroscopic and microscopic examination of gonads revealed that 35% (281 out of 808) of whitefish from Lake Thun were affected. Frequency of gonadal abnormalities varied significantly with sex, age and ecotype of whitefish. Apparent females (26% [106/408]) showed significantly less gonadal alterations than apparent males (40% [151/225]). Fish with deformed gonads were observed in all age classes from 1 to 6 yr, but were most frequent in the year classes 3+ to 5+. The gonadal alterations showed different frequencies among the 3 ecotypes of whitefish living in the lake: 1 ecotype was less affected (26%) than the other 2 forms (41% and 32%, respectively). The gonadal alterations included adhesions/fusions to the peritoneal wall and the lateral trunk musculature (overall: 5%; in females: 5%; in males: 5%), asymmetry (4%; 6%; 4%), atrophy (4%; 6%; 1%), compartmentations (11%; 4%; 18%), constrictions (3%; 1%; 7%) and hermaphroditism (1.1% of sampled fish, and 10 additional specimens collected by fishermen during the filleting process). In some cases, more than one alteration was observed in the same fish. Hermaphroditism manifested as 3 different types: (1) the lobular type, in which a consecutive sequence of testicular and ovarian lobes are found on the same gonad strand; (2) discrete gonads within one fish, with one gonad strand being ovarian tissue and the other being testicular tissue; and (3) the mosaic type, in which oocytes lie in tissue with normal testicular morphology, or spermatids or sperm are present in ovarian tissue. Several features of the gonadal alterations described in this study of whitefish from Lake Thun have also been reported for whitefish from other areas. However, the Lake Thun situation appears to be unique because of the high prevalence of fish affected and the broad variation of abnormal features. The causes of the frequent appearance of these gonadal alterations in whitefish from Lake Thun remain unclear.

• Members

Actually I've been bald since my mid twenties and

have never used shampoo since that time.

So the whole shampoo thing is something I find

very hard to to relate to.....

But I do feel very sorry for the fish.;)

• Members

This research is an example of a one shot case study design. Not very effective when considering other external factors.

To prove your/their hypotheses, a true experimental design is needed.

-plus i like the way my hair squeaks when its clean.

--And forget shampoo, what's conditioner all about?

• Members

Okay, I'll ask again. How would your glands know how much oil is in your hair or scalp? I don't see how they could. It makes no sense to me.

Biological feedback and adaptation. Under "normal" circumstances, these functions are built in. :cool:

Rick

• Members

You must think the human body is a pretty simple device.

It has nothing to do with whether or not I think the body is simple. It's about something on the outside of the skin or on the hair -which is dead, by the way- somehow sending a message to the sebaceous glands that they need to produce more sebum. I don't buy it, and as of yet nobody has explained any kind of process to back the claim up.

Stuff like this always piques the interest of people who are always looking the the 'natural way of doing things. Never mind whether or not there is any substantial proof to the claims, if it sounds natural and doesn't require the use the chemicals produced by.....I dunno....Big Shampoo, then it must by default be true. I don't believe that. If someone can show me different, I'll gladly get rid of my soaps.

• Members

If someone can show me different

I just showed you different - 400 people took part in an experiment and 80% returned a favourable result. What is unscientific about that??

Some of the participants who returned a negative said they hadn't given up as it can take a month or two for the hair to settle down in some cases.

Thanks for the verification Booshy - the idea actually came from an English MP who went treking and spent months in Sth America without shampoo. After a few weeks his hair settled down, he's never used shampoo since.

• Members

It's about something on the outside of the skin or on the hair -
which is dead, by the way
-

Hair is dead, but only a very fine layer of skin/epidermis is dead.

somehow sending a message to the sebaceous glands

No, I don't buy that, either - but it's not as simple as that. Your skin is an organ, and it's reactive to what's on the surface of it through various forms of stimuli, including the blockage of ducts, the rate of the sloughing off of dead cells, the sub-dermal relationship to the epidermis, and many other factors.

• Members

Don't know - I don't have journal access right now (if someone has university accesss to maybe Nature Neuroscience, maybe we can find out)

did a google quicky - there is one idea that viscosity and surface tension of sebum already deployed may create "backpressure" on the duct

http://www.springerlink.com/content/pv373302mt827067/fulltext.pdfhttp://www.springerlink.com/content/pv373302mt827067/fulltext.pdf

It might be a multiple-trigger thing, I'd suspect there maybe the some neurochem triggers (maybe stress activated?) that might be more systemic

[ like -- Rachal, the wife, used to be a researcher that studied how the immune system and the nervous system heavily interact. The causeative models can get really complex as there are all the intermodulating parameters]

After years of wearing white shirts b/c of my dandruff (and stress induced exema) I finally had a Thai barber tell me (just use vinegar like a conditioner)

lo and behold...works like a carm as makes the hair nice and shiney

Archived