iTunes's "gapless playback" scan... WTF??

• Members

As I turned on iTunes and plugged my iPod into my computer this evening, iTunes, unprompted by me, began to scan through every single song I have on my iPod... The notice above the progress meter said, "Determining Gapless Playback Information".

At present, that's 1,993 MP3's on that baby, so this particular scan is lasting about 12+ minutes!!

WTF is a "gapless playback", and why does iTunes hafta scan through all my songs to "determine" it?

It's kinda annoying.

Any of you APPLE geeks know? (I'm on VISTA)

• Members

As I understand it, gapless playback refers to a flaw in portable media players like the ipod (and its competitors) where they are unable to play consecutive pieces of music without introducing a slight pause before the next track starts.

This is an issue if you are listening to an album like Dark Side Of The Moon where there are no pauses between tracks. I don't own an ipod but apparently you can load an alternate firmware called 'rockbox' which allows for gapless playback. Perhaps Itunes is now programmed to do something to compensate for this flaw(?).

I'm sure someone will correct me if I've got this wrong...

• Members

pted by me, began to scan through every single song I have on my iPod... The notice above the progress meter said,
"Determining Gapless Playback Information".

Yeah, the new ITunes does that.... drives me nuts, you have to hit the "X" stop button over and over...

I didn't find a way to disable this "automatic feature"... but there must be a way, unless this is another "Apple User-Ergonomic-Friendly Feature" that I HAVE to use, whether I want to or not...?

• Members

Chalk up one vote for gapless playback, it's always annoyed the hell out of me when listening to DJ mixes and live albums. Until the latest iPod software, no player that I knew of did gapless playback, so I had to copy things like DJ mixes as one long file...which of course made it difficult to find a particular song.

It's almost enough to get me to buy an iPod...and if it did WMA, I would!

• Members

Hey craig, ever maybe messed with the chapter designations in ID3v2 -- maybe you can insert chapter info with a tool

The audible format (which is really an MP3 with a DRM wrapper) has chapter and persistent bookmark capability -- so you might be able to find something to edit/access chapter data in ID3v2

I dont know enough about those format internals to really help you - I've just used large audio files (6+ hours) with chapter info, so there is, at least some echanism there you might be able to leverage

Archived