New DVD Protection : I don't understand

• Members

From CNN : LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- New technology designed to thwart DVD theft makes discs unplayable until they're activated at the cash register.

A chip smaller than the head of a pin is placed onto a DVD along with a thin coating that blocks a DVD player from reading critical information on the disc. At the register, the chip is activated and sends an electrical pulse through the coating, turning it clear and making the disc playable.

• Members

Ok, I just found their web site. It appears this "protection" is merely to prevent theft from the store, not copying. Good for the store, but useless for the Movie Industry. In the words of Emily Littella,.....Never mind.

• Members
who would steal a movie from the store? that's just silly.

do they not have an internet connection?

That's why I think this whole idea is a waste of time and money. Buying media (Movies/CD's/Games etc.) in a store is going bankrupt anyway more and more, and to sink money into this technology will probably speed up the the posting of the Closed sign.

• Members

Employees.

thats not part of their "benefits package"?

btw, last time i counted my DVD collection.... i was well over 400 titles. it was too depressing to think how much i spent on them so i quit counting. of course i do find a lot of movies i like in the $5-12 range. better than CD's. however, last DVD i bought was Hifana for $45 but was a DVD/CD import combo and really cool. i also just bought 'dazed and confused/fast times at ridgement high' double feature for $9.

• Members

Anymore, people aren't stealing discs to keep them; they can "return" them for the money to stores that are lax on their "returns only with a receipt" policy. In the case of employee theft, it's all too easy to "return" them w/o a receipt after the disc's been lifted. I guess this is a good idea to deter thieves who actually want to keep the disc; I just don't think that's very common anymore.

• Members

a lot of stores wont take back DVD's that have been opened... but if they are only returning them for the money [steal and return in the same step], then they would have to deter the security in place already, i think a magnet does it... and then with this type of system, i dont know how they would "re-arm" the DVD rendering that security measure useless.

Archived