Why Lakisha was voted off Idol.

• Members

Well being fat in America is the worst thing anyone can be.

Our society is so sick and programmed like robots that even true arts can be over come with weight.

I thought this girl had one of the best voice and I also believe her "weight" caused her votes!

Audioicon

• Members

4492c3b6-001a1-02fc1-400cb8e1

I agree that Reuben was a big guy but the point is people are more though on women with weight then men.

Back in the days you had the "Fat Boys" but never the Fat Girls.

In fact most guys with weight are called names like teddy bears and love bears but people are more hard on women. So to end I'll say it's different when you have a woman with weight issues on a program like AXE2 2001 says, pretends to be a singing contest.

Audioicon

• Members

Ever notice how the male winners of AI are all ... uh ... non-threatening? That is to say that a guy who would be a threat to go out after winning and sex up some young women won't ever win AI.

Ruben was a "nice guy" that women wouldn't be throwing panties at. The other guy on the last show with him seemed gay. Taylor was like an old man.

If Ruben was cut like LL Cool J he NEVER would have won... no matter how good he sang. None of the guys who women really drool over never make it real deep into the contest. Besides....

Anyone who thinks that AI is a talent show needs therapy. ;)

• Members

Just a reminder: shows air later in other parts of the country than they do on the east coast. Posting the results before they've aired elsewhere can spoil the show for others -- especially if the results are posted in the title of the thread as they were here.

Personally, it didn't bother me much that I found out here what happened before I watched the show tonight because I'm not a big AI fan this season; but it might have bothered others.

Something to consider anyway... ;)

As far as the topic is concerned, I think no one else comes close to Melinda Doolittle ... so it doesn't matter when they get voted off -- they're all going down!

Best,

Geoff

• Members

Oprah is pretty chunky, and has battled weight throughout her career, doesn't seem to have really hurt her popularity.

I don't watch AI, but from what I've read/heard, there have been many surprises along the way. Who was that metrosexual Indian guy that lasted weeks longer than anybody expected?

My guess is that this girl was just another victim of a fickle American audience.

Probably wouldn't hurt for her to mix in a salad every now and then though.

• Members

I think Jordin is going to be the winner, she is the only young, AI style candidate left... Melinda is great, but I think the young people tha vote on idol find her too old school... Blake is contemporary, but he really isn't that fantastic of a singer... They guy can sing, but he really is limited as far as genres go... All these people however, will get some kind of record deal after this show...

• Members

Lakisha was voted off because she could not sing the song she chose. It was obvious she changed the parts because she could not hold the long, changing note. She tried once last night and got half way through. Of the three girls left she was by far the worst singer. I thought she would be gone last week after having two bad weeks of performances, but obviouslly people prefer overweight to bug-eyed and bald.

Anyway, I am still pulling for Jordan, who is also very overweight by pop standards. Melenda boars me to death and I don't like Blake's voice. Jordan keeps getting better every time.

Any anyone who critisizes the publics vote based on looks, race or sex has not followed the show over the years. I feel a bit proud looking at the winners. Kelly always looked clumsy on stage but she can really sing. Women and minorities are well represented in the winner's circle. No one seems to care that Lakisha is overweight, Melenda has no neck, or Jordan is a bit overweight and comes from a mixed-race family. Of the final 5 this year only Blake qualifies as having "the look". Who else would give a nerd like Clay or a single mother like Fantasia a chance for stardom?

Robert

• Members

It was Lakisha's time to go..

This is totally different from losing Jen Hudson in the past(also overweight) or even different from losing Latoya & Tamyra Gray(couldn't garner a fan base). The honest truth is Lakisha couldn't hold a candle to those ladies!

Industry people have and will continue to build projects around those young ladies like television, movies, plays, and CD's, and people will pay to see those proects. I can't think of Lakisha generating that kind of industry noise. She just isn't of the same caliber. Not right now anyway.

• Members

Any anyone who critisizes the publics vote based on looks, race or sex has not followed the show over the years. I feel a bit proud looking at the winners. Kelly always looked clumsy on stage but she can really sing. Women and minorities are well represented in the winner's circle. No one seems to care that Lakisha is overweight, Melenda has no neck, or Jordan is a bit overweight and comes from a mixed-race family. Of the final 5 this year only Blake qualifies as having "the look". Who else would give a nerd like Clay or a single mother like Fantasia a chance for stardom?

Robert

I totally agree. Ive been pleasantly surprised at how little looks and/or race seem to have influenced the results. Clay, Rueben, Kelly, Fantasia arent exactly pop idol material from the perspective of looks. Ace was certainly playing on his cutsie factor and it did him no good. Same for Sanjaya.

• Members

Lakisha was voted off because she spent too much time posting here on SSS.

Yes I am busted. BUSSSS TED.

Well what would you do if you were Lakisha and had to sing like a BeeeeeeJeeeee Puhlease!!!

Speakin a please, please dont tell the idol producers as it say in the contract you cant write on the internet during the week a the show! It also say in the contract that jordin gonna win, melindas 50 years old, and the Pink performance was taped 2 years ago, and to keep all that hush hush.

• Members

It was Lakisha's time to go..

This is totally different from losing Jen Hudson in the past(also overweight) or even different from losing Latoya & Tamyra Gray(couldn't garner a fan base). The honest truth is Lakisha couldn't hold a candle to those ladies!

Industry people have and will continue to build projects around those young ladies like television, movies, plays, and CD's, and people will pay to see those proects. I can't think of Lakisha generating that kind of industry noise. She just isn't of the same caliber. Not right now anyway.

Agreed. Her weight is a non-issue, IMO. Plus, her song choice was horrible. She just isn't cut out to be the next AI.

LIFE GOES ON......

• Members

I wouldn't want to go far as saying anyone who thinks looks is not a huge factor in todays music needs therapy. But I wouldn't argue at all, especially in the pop/RnB and the others.Looks play a very crucial role.

Is Ruben still selling records? Come one, looks will not make you sound better but it definitely influence your sales and overall packaging as a musician.

Audioicon

• Members

Are we talking about selling records or are we talking about how the public votes for contestants on American Idol? The voting public for AI is much more tolerant than the marketing machine behind so many record companies.

• Members

I thought Lakisha had a great voice. Surprised she was booted off. But to be honest the only one's who did anything from this show was Kelly and Carrie. The rest kind of just faded. They all seem to sing the same songs with the same style and it's getting old. They should start their own band and write their own songs. To be honest if I was ever on AI, I would go as far as I could, keep my band at home and when I gained popularity I would push my band instead of singing those boring songs that other people write.

• Members

Is Ruben still selling records?

Yes. Reportedly not good ones. On his own record label. With 1/3 of his output being gospel music. Not the finest hitmaking recipe.

Lakisha was just #4 this week. Time to go. With thousands of auditioners, her success is more of a victory for weight-challenged females than a tragedy.

The overlooked issue here is...BeeGees? Really? :confused:

• Members

The overlooked issue here is...BeeGees? Really?
:confused:

Was anyone else shocked at how bad he sounded? About 15 seconds into the song I hit fast forward. He was cutting all of his notes short. To be honest, I watched last nights show in less than 10 minutes.

• Members

But to be honest the only one's who did anything from this show was Kelly and Carrie.

Well maybe in "Pop" music.

The reality is that Chris Daughtry is double platinum, and on rock radio everyday all-day across the US.

Jennifer Hudson was a lead in a hit movie, was featured in the lead song from the movie, won several major film awards including an Oscar, and has a multitude of future projects to choose from.

Fantasia had a hit album(2 million sold, 14 weeks at #1 Adult R&B charts), and is doing A Color Purple on broadway.

Tamyra Grey has been on several TV shows, and is cast as Mimi Marquez in a Broadway production of RENT later this year.

There out there, and there doing more than just singing. It's just that not everyone fits inside the standard industry pop genre's and formulas. :thu:

Archived