McCartney's ambient and experimental music

• Members

Speaking of Paul MCartney, did you know he has two albums of ambient/dubby music with Youth from Killing Joke under the name The Fireman? He also did a self explanatory album called Liverpool Sound Collage.

I have only heard the brief samples of the albums available from Amazon. Has anyone heard them and have an opinion.

I must say that knowing that he did these projects increases my opinion of him and his recent work.

• Members

I bought the one called "Rushes" a few years back. I like it a lot. It's not "pure" ambient like Steve Roach or Robert Rich. It's more acoustic guitar noodling/fingerpicking, synth washes and arps, slow beats, some vocal snippets and such. Dreamy, evocative. Not groundbreaking for the genre, but still quite nice stuff.

nat whilk ii

• Members

I've heard them. One thing that struck me was some drumming that must have been McCartney, but made to sound loopish.

There's also an electronica remix album called Twin Freaks.

Plus, all his classical stuff. Ecce Cor Meum just won a Brit award for best classical.

I just read something where he said he likes to have at least 3 projects going in case one gets held up for some reason, he can switch to the other.

And then his painting, poetry, children's books, charity stuff...

He's really quite amazing, after all he's done, he could just be sitting around grumbling about everything.

Even through that divorce stuff, always positive and moving forward.

Archived