New McCartney Video

• Members

I love Paul... but... the last 10 seconds was the only redeeming portion for me. George Harrison had a similar video concept ten years ago. I expect something new and fresh from my musical mentors.

• Members

Reminds me of "Let Em In" - one of those lighter tunes of his that must have taken 1/2 hour to write, if that. He's always put one or two really simple songs on most albums. I kinda admire that lack of pretension.

A bit sad to hear his voice starting to fade :cry: but All Things Must Pass.

nat whilk ii

• Members

Cute little video. But that song is exactly the type of ditty that Paul has been getting flak for since the Beatles broke up. It's like he can't help himself.

You'd never hear a song on the radio today that sounds like that though, so in a way, it's a breath of fresh air.

• Members

Cute little video. But that song is exactly the type of ditty that Paul has been getting flak for since the Beatles broke up. It's like he can't help himself.

You're right about him getting flak, but his little lightweight songs didn't start after the breakup:

Love Me Do

One After 909

I'm Down

Hello Goodbye

Why Don't We Do It In The Road

Birthday

All Together Now

even the title song Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is just a throwntogether little ditty, as iconic as it is...

nat whilk ii

• Members

You're right about him getting flak, but his little lightweight songs didn't start after the breakup:

Love Me Do

One After 909

I'm Down

Hello Goodbye

Birthday

All Together Now

even the title song Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is just a throwntogether little ditty, as iconic as it is...

nat whilk ii

Very true, but it wasn't till after the Beatles that people actually started to notice.

And you forgot Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da.

• Members

Very true, but it wasn't till after the Beatles that people actually started to notice.

And you forgot Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da.

Personally, I love Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da, and don't consider it a throwntogether tune. Most of the tunes I consider throwntogether don't even have bridges, but Ob-La-Di does. And the bridge has a great horn section...and the vocal snippets, and the whole tune has a sort of outrageous indulgence in a love of ordinary life, which, in this rather cynical age, I find radical and refreshing.

Radical in the sense of "at the root".

nat whilk ii

• Members

Did any of you who are demanding intelectual lyrics, complex melody, with clever harmonies, and a bridge ever stop to think that maybe he wrote and performed the song because he thought it would be fun. I remember reading that the Beatles worked so hard at what they did because they were having fun. I admit I catch myself being the critic quite frequently but I think people over-intelectualize entertainment these days. Between that and the "biz" no wonder most popular music sucks. (what am I talking about) :blah: :blah:

• Members

I'm Down

Hello Goodbye

Birthday

Hardly lightweights IMHO.
:)
Not exactly up to the level of Yesterday, Eleanor Rigby or Here, There And Everywhere, but all are classics in their own way.

OK... you're saying the Beatle's "Birthday" is not lightweight?!?!?

You say it's your birthday

It's my birthday too--yeah

They say it's your birthday

We're gonna have a good time

I'm glad it's your birthday

Happy birthday to you.

Yes we're going to a party party

Yes we're going to a party party

Yes we're going to a party party.

I would like you to dance--Birthday

Take a cha-cha-cha-chance-Birthday

I would like you to dance--Birthday

Dance

Well it's my birthday too--yeah

We're gonna have a good time

I'm glad it's your birthday

Happy birthday to you.

:eek:

Not saying there's anything wrong with writing a complete piece of blowaway fluff but... let's be real here. ;)

• Members

361,542 views for a little ditty, in just a few hours, is pretty good, don't you think?

Steve

It's a little ditty written by Sir Paul McCartney. That's the difference. Sort of like Reebok, or Coca Cola.

OK... you're saying the Beatle's "Birthday" is
not
lightweight?!?!?

:eek:

Not saying there's anything wrong with writing a complete piece of blowaway fluff but... let's be
real
here.
;)

How much radio play has that "little piece of blowaway fluff" had? How much money has it generated? ;)

Not that radio play = a great song, but you have to admit it's had some staying power. Again, it's not Michelle, but for what it is, a birthday greeting, it's a cool little rockin' song. IMHO of course. :)

BTW, for those who wanted to hear the other new Macca song, here's a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3Qr_dTEmA&mode=related&search=

• Members

I hope the next time I write some blowaway fluff, it gets talked about online 40 years later...

I don't know why some want to be musical artists, but then TOTALLY DON'T GET IT. I think those cute little records will still be considered master work in another 100 years. People will still sing them and know many of the words by heart. They will still recognize those four voices, too. That's what makes them great.

Steve

• Members

Just for the record, I didn't intend for the term "lightweight" to carry a derogatory sense in this discussion.

I just mean a song that sounds it was intended to be spontaneous and simple and fun with no big-deal goals or messages or technical ingenuity or other profundities in mind.

And what's wrong with that? I'd like to knowwwww...

nat whik ii

• Members

Just for the record, I didn't intend for the term "lightweight" to carry a derogatory sense in this discussion.

I just mean a song that sounds it was intended to be spontaneous and simple and fun with no big-deal goals or messages or technical ingenuity or other profundities in mind.

And what's wrong with that? I'd like to knowwwww...

nat whik ii

That's what I like to hear!

• Members

Oh.
:)

I guess it sort of sounds derogatory though, many seem to think that's a bad thing, and it has sort of plagued McCartney, that perception...

but anyway, I think heavyweight is
way
overrated.
:p
Thinking is overrated, too.

it's funny though, as a Beatle fan, I tend to stupidly click on Beatle related threads as it's the only thing I'm interested in really, and they always seem to turn into these semi-negative arguments, usually where some are saying they're overrated, or Ringo's no good, or some such BS, and then others are trying to explain why they
are
good and so on as if they need any defending for chrissakes....it's so kooky.

... or "who's better, Paul or John?" :bor:

Archived