Need advice, People mag is being lame

• Members

Okay, so here's the lowdown yo.

To make a long story shorter, Jessica Simpson grew up a couple streets over from where I live. My girlfriend was watching some old home videos, and during a dance recital J.S. came out and sang a song for about 4 minutes, some Whitney Houston song. We thought " Hey, maybe we can make money off of this video".

This was back in September. I was getting endless phone calls asking about the video, being that everyone wanted to see a clip. I probably had about 6 or 7 different groups wanting it like E!, TMZ.com, People magazine, Extra!, Star Magazine, Jay Leno, and Jimmy Kimmel. So, I converted the VHS tape to DVD, and sent about a 4 second clip for quality. People ended up being the highest bidder (which was still incredibly lower than the $4 million she apparently was paid by them for her kids pictures), so I started working out the deal. We would get money, and the rights to the video would revert back to us after a certain amount of time.

I burned a copy of the movie, when my girlfriend called. For whatever reason, her parents wanted to go ahead and take control over the deal with People. I guess it was okay, since it was technically their video. I had just done a ton of the work involved and hoped to go ahead and wrap it up. So they basically told me to hand over all the contact I've had with the guy from People, the DVD burned to my hard drive, whatever.

About 4 months later, I get a call from her mom asking if I have any idea when they are supposed to get payment. I didn't have any idea, so she asked if I could send an e-mail to the guy we dealed with. At first I wondered why the heck she would have me do it after she had went ahead and took over the project for herself, but about 5 minutes after I thought that I didn't care anymore, so I sent the letter.

The guy, we will call him Ira, told me that he was shokced we hadn't gotten payment yet, and said he would look into it. He claimed someone had dropped the ball on the way to the finance office, and we should get payment in 4 weeks (baha).

4 weeks roll by, and I send another e-mail. Ira begs for forgiveness and said some new group of people dropped the ball, and to give him more time. I say sure, because I frankly don't care about this issue anymore.

This goes on for some time. Everytime it doesn't show up in the time specified, I send him an e-mail asking what the deal was. I wanted to do more about the thing, but my girlfriends mom didn't. When we get up to 6 months, I finally send another e-mail. I did the whole "We trusted you, People didn't live up to their end of the deal, we don't want to have to get a lawyer" and etc. He acts like he's extremely disappointed wit hthe whole issue and said he's going to get on the people who "dropped the ball" this time. I tell him to just give me the phone number of the guy who keeps "dropping the ball", and he says its better off if I just deal through him. I asked how long its going to take this time, and he says 3 weeks, which I thought was bogus cause its been 7 months. I leave him with an "Alright 3 weeks" and hang up.

So, its been 3 weeks, 8 months since we worked out the deal. I talked to a lawyer friend who says he can send a letter to them for $80, but I dont think my girlfriends parents are up for that, being mega lame as they are.

What do I, or they, do?

• Members

Sounds like they are {censored}ing with you bro. You seemed to be doing allright with everything until your gf mom and dad took over. If I was you, I would tell her mother that "since you wanted total control over everything and are all about the money. You deal with this guy, here is the number, now leave me alone."

Did ya ever ask what they did with it. What the deal that was made was? Sucks man, you could have been rolling in cabbage right now. Tell her mom to get a lawyer and sue Ira until he {censored}ing bleeds.

• Members

Moral advice :

Send the Tape to Jessica Simpson,..tell her your girlfriend found it and thought she might like to have a vid of herself as a kid.

Then: Get a life: Get a job and work for your own money just like she did using your own talent instead of hers.

Use your brain and muscles to earn a living instead of vulging.

Booshy

• Members

Moral advice: Been tried. Before I even called up anyone. I have a friend who was signed by Joe Simpson until he wised up and left. Before he did though, I asked him to see if the Simpsons might want it, which they weren't. You actually think they care? Mr. Joe "My daughter has Double D's" Simpson wants a video of his daughter from high school to cherish?

Then: I already have a job and attend college. I build computers for the Make A Wish foundation, full time student in engineering at UTD on a full scholarship and $3,000 a year stipend, in two bands, and trying to learn how to record my own CDs.

What'd you do up to that point boosh? Smoke lots of weed and drink a lot? Seems like I'm at a better point than you were at that time. Nice attempt at making me feel bad, jackass.

• Members

Ethical advice: I'm with Boosh.

Legal Advice: I'm with Ides'O'March.

Since they (GF's parents) already gave away what they were trying to sell, it'd be a hell of a long shot that anyone outside of People will ever see a penny from it. But that's already the past, no point in worrying about it anymore....

• Members

What is vulging? It sounds like something Paris, Brittney and Lindsey were all caught doing by photographers. Or maybe that's what the photographers were doing.

Maybe I'm thinking of 'vulving'?

Anyhow... what is it?

• Members

Bill, you're right. How wrong of me to try and sell a video that people want for $2,000 so that my girlfriends mom can help pay for surgery from the scoliosis she's had since she was a kid, while her dad moved back to Japan to find a job.

Thank you for showing me the error of my ways. I've purchased a copy of your book.

• Members

I may just be a cat, but since you asked a practical question, I'll give a practical answer and save the pontificating for the guy in the white robe.

This sort of transaction should have been handled by a lawyer from the start. Since, short of folding the very fabric of time and space back on itself, that is now impossible, you should have a lawyer take over the process. $80 for a letter sounds kind of wierd to me. He should either do it for free or charge more than that. If you have confidence in the guy, offer $250 to clean up the mess, presuming it doesn't take more than [agreed upon number of hours of work]. Also, what is your deal with your girlfriend's parents? Did you agree on a cut for all your work?

Meow.

• Members

Gsus Christ Duddits,..........where in Cat's Heaven did you come from?

I thought they threw you away with the citty litter.

Welcome back Feline Friend.

You know, us cats, we come and go.

Good to see you Boosh!

meow.

• Members

Holy Fish Stranger,..

Did I just wrote a Haiku?

Or was it fishy?

I wonder where is fishy went, a fish, a fish, a fishy OOOOooooOOoh. And it went wherever I did gooooooooooooooo

Making cash off someone else's fames is invokes bad karma, and is therefore not worth the price potentially paid to you, not to mention the personal family turmoil it has/may bring about.

Archived