Is this another Fox News Channel propaganda?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think you can be a Michael Jackson "music" lover and not be a Bruce fan. I always say when I listen to Michael Jackson, I'm also listening to Bruce. But the media seem to spin everything as to get some attention out of it, just thought I share this article since it appeared as if they had spoken to the people they are mentioning.

AI

• CMS Author

Hey, business is business. And if it was in Bruce's contract to get "points" (royalties is really the wrong term here), then they're due to him. The fact that Jackson has well shielded his money means that he just has a good lawyer.

• Members

I seriously doubt any major news source would publish an article as directly as this one without a firm source. It would be way too risky for them, and it just would not be in their own best interest.

As we all know, businesses serve their own interests exclusively, and risking a lawsuit for this just wouldn't make financial sense for Fox News or any other major news service.

• Members

Oh come on....What interest would Fox have to concoct this story??

If it is propaganda how does it serve Fox's assumed political interests??

Its not about any liberal versus conservative approach to a political issue.

So, I dont understand the thought behind the title of the thread.

• Members

Oh come on....What interest would Fox have to concoct this story??

If it is propaganda how does it serve Fox's assumed political interests??

Its not about any liberal versus conservative approach to a political issue.

So, I dont understand the thought behind the title of the thread.

Okay, pick up the phone now and call Fox News, tell them you have a story about Michael Jackson and see what they'll say.

They like to spin things out of control and sweetened things up as to generate buzz. You don't know that?

Audioicon

• Members

Bruce and Jackson and Quincy have been around a long time. The structure of points contracts is usually pretty cut & dried and the artist isn't usually the guy sitting at a desk three days a week writing out royalty checks (well maybe Gene Simmons does, eternal entrepreneur that he is).

To me, it's interesting that the news story indicates the points deal was structured in a way where Bruce would get the $ directly from Jackson rather than as a series of checks directly from Jackson's record company or publishing company. Hence, Bruce keeps calling Jackson to cough up the $. Which indicates there was a contract for points, but to get paid, ya gotta call Mike rather than Sony.

If that's the structure, it's pretty weird.

• Members

Do engineers even get royalties? I thought they just get paid a set fee for their work.

Depends on the contract. But also remember that he may also be producing or co-producing. I don't have the credits in front of me, but that may be the case.

Again, I seriously doubt that any large news organization would fabricate a story like this, especially with direct quotes and the whole bit.

• Members

I talked to Bruce yesterday, although I didn't see this article until today, and we talked about other things as well, Bruce pretty much told me the same thing as the Fox story. It would be interesting to hear further coments from him about this, Quincy too.

Russ

Nashville

• Members

Yes I'd love to see the particulars of the contract and how they set it up.

It seems that Bruce has been artistically tied to Q moreso than Michael although working with both over the years. It also seems like Quincy's business relationship with Bruce may be deeper and goes back a little further. In that light, I wonder if Q set up some sort of points deal which included Bruce, but payable from Artist royalties, and not paid from an 'all in' or from producers royalty.

Do engineers even get royalties? I thought they just get paid a set fee for their work.

Not usually, although in some rare cases yes... but remember, Bruce has also produed for Michael, and producers do tend to get a percentage. :)

I can't imagine that the story is false or made up, but I have no "insider" information on that either way. They did know about Bruce's new book, so at least that part was accurate, which makes me think the rest of the article is legit.

• Members

that {censored}ing whacko.

There are a lot of people out there making hit music besides "YOU."

Just out of curiosity, have you met Michael Jackson? Do you know him? I'm just curious as to how people can carry so much hate for someone they don't even know. If Michael Jackson has the funds, I doubt he'll have trouble finding great producers/engineers. Don't forget there are hundreds of brilliant musicians out there, even out of the country.

As far as Michael and Bruce, I will not even comment on their relationship because I know nothing of it.

AI

• Members

Not usually, although in some rare cases yes... but remember, Bruce has also
produed
for Michael, and producers do tend to get a percentage.
:)

I can't imagine that the story is false or made up, but I have no "insider" information on that either way. They did know about Bruce's new book, so at least that part was accurate, which makes me think the rest of the article is legit.

While I'm not saying the entire story is false, I know how Fox News Channel operates. If you say 10 people died in a fire, they will say 20 people died in the fire. They are well known for twisting and bending or should I summed it up "Sensationalizing" stories.

But I wouldn't conclude that the whole story is fabrication but rather edited for the fox appeal.

Audioicon

• Members

MJ had apparently approached Dr. Dre, and Dr. Dre said no, saying that there was too much hassle involved.

Hey Ken I would be more concern if I was an artist and you refused to work with me then I would be with Dr. Dre.

I alway said this, if I was an artist looking for a great come back, I'll tap into fresh talents, there are guys sitting in the basement with their LE/Sonar/Cubase making great music. While I'm not saying Dr. Dre is not good, I personally think those talents are exhausted. Like the guy who made the song for Ciara.

AI

• Members

Bruce and Jackson and Quincy have been around a long time. The structure of points contracts is usually pretty cut & dried and the artist isn't usually the guy sitting at a desk three days a week writing out royalty checks (well maybe Gene Simmons does, eternal entrepreneur that he is).

To me, it's interesting that the news story indicates the points deal was structured in a way where Bruce would get the $ directly from Jackson rather than as a series of checks directly from Jackson's record company or publishing company. Hence, Bruce keeps calling Jackson to cough up the $. Which indicates there was a contract for points, but to get paid, ya gotta call Mike rather than Sony.

If that's the structure, it's pretty weird.

I totally agree and I'm not trying to say Michael is right or Bruce is wrong and will appreciate if anybody can explain to me. I don't know the specifics of their contract and so cannot say what happen.

But this is my question, if Michael Jackson belongs to a label, or lets say any other artist, why are the lawsuits or money owe the artist responsibility not the company. Say I signed to Blueberry Records and Phil does all the engineering and co-produced, Phil doesn't get paid, can phil come after me?

Does Michael Jackson really deals with the contracts and the books.

Why not go to the label.

I just trying to understand the music business so pardon my ignorance.

AI

• Members

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,271195,00.html

Whoa! :eek:

First the Anna Nicole thing, and now we're on to Bruce the viking!!!!

I'm just thrilled to be in on the ground floor of this one! I can say I knew him before the scandle. :thu:

All of the details are in my new tell-all book;

"If I Knew Bruce, This is What He Would Have Told Me About Michael Jackson"

I'm doing an interview on The O'Reilly Factor later on.:cool:

• Members

Hey Ken I would be more concern if I was an artist and you refused to work with me then I would be with Dr. Dre.

I alway said this, if I was an artist looking for a great come back, I'll tap into fresh talents, there are guys sitting in the basement with their LE/Sonar/Cubase making great music. While I'm not saying Dr. Dre is not good, I personally think those talents are exhausted. Like the guy who made the song for Ciara.

AI

Sure. But for whatever reason, MJ was interested in Dr. Dre. Personally, I would think that MJ might be interested in working with Timbaland, and was a little surprised at his people wooing Dr. Dre...but whatever. Dr. Dre would have done a great job producing him as well, had he chosen to do so.

• Members

I assume the story is true. As I said before, it is simply not in the best interest of a major news organization to fabricate it.

Assuming MJ screwed Bruce out of some money, I sure hope Bruce gets his money somehow.

Nevertheless, since I don't personally know Bruce or MJ, I hope they both can solve their differences. I think it is a shame that the possible implication is that Bruce and MJ don't collaborate again. They produced awesome stuff together, and I'd love to see them do it again.

Though unrelated, a lot of the hatred for MJ stems from his alleged inappropriate behavior with kids. I don't know what happened, but I think MJ is just a guy who never had a childhood. I really hope MJ gets back to creating great music for all our sake!

Archived