IRS troubles

• Members

So, the IRS has levied my bank account, contacted every place I ever worked that they have info on to try to get them to levy any monies due to me because they say I owe them 15K....Basically I had a band in 02, they say I didn't file and I know i did...well, I heard from them 5 years later when they siezed my bank account and everything in it...All my tax info and the 1099's I sent to my band members are in storage in the lower 48 and i'm in Alaska so I've tried to call the IRS to ask exactly what I need to refile to no avail....I can't get anyone to talk to me and let me explain my situation without them screaming at me to pay, or talking over me and not listening to me. I ask questions, they scream and threaten.....IF you think the Govt. THINK they are servents of the people like it's mandated in the US CONSTITITUION you are gravely mistaken...We are NOT living in the United States of American that is spelled out in our constitution....This is just {censored}ing unbelievable!! I don't even owe ANTHING from that year!!...They siezed my bank account with NO notice...No letter..NOTHING!! Just bewhere people because if their attact dogs set their sights on you it doesn't matter if you did anything wrong or not. There are many horror stories about IRS strong arm tactics...I have to fly down, get my tax stuff, refile, pay some penalties and put it behind me because if I don't do it, even though I don't owe them a cent they'll end up sending the Black Helicopters and the stormtroopers in to shoot me.

• Members

Is it possible you moved and the IRS notices went to an old address? Post Office won't forward IRS notices - by law they aren't supposed to be forwarded.

The IRS collection people are a different office from the IRS people who actually work on correcting accounts. The collection people are very single-minded and can be pretty jerky. You need to talk to someone else at the IRS besides the collection people.

If the IRS is acting the way you are describing, they are breaking their own laws and you have recourse. You can contact the Taxpayer Advocate Office if you can't get anywhere going through normal IRS channels. They can be very helpful with difficult situations. See this link for contact info:

http://www.irs.gov/advocate/article/0,,id=97402,00.html

nat whilk ii

• CMS Author

So they said you didn't file a tax return and you say you did. Did you contact them immediately and try to correct the error (whether it was theirs or yours)? Or did you just figure that you were right, they made a mistake, and it would all blow over?

If the IRS asks you a question or notifies you of what they think is a discrepancy, ANSWER THEM IMMEDIATELY!!!!! They lose stuff and make mistakes, too, it's just that they assume they're right until you prove they're wrong. It's not hard to do if you're really right, and they're pretty reasonable as long as you take care of business and don't try to hide or ignore them. Once they think you MIGHT really be guilty, they'll be on your back until they find something you're guilty of.

Sorry you're in trouble now. Maybe you'll have better luck after you get out of jail. You might still be able to straighten things out, but it will be a lot harder five years after the fact. The first thing they'll want to know is why you didn't respond earlier, and you'd better have a good answer.

• Members

So they said you didn't file a tax return and you say you did. Did you contact them immediately and try to correct the error (whether it was theirs or yours)? Or did you just figure that you were right, they made a mistake, and it would all blow over?

If the IRS asks you a question or notifies you of what they think is a discrepancy, ANSWER THEM IMMEDIATELY!!!!! They lose stuff and make mistakes, too, it's just that they assume they're right until you prove they're wrong. It's not hard to do if you're really right, and they're pretty reasonable as long as you take care of business and don't try to hide or ignore them. Once they think you MIGHT really be guilty, they'll be on your back until they find something you're guilty of.

Sorry you're in trouble now. Maybe you'll have better luck after you get out of jail. You might still be able to straighten things out, but it will be a lot harder five years after the fact. The first thing they'll want to know is why you didn't respond earlier, and you'd better have a good answer.

Jail??? THEY NEVER NOTIFIED ME OF ANY {censored}ING PROBLEM BRO!!!! READ MY POST BEFORE YOU RESPOND IN A CONDESCENDING TONE...They just siezed my account and I went to the IRS office in Anchorage, gave them all my information and I got a letter...I called them to try to straighten things out, find out what I needed to get them etc and the collections people just lit into me...here we stand..i'm going to contact the taxpayer advocate as suggested above.

• Members

I'd also suggest, if you can afford it at all, that you get a professional tax advisor to represent you before the IRS. A CPA or attorney or, if the person comes highly recommended, an EA (enrolled agent, someone who used to work for the IRS but has gone out on their own as a tax preparer).

Once you have someone set up to represent you, the IRS will call them and will not contact you directly (unless you blow the deal by contacting them yourself).

If nothing else, having a representative means a LOT more peace of mind for you, plus, if they are good, they can keep you from making unintentional mistakes in what you say and how you deal with the IRS people. Especially if you are upset and p.o.'d at the IRS -

If you don't

1. know the IRS rules

2. know the Tax Code

3. know how the IRS is structured

4. know the procedural scheme the IRS uses in disputes

You need a pro to represent you.

nat whilk ii

• Members

I had a very positive experience with them this year. I filed a year late due to a divorce, spousal support, confusion, etc. I called them, talked to someone in under 5 minutes, had them walk me through what to do, and then asked to be forwarded to the legal department for some specific questions, which were answered. I owed some money, we worked it out on the phone, and what I owed came off my refund I filed. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised. Your situation has gone beyond that, but, I really think, their goal is to get what it owed. Get a CPA or tax attorney to get your funds unfrozen so you can live, and work it out. They want their money, and can't get it if you can't work. I guess the key thing is, try to get calm and do some careful, objective reading, and get some outside, pro advice. Hopefully, things will shake out well for you...If not, look at it as an educational experience.

• Members

Thanks Dean...I know how to handle it if I could only get in touch with someone who wants to work it out. I now understand that I was speaking to collections and they were acting like the assholes they are supposed to although I still disagree with the way I was treated. This should be easy to work out because I truly do not owe them money. I will go down to the office in Anchorage and find someone who actually wants to help me work it out. Thanks.

• CMS Author

Jail??? THEY NEVER NOTIFIED ME OF ANY {censored}ING PROBLEM BRO!!!! READ MY POST BEFORE YOU RESPOND IN A CONDESCENDING TONE...

It certainly sounds to me like you were in big trouble. I'd certainly consider it big trouble if they tried to sieze all of my income sources.

My advice stands - if there's any discrepancy, deal with it immediately. Don't wait for them to try to take your money. But if you responded to them like you responded to me, I'm not surprised that they decided to take direct action.

• Members

i would find a lawyer with this happening... its a little above notices now. i had some noticed for not filing a few years back that i FILED, twice now. two different years. the state lost a different year of mine and then last year [reminding me i need to call my accountant] decided my kids were no longer deductions.

fortunately i got everything straightened out, but spoke to an ILL IRS person on the phone in the process who was anything less than helpful, much to the dismay of my accountant. i ended up giving him legal access to represent me to straighten things out because i couldnt believe how ill i was treated by the rep [didnt get her name/id, but now i get them on every call after and in the future], and its NOT appropriate for them to treat anyone in that manner.

but get a lawyer.

• Members

I feel your pain. I hate the IRS. Just filling out my 1040 makes me ill. I got the shingles from the stress this year and I still havent gotten over them. I cannot believe how much money they steal from us hard working people so the politicians can go and waste it on political junkets and worthless programs. I've gotten dozens of letters from them over the years telling me to pay this and file that. I guess they even have to keep you under their thumb up in Alasksa. I had serious thought about taking refuge up there from them, but they are impossible to get away from.

• Members

I feel your pain. I hate the IRS. Just filling out my 1040 makes me ill. I got the shingles from the stress this year and I still havent gotten over them. I cannot believe how much money they steal from us hard working people so the politicians can go and waste it on political junkets and worthless programs. I've gotten dozens of letters from them over the years telling me to pay this and file that. I guess they even have to keep you under their thumb up in Alasksa. I had serious thought about taking refuge up there from them, but they are impossible to get away from.

You can't escape them unless you flee the country which i'm sure someday I will do....

Oh yea, Halljams, i've seen that movie, know all about it and am totally down with it....Still can't fight the mafia alone....must pay.

• Members

You can't escape them unless you flee the country which i'm sure someday I will do....

Oh yea, Halljams, i've seen that movie, know all about it and am totally down with it....Still can't fight the mafia alone....must pay.

Then it is quite clear you should move over to the Yukon, at least call me and we'll go fishing.

Good luck with that {censored}.:wave:

• Members

One thing I've learn about the U.S.A is that you have to put everything in writing! When dealing with the IRS, put everything in writing, communication, disputes, settlements and so on.

Never leave it at a phone conversation.

Audioicon

• Members

It certainly sounds to me like you were in big trouble. I'd certainly consider it big trouble if they tried to sieze all of my income sources.

My advice stands - if there's any discrepancy, deal with it immediately. Don't wait for them to try to take your money. But if you responded to them like you responded to me, I'm not surprised that they decided to take direct action.

Hey Mike, the guy is just frustrated. What's worse then the IRS? Divorce/Alimony /Child Support representatives. But you are right, anger will not help the situation.

Audioicon

• Members

So, the IRS has levied my bank account, contacted every place I ever worked that they have info on to try to get them to levy any monies due to me because they say I owe them 15K....Basically I had a band in 02, they say I didn't file and I know i did...well, I heard from them 5 years later when they siezed my bank account and everything in it...All my tax info and the 1099's I sent to my band members are in storage in the lower 48 and i'm in Alaska so I've tried to call the IRS to ask exactly what I need to refile to no avail....I can't get anyone to talk to me and let me explain my situation without them screaming at me to pay, or talking over me and not listening to me. I ask questions, they scream and threaten.....IF you think the Govt. THINK they are servents of the people like it's mandated in the US CONSTITITUION you are gravely mistaken...We are NOT living in the United States of American that is spelled out in our constitution....This is just {censored}ing unbelievable!! I don't even owe ANTHING from that year!!...They siezed my bank account with NO notice...No letter..NOTHING!! Just bewhere people because if their attact dogs set their sights on you it doesn't matter if you did anything wrong or not. There are many horror stories about IRS strong arm tactics...I have to fly down, get my tax stuff, refile, pay some penalties and put it behind me because if I don't do it, even though I don't owe them a cent they'll end up sending the Black Helicopters and the stormtroopers in to shoot me.

Welcome to the machine.

• Members

I'd just leave the country and renounce my citizenship.

I have been thinking of getting out of this BS country and the Gestapo IRS that dictates our very lives. I am considering moving to Belize.

The IRS sucks!!! They aren't even constitutionally legal. There is no law that our wages have to be taxed. It is voluntary. Just watch America: Freedom to Fascism and find out the truth. It is a film by Aaron Russo who produced Trading Places with Murphy and Ackroyd and The Rose with Bett Midler. It exposes the IRS and the Federal Reserve.

Here is the link:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1656880303867390173

Also, listen to my song about the FairTax. Listen to the Revised lyric version:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=444954

• Members

The problem with the old 'the IRS is illegal' thing is, the people who have the authority to enforce the law ARE the law. The argument may be valid, but I would not bet jail time on it.

Exactly....Many of us know the deal but it's like the Mafia.....You pay or you PAY!...I'm making WAY too much on the books these days so I file...I certainly filed the year they say I didn't because the band made too much cash to hide..: I'm working it out...Let this post be a warning..IF you watched Freedom to Fascism you know they do not have to have a valid reason for coming in, ruining your business, personal credit, jailing you...Taking everything you have...But we who are in the know understand how wrong that is and how contrary to the basic principals on which this country was founded those tactics are. Government SHOULD FEAR the people..NOT the other way around..What we have now is called Tierany.....Plane and simple.

• Members

Exactly....Many of us know the deal but it's like the Mafia.....You pay or you PAY!...I'm making WAY too much on the books these days so I file...I certainly filed the year they say I didn't because the band made too much cash to hide..: I'm working it out...Let this post be a warning..IF you watched Freedom to Fascism you know they do not have to have a valid reason for coming in, ruining your business, personal credit, jailing you...Taking everything you have...But we who are in the know understand how wrong that is and how contrary to the basic principals on which this country was founded those tactics are. Government SHOULD FEAR the people..NOT the other way around..What we have now is called Tierany.....Plane and simple.

Typically what gets you into trouble is when you take all kinds of deductions on things like music , horses, airplanes,,, they are the classic hobby type business deals. I would guess any racing activity in addition to a day job would also be a real red flag .... The IRS loves to dig into those when they see them on a tax form. rat

• Members

i tried talking my accountant into writing off my dog since he protected my workplace... he wouldnt let me do it. vet bills, food, the works. he said only if i had him TRAINED and bought specifically for guarding could i do it. im like WTF?!? oh well.

Archived