VNC - Real or Tight?

GY

• Members

Thanks for the reply and the site. VNC has been discussed here before. Maybe those guys have vanished. A few of us were using it to remote control our DAWs. It's great for that.

• Moderators

I use Remote Desktop to work from home. I can operate both of my at work workstations from my Wi-Fi laptop at home from my easy chair. I believe it works from WinVNC.

But... I really have no idea how it works. I am in this case, "the user". It sure is nice though. Sometimes ignorance really is bliss.

• Members

I knew you were looking for DAW applications, and I don't really use it for that. I am guessing that probably some of the VNC users might have moved over to a TranzPort to control their DAWs remotely.

That said, I have been impressed with TightVNC. TightVNC is the #8 project at freshmeat.net, so it seems to be pretty popular.

• Members

I use Remote Desktop to work from home. I can operate both of my at work workstations from my Wi-Fi laptop at home from my easy chair. I believe it works from WinVNC.

But... I really have no idea how it works. I am in this case, "the user". It sure is nice though. Sometimes ignorance really is bliss.

Isn't it nice to just be able to relax and be a dumb end user for awhile?

I was revisiting my roots yesterday -- roots put down when I was the first person I knew to own a PC back in the 80s and ended up being everyone's "first call" for support -- working on a very balky older machine we were frankensteining together for a buddy. All I can say is that I wish I could charge someone for the four plus hours we put in on a machine that's worth half that at my hourly rate.

Archived