Ultrasone PROline phones

temnov

• Members

After brutal :mad: discussion regarding NI I think it's time to talk about some hardware as well. In a good way, I hope.

I bought those phones because my only time to make music is often in the evening. And I was stunned. Before I'll start singing sweet song how good they are I want to ask you guys several questions:

1. Have you tried the Ultrasone brand and do you beleive that they are really unique and exceptional?

2. Is there any difference for you in listening your mixes in Ultrasone with their patented S-Logic

• Members

I have a pair of the Ultrasone proline 550. I do notice quite a difference between them and other phones and to be honest I find them to be a little hard to get used to. I wish I would have gone with either the 650 or 750 because of the increased frequency range. I also find them heavy and in the long run uncomfortable to wear. That being said, I do find their sound image interesting, It's the closest headphone experience that compares to listening to speakers in a room.

I have tried mixing with them and again I find myself going back to my Sennheiser HD580. I think it may be because I've used them for so long that I know what adjustments I have to make for their color. The ultrasones also seem to make me place things in the stereo field differently than the Sennheisers.

My favorite use for the ultrasones is late night tracking. Especially Acoustic guitar. There's no bleed and the individual instrument sounds great in them.

Live Sound forum moderator Gearmike brought over two pairs of Ultrasone headphones last year, and honestly, I wasn't that impressed. I thought they were pretty darned bright, and had a significant "hole" in the midrange. I don't recall exactly which models they were; I'll have to ask Mike.... and not to speak for him, but IIRC, he was a bit disappointed too.

I wanted to like them, but they just didn't do it for me. YMMV of course. :)

• Members

Frantaq, Phil, thanks for comments.

Mine are Proline 750.

It's the closest headphone experience that compares to listening to speakers in a room.

I totally agree with that, it was my first impression.

I also agree that you have to adjust to them as they are an unusual breed. And also I found them almost flat, with even mid-high and almost "real-feel" lows. When I tried the sample CD that goes with the phones I had an impression that I'm in the real room listening to speakers with the subwoofer on. The same feeling had my friend, who is a complete gearhead.

So, again it's my personal impression. For now it gives me an option to work anytime I want or need to.

• Members

I have a ProLine 750 and love it, use it all the time. Yes, they do take some getting used to, but the clarity is outstanding. They're my first call for doing complex edits as I can hear every little transient that didn't get crossfaded properly, along with the most minute levels of noise and other details.

I also use them as a reality check for mixing. I can see where some might find them tough to listen to, but I'm with you - I use other headphones, but the 750s get the call 85% of the time.

• Moderators

I don't own a pair but I tried a pair 2 years ago at NAMM, the year they came out. I spent a good 20 minutes at their booth talking with the US distributer. I don't recall which model is which but it took 3 different models to finally get the pair where I thought, "Wow, that's nice". Less exciting but more realistic.

The whole concept of directing the sound to the pinna as opposed to funneling it down our ears is a good one. I am a long time 7506 user but at least once a month I think, "I need to spring for the Ultrsones".

It's been a long while since I heard them but my impression then was, "Wow, I think I could actually mix in these".

• Members

Yeah, but that also means you can replace them easily, and the cable won't rip the crap out of the phones if it snags on something!

Alas, we live in a conditioned world of opposites, always there are the Pro's and Cons !!

:)

Archived