40v Phantom Power?

• Members

I'm sure there are more knowledgeable pros on this forum than myself (as I'm neither knowledgeable nor a pro), but I'm looking at a quality HD video cameras. Upgrading to HD ups the ante for the video quality, but stepping up the audio from 1/8 in to a phantom powered XLR is going to greatly improve location sound. However, the HD cameras we're looking at... one of them offers the standard 48v phantom power, but the top contender (the one we really want) outputs 40v phantom power-- we've checked and doublechecked the specs, but it really is 40v.

Now, I have never heard of 40v phantom power. Is this a deal-breaker for the camera? Will this power standard condenser mics? Will we be losing quality by using a lower voltage? Will we damage our gear?

If anyone has any info, I'd me much obliged. I'm totally in the dark on this one.

--eric

• Members

It is amazing the range of currant that mics pull. I was thinking of getting a Cad M179,based on good reviews. I was considering a Usb bus powered interface. Well I remember the reviewer pointed out that the Cad mic drew a lot of current. Well it actual draws 8 ma, which is twice the amount the interface can put out. I ended up getting a Cad gxl3000. It sounds fine but only pulls 3.5 ma. One of the lowest current drawing mics on the cheap side is the AT2020 rated at 2 ma. I have acutal run across people having their systems shut down because the used gear that wasn't macthing up.

• CMS Author

the top contender (the one we really want) outputs 40v phantom power-- we've checked and doublechecked the specs, but it really is 40v.

It could be a misprint (most likely) or they could actually be honest about it (less likely). You might try to contact the manufacturer, or go to a shop that has one and take your voltmeter with you.

There are a few mics that insist on getting the full 48V, but most will work on lower voltage, though sometimes with reduced headroom. Real 48V phoantom power that complies with the IEC specification is best, but if you can't afford the best, make sure that what you get will work with the mics you have or plan to use.

Archived