HEARING LOSS??? - Not Me!!!

• Members

HEARING LOSS??? - Not Me!!!

For all of my career I have been VERY careful about not listening too loud for extended periods. I am appalled at how many young people in this industry monitor at excessively high speaker levels. I use my Auratones about 50% of the day in the studio. I think that helps too...

Here are the standard monitoring settings that I use for all my sessions. To set these values I normally use my Simpson [Type 2] SPL Meter. Or a Radio-Shack Sound Level Meter Catalogue #33-2050....

A-Mid-field monitoring - > Westlake Audio Lc3W-12s....

(Placed on top of meter over-bridge of mixing desk.)

1- To adjust the Westlake speakers for an SPL level of approximately 93 SPL -(Sound Pressure Level).

a-Set SPL meter.

1-'A' scale(OSHA).

2-speed-'slow'(OSHA).

3-range-90.

b-Play wide-range complex program material.

1-Set playback for +3 buss peaks on VU scale.

2-Observe SPL results. (+3 buss peaks = 93 SPL peaks)

c-Make mark on monitor level control.....

Note: This will result in a good loud level for mixing Popular music. It can be used for a total listening time of 4 hours of mixing per day. When I mix at this level for 2 and 1/2 hours and then take a 30 minute break, I don

• Members

Man, I blew my ears out yesterday. The drummer before me likes her monitor level loud....I mean really really loud. I could not believe it. I'm on the kit behind a plexiglass shield. We got into rehearsing the first tune, and the monitor was distorting so badly. By the middle of the tune I could feel my hi-end leaving and everything starting to sound low and muffled. We got through the tune and I said; "this is ridiculous! Turn this thing way down!" Then I went and got some earplugs, but my hearing didn't recover from that blast for at least another 8 hours.

• Members

I was reading a notorious post somewere on the net about recording rock guitar and the author recommended sticking your ear right into a 4x12 to find the best speaker to mic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also as in the post above , drums and cymbals are the worst because of the spl and fast transients!!! You ears have built in limiting and can cut the response to somthing like 30 db less if they have the time to adjust ( slower attacks)

The worst part about damaging your hearing is that you are still susceptble to further loud caused damage ... you don't build up any imunity or toughen up like a callous ; you just can't hear soft sound any more :mad:

• Members

Hey Bruce, that's too good not to spread around a bit. Mind if I run what you wrote in EQ's "punch-in" section? With attribution, of course:) Hell, I'll even throw in a plug for your book!

Great idea Craig, I was just thinking through sips of my coffee, that I wish Bruce had the opportunity to make a TV ad telling young people about hearing loss and to turn the volume down!

Do some musicians understand that the Human Ear is the most important "gear" they'll ever have.

Audioicon

• Members

Great idea Craig, I was just thinking through sips of my coffee, that I wish Bruce had the opportunity to make a TV ad telling young people about hearing loss and to turn the volume down!

Do some musicians understand that the Human Ear is the most important "gear" they'll ever have.

Audioicon

Hey ,that would be a great idea! I know how important it is to protect your ears...recently started a thgread about it myself as a reminder.

About the most important gear,....hmmm I have more important gear attached to my body I'm very pleased with , not only my ears ;)

• Members

Hey Bruce, that's too good not to spread around a bit. Mind if I run what you wrote in EQ's "punch-in" section? With attribution, of course:) Hell, I'll even throw in a plug for your book!

Craig.....

Please do....

It's a highly overlooked subject...

Bruce

• Members

Hey Bruce, here's the edited version. I was going to send this in an email, but I thought that a) some of the SSSers might find the difference between an edited and unedited manuscript interesting, and b) if I misinterpreted anything you said, then someone else might have as well.

Once you sign off on this, I'll consider it good to go...thanks!!!

-------------------------------------

HOW TO SAVE YOUR HEARING

By Bruce Swedien

Throughout my career, I have been very careful about not listening too loud for extended periods. I am appalled at how many people in this industry monitor at excessively high speaker levels. (I use my smaller Auratone speakers about 50% of the day in the studio . . . I think that helps too.)

Here are the standard monitoring settings that I use for all my sessions, with specifics for two types of situations. To set these values I normally use a Simpson [Type 2] SPL Meter, but you can also use a Radio Shack Sound Level Meter, catalog #33-2050.

MID-FIELD MONITORING (WITH WESTLAKE AUDIO LC3W-12S)

For this, I placed the speakers on top of the meter over-bridge of the mixing console. To adjust the Westlake speakers for an SPL level of approximately 93 SPL (Sound Pressure Level):

1. Set SPL meter to 'A' scale (OSHA), speed = slow (OSHA), and range = 90.

2. Play wide-range complex program material.

3. Set playback for +3 bus peaks on VU scale.

4. Observe SPL results (+3 buss peaks = 93 SPL peaks).

5. Mark your monitor level control for this setting.

This results in a good, loud level for mixing popular music that can be used for a total listening time of 4 hours of mixing per day. When I mix at this level for 2-1/2 hours and then take a 30 minute break, I don

• Members

I haven't developed any hearing loss yet I spent hours in studios with loud bands and loud monitors.

I think that in an engineer's position you can anticipate the level so if you turn it up you know in advance it's going to be loud and your ears immediately compensate.

The damage comes when 1) you don't anticipate it, like when you bend down infront of an amp to align the mike and a stupid guitarist hits a power chord or 2) via distortion, typically from crappy PA systems over eq'd and with screaming tweeters.

I love the sound of good monitors loud, I don't believe it's harmful.

• Members

A lot of it depends on duration. You can listen to loud music for short periods of time or soft music for long periods of time, but if only from a biological standpoint, ears are not made for continuous, loud sounds.

Great post Bruce.

A Radio Shack SPL meter should be one of the first gear type purchases every aspiring engineer, producer and even musician should make IMO.

Don't overlook other potential damaging sound sources. Everyday sounds from things like motorcycle engines, lawnmowers, shooting sports, heck, even hammering nails can exceed safe SPL levels and cause hearing damage with enough exposure to them. When it doubt, use the meter and check it out - and if you can't check with a meter, play it safe and wear hearing protection.

• Members

SPL Meter, but you can also use a Radio Shack Sound Level Meter, catalog #33-2050.

MID-FIELD MONITORING (WITH WESTLAKE AUDIO LC3W-12S)

For this, I placed the speakers on top of the meter over-bridge of the mixing console. To adjust the Westlake speakers for an SPL level of approximately 93 SPL (Sound Pressure Level):

1. Set SPL meter to 'A' scale (OSHA), speed = slow (OSHA), and range = 90.

2. Play wide-range complex program material.

3. Set playback for +3 bus peaks on VU scale.

4. Observe SPL results (+3 buss peaks = 93 SPL peaks).

5. Mark your monitor level control for this setting.

This results in a good, loud level for mixing popular music that can be used for a total listening time of 4 hours of mixing per day. When I mix at this level for 2-1/2 hours and then take a 30 minute break, I don

Archived