Melinda voted out? WHAT?

• Members

Okay, here's the deal. When this season of American Idol started, there were no good candidates and the competition was desperate to find someone who could actually sing. The judges got together and knew of Melinda from her backup singer days, so even though she was a professional singer, they approached her and made a deal that they'd let her get all the way to next-to-finals show if she would then bow out gracefully (with a record contract to sweeten the deal). She thought about it, and realized that the exposure -- followed by the subsequent outrage of her being voted off -- would give her career a serious bump...particularly important because she's older than the others.

So now you know the story :)

• Members

Apparently the general public doesn't know a great singer when she's right in front of them.
:(

Very sad.

When has the general public who sits in front of the tv all day and night ever been smart about anything?

• Members

Okay, here's the deal. When this season of American Idol started, there were no good candidates and the competition was desperate to find someone who could actually sing. The judges got together and knew of Melinda from her backup singer days, so even though she was a professional singer, they approached her and made a deal that they'd let her get all the way to next-to-finals show if she would then bow out gracefully (with a record contract to sweeten the deal). She thought about it, and realized that the exposure -- followed by the subsequent outrage of her being voted off -- would give her career a serious bump...particularly important because she's older than the others.

So now you know the story
:)

This man speaks the truth! :cry:

• Members

Well, I voted for Jordan. I've said all along that Melinda is a bit more perfect in her delivery but I find her boring. Jordan is the more passionate singer. After seeing the clips of Blake being cheered by groups of frenzied little girls it is no wonder he made it into the final.

Jordan and Melinda will both have nice careers. Even if Blake wins he will probably follow the path of Tailor Hicks.

• Members

Ok, cause the post previously makes sense about Melinda being voted off because she was the one who should win. Jordan is good but too young and may fall the way of not being able to handle fame. Either way if Melinda gets a deal than good for her. She deserves it.

• Members

what the hell are you all talking about? that show still on TV?

Y'know, that's exactly what I think when I see one of these threads.

And then I think... and, damn, like a freeway wreck, all these people who seem like they ought to know better have to slow down and look, anyhow...

;)

• Members

There's an artistic reason why Melinda was voted out, but I'LL NEVER TELL YOU WHAT IT IS!!!!!!!!

Am I the only one who actually finds G-bus's recurring "there's an artistic reason..."-interludes very amusing? I really do. Let me guess, is this a tribute to Bruce?:D

• Members

what the hell are you all talking about? that show still on TV?

Yes, I'm pretty sure it's number 1 in the ratings for all demographics. It owns its time slot, so it's the kind of thing that whether you're interested or not, it's become a Cultural Phenomenon and while you can try to ignore, it even infiltrates the hallowed halls of SSS :)

The larger picture is that it's actual live music, sung by people in real time without lip syncing, and they have the equivalent of an A&R guy making critiques. It may not be much us music industry types have on national TV, but it's all we've got...and if it gets people frenzied about music, that's good with me.

• Members

I watch, but i'm not fanatic about it. Heck, it's about people performing and it's fun to listen to what the band does with the songs they are given. I'm not suprised about Melinda leaving. Good singer... yes, Idol?? not really. It's probably better for her career that she left as she did.

• Members

I can't believe people still watch this crap and take it seriously.

Don't you know everything on TV is rigged?
;)

I think if you check into it deeper, you'll find that the singers are real people, attracting real fans, and creating a real future for themselves in the music biz. You have a problem with that???

Steve

• Members

Yes, I'm pretty sure it's number 1 in the ratings for all demographics. It owns its time slot, so it's the kind of thing that whether you're interested or not, it's become a Cultural Phenomenon and while you can try to ignore, it even infiltrates the hallowed halls of SSS
:)

The larger picture is that it's actual live music, sung by people in real time without lip syncing, and they have the equivalent of an A&R guy making critiques. It may not be much us music industry types have on national TV, but it's all we've got...and if it gets people frenzied about music, that's good with me.

not for my demographic... all seems a little encompassing, none of my friends watch it. i have no clue as to the peoples names you are even talking about. its pathetic it has "infiltrated the halls of SSS" IMO...

live music eh? where is the band? isnt it just some person singing karaoke? i guess karaoke bars is real music now? and A&R guys? since when does their opinion matter in music anymore, the music industry is crumbling because of these so called A&R people.

if this is all you have, its time to rethink everything.

• Members

It's clear you hate it Alpha, but it seems your hate is a bit strong for something you don't watch. I mean, I don't sit down and watch it (haven't in ages) and even I know there's a band from the clips on the news. I don't much care for the show, but I can see why there is interest in it. It's funny how people complain about the lack of good singers these days and when a program on television, however contrived, showcases some, it gets blasted.

And it is hard to ignore. Lost is one of the only things I regularly watch on TV and it had to move it's time slot to stay out of AI's way. Again, I don't watch it now, but I did the first year. I don't care for it, but I don't mind it being around.

I wonder if this same degree of hate was leveled at Star Search...

Peace

• Members

... live music eh? where is the band? isnt it just some person singing karaoke? i guess karaoke bars is real music now? ...

Guessing you have never seen the show or you would know there is a really good live band backing the singers. How can someone build so much hatred towards something they have no contact with? If you don't watch it why does it bother you so much? Seriouslly? It is strange enough that shows can create so much emotion for an audience, but for someone that has never watched? I find that quite amazing.

Folks, I'm not a big AI fan. I actually very rarely ever watch it - partially because the starting phases remind me too much of people at work - ask any studio owner and they'll tell you that yes, there really are that many self-delusional "singers" out there. ;)

But my wife and daughter (both of whom are world class singers - really :) ) like to watch it, so I see it occasionally when I come in after a session. And this year, I caught part of maybe three or four shows. To me, listening to Melinda was like watching a soulful pro who somehow showed up at an amateur open mic night. To me, her performances and voice were night and day, head and shoulders above her competition.

I realize that after the initial stages, it's a popularity contest, and it's the viewer's votes that determine who stays and who gets the boot. But I had hoped that the really gifted singer would prevail. She didn't, and I found that rather sad.

I guess image and look is more important than musical substance to many people. I don't know why that should surprise me, but it did.

The good news is that she's bound to get a significant career boost out of this, and I imagine she'll still be doing what she loves to do long after the other two kids have dropped off the radar. Good for her if that indeed comes to pass. :)

• Members

I guess image and look is more important than musical substance to many people. I don't know why that should surprise me, but it did.

I posted the exact thing when Lakisha was voted off. Whose voting for Blake?

Well I'll tell you, the little high school kids with their parents picking up the bills and the text freaks. Malinda does not fit the definition of "HOT" the most valuable aspect of a human being in America.

When a show is a singing competition, you'll think people with the best voices/singing abilities will win but not in todays pop world.

You have to have a flat tummy, a plastic shaped nose. Since Malinda doesn't seem to fit the American description of beautiful, meaning "HOT" and may likely not get "almost naked on a CD/Magazine cover, it cost her.

I know for sure, she'll have a wonderful lasting career then the beat box guy.

People act like they have never seen someone beat box on a track, wow, Timberland does it all the time, the Fat Boys did it years ago, what about Dog E. Fresh? Blake being creative, what a joke.

I know some people are not going to agree and thats fine but it's all around.

Audioicon

Archived