Do Dogs Still Chase Cars???

• Members

I'm thinkin' it's leash laws.

When leash laws first came to my old town, many decades ago, I was incensed.

But over the years I saw a lot fewer dog carcasses in the roads and streets.

Eventually I even got to a point where I'll call the animal control for a stray -- since it's likely to be killed if it wanders through my urban city -- and since the shelter is the first place dog owners look for their strayed animals these days in my town.

But like a lot of kids who grew up on old movies, it took a long evolution of thought to get to the point where I could call "the dogcatcher."

• Members

Most people have their dogs fenced in these days. Probably cause of local ordinances. I remember when all the dogs use to meet the mail man at the corner to get their treats. When they would have a sub the guy would never know to give the dogs treats so they would follow the poor sap around the hood all day long.

• Members

Stupid question, but I was just wondering.

Seems to me they don't do it anymore??? When I was a kid most all dogs chased cars. Just one of the things I was thinking about.

Russ

Nashville

Funny, that's something that had almost completely escaped my mind, but when I read the thread title, I thought "Wow! That's right! I haven't seen that happen in years."

D'yer think dogs are evolving?:eek:

• Members

Funny, that's something that had almost completely escaped my mind, but when I read the thread title, I thought "Wow! That's right! I haven't seen that happen in years."

D'yer think dogs are evolving?
:eek:

Given the timespan, I think it's more likely that cars and fuel have been evolving. I seem to recall that dogs stopped chasing cars around the time that Chrysler introduced the K car :-)

best,

john

• Members

Good point. That car certainly took the fun out of driving, so it stands to reason that it took the fun out of chasing.

Either that, or the memo finally got circulated, from butt to butt, that "cars aren't worth your time chasing. Better to chew something."

YES

At least in Mexico. They are the same. Angel, my keyboardist, enjoys when they approach to a car, and then he suddenly gets his head through the window and barks back to them :freak::D ...

Once, I was driving very slowly and that dog was running at my pace. Clearly, he was barking to my side's mirror.

Then, he jumped -I presume, to bite it- :eek: ... and half of his body got inside of my car, through my window !!! ... I was a little bit scared but once I saw the face of the even more surprised and horrified dog, I was laughing like crazy.

Had to stop the car and let the surprised car-chaser go.

I guess He finally realized what was it all about... or not !

:D

• Members

My neighbors at the end of the street have a dog that is a car chaser. When they first moved in the dog ran freely outdoors; but due to city ordinances, they put him on a long leash. Even on a leash, the dog will charge the cars and nearly give himself whiplash when he reaches the end of his chain. Silly thing! :D

• Members

Cars used to have shiny chrome plated hub caps.

The dogs used to chase their reflection in the hub cap,

possibly believing it was another dog invading their territory.

Now, most hub caps are dull grey anodized alloy or even plastic.

No reflection...no threat to the local dog ..... no chasing.

Besides ... they're all half dead from that crap poison dog food

their owners have been feeding them.;)

• Members

Sad to say, but watching a dog clothesline himself on his own leash is one of the funnier things in life. I guess I get that from the old Foghorn Leghorn cartoons.

Gus: Sounds like your little episode would have been a good time to have power windows. :D

• Members

Cars used to have shiny chrome plated hub caps.

The dogs used to chase their reflection in the hub cap,

I'll bet that's it !!!

That or I don't think gas smells as good as it used too???

Russ

Nashville

• Members

Sad to say, but watching a dog clothesline himself on his own leash is one of the funnier things in life. I guess I get that from the old Foghorn Leghorn cartoons.

It is pretty comical watching the silly mutt down the street trying to defy the limits of his leash. He looks like a mixed breed between a cocker spaniel and a chihuahua; a solid black shaggy little mutt that's just as cute as a button.

• Members

Some dogs have herding instincts, some don't. Our Old English Sheepdog (now gone) would try to break towards passing cars when out on a walk. OES are herding dogs and he would want to herd everything that moved: cars, bicycles, etc. Our current dog, a Bernese Mountain Dog, could care less about moving objects.

There's a border collie in our neighborhood at a house with an Invisible Fence around their yard. He tears back and forth across the front yard at anything that goes by his house.

• Members

Stupid question, but I was just wondering.

Seems to me they don't do it anymore??? When I was a kid most all dogs chased cars. Just one of the things I was thinking about.

Russ

Nashville

It's just the miracle of natural selection! It took roughly 100 years for Darwin to fix this one - but, it's nearly done. Thanks to the laws of physics - impact trauma has slowly but steadily prevents those dogs stupid enough to chase 2500 pound metal monsters down a streeet filled with 2500 pound metal monsters from breeding. There are of course a few "slow learners" in the canine kingdom....however those tend to disappear relatively quickly since road kill doesn't keep all that well.

• Members

Nothing like the good ole Cheech and Chong records....

Ralph & Herbie

Hey man, let's go chase some cars

Yeah man, get high on the fumes

"Hey, waittaminit, man, I gotta drop a stool."

"Huh?"

"I gotta pinch a loaf."

"What?"

"I GOTTA TAKE A DOO-DOO, ALRIGHT?"

"Oh. Yeah, man. Why dint you just say so, mannn?"

• Members

"Hey, waittaminit, man, I gotta drop a stool."

"Huh?"

"I gotta pinch a loaf."

"What?"

"I GOTTA TAKE A DOO-DOO, ALRIGHT?"

"Oh. Yeah, man. Why dint you just say so, mannn?"

Cheech: What's in this {censored} man?

Chong: Its mostly Maui Wowie man, but its got some Labrador in it.

Cheech: what's Labrador

Chong: Its dog {censored}.

Cheech: What?

Chong: My dog ate my stash man,I had it on the table and the little mother

ate it man.

Cheech: Yeah?

Chong: So I had to follow him around with a little baggie for 3 days before

I got it back, really blew the dogs mind man.

Cheech: You mean we're smoking dog {censored} man

Chong: I think its even better than before, you know

Cheech: man I wonder what Great Dane tastes like.

.... and then later they smoked that stool :D:eek::p

• Members

Good point. That car certainly took the fun out of driving,...

I don't know. I had one that me and the wife got for $900. I drove that thing for over seven years. I had almost 120,000 miles on it when the junk guys picked it up. It still started and ran fine the day it left. (Brakes were shot and needed $800 worth of brake work. Not worth it...)

Anyway, if you knew all the mayhem me and my associates managed in that car. It was anything but "taking the fun out of driving".

At 70 mph (on the freeway) the car would start to shake and vibrate like it was going to come unglued. Once you hit 80, it would level back out. I think I actually made it do like 105mph going downhill!

Ever play shopping cart gallery in the grocery parking lot? With your k-car?

That thing had a choke/carb problem. It would idle at like 4,500 rpm. I never bothered fixing it and it did that for years. I think that's what made it last so long.

It was a lemon for sure. Never cracked the head. The only k-car I ever knew that didn't crack the head at 70 thousand miles.

I recorded a demo in that car. Going down the road. I still miss her and hated to see her go. :(

Archived